E Mail Rant

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:46 am
I love the internet (bet that you knew that :wink: ), and I think that E Mail is very handy. There are a couple of things though, that drive me up a wall.

One is people who send out jokes (usually extremely corny) to half of the immediate world. I cringe when I receive an E Mail that has the addresses of everyone to whom the person has sent the jokes. I get particularly livid, when the E Mail has been replied to, and replied to, and all the machinations show up on my screen. I don't WANT everyone to know my E Mail address, and I don't want to know the addresses of the sender's friends.

Now, my friends know not to send me jokes, unless it is a particularly good one, and they know that I, personally, would enjoy it. After insulting a few people over 6 years ago, my friends understand that I do not appreciate this type of interaction. Drop me a note. Say hello. But DON'T send me corny jokes.

The other no-no to me is E Mail attachments. I am concerned about viruses, and will delete an E Mail with an attachment. Hey, if a person can't learn how to send a message right on the body of the E Mail, maybe he needs to be barred from sending E Mails! Evil or Very Mad

To understand the genesis of this rant, let me explain. I am the primary user of this computer. My husband used to only use it for checking out banking stuff. He doesn't even know how to send an E Mail. Recently, he reconnected with an old friend. Since then, like clockwork, the friend sends us these jokes, with all the names, and the computer thingies on them.

OK. Rant over. What bothers you about E Mail?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,798 • Replies: 23
No top replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:53 am
can I say LOL a little and I cannot find your email for nothing Smile
good to rant sometimes :wink:
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:24 am
I hate getting some heartwarming message with instructions to forward it
to ten of my friends. Sorry folks. The love stops here.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:27 am
my peeve is forward this missing kid one - i usually go find it;s false then reply to everyone possible they need to check things out before blindly forwarding
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:32 am
husker wrote:
my peeve is forward this missing kid one - i usually go find it;s false then reply to everyone possible they need to check things out before blindly forwarding

I have one friend who always believes urban legends, and sends them to everyone. After she sent me one, I E Mailed her a Snopes article that debunked what she had said. She got very insulted, and said that she didn't care about the Snopes article. BTW, I just got another one from her a few days ago. (The one about a person being warned in a gas station that someone went into her car). I started to Google "Snopes", but then figured, "Why bother"?

Another thing. If it is necessary to send out something to multiple addresses, why don't people send it bcc?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:34 am
Well, I agree, Phoenix. I try and respond if I know the person, but once, an e-mail replicated itself forty times, and I had to stay up half the night getting rid of it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:35 am
Well, it wasn't your fault Letty, but how the hell did that happen?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:36 am
What bugs me about email? Easy - my typical morning greeting of

Inbox: You have 549 New Messages Laughing

Believe me - I have "Notify on receipt of new message" turned off :wink:

Seriously, I do get a lot of email, to several email addresses, and there's a bunch I never see on top of that. I use a pretty good spamfilter which catches tons of the junk, and I have some sorting rules set up too; for instance, anything with more than 10 addresses in the "To" line or the word "forward" or the text strings "forward*", "fwd" or "fwd*" in the subject line goes into a folder set up for that stuff - about 99% of which are just the "joke of the day", "Urgent Warning! - My Freind Just Sent Me This News of a Horrible New Internet Threat" or "!!!!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!! DON"T BREAK THIS CHAIN!!!!!!!!!", or the "You Won't Believe This!!!" varieties, and never get any further. Likewise, anything with an attachment goes into a separate folder which is set aside for that - and if I don't know the sender and expect the attachment, out it goes, too. Even then, I always virus/trojan/worm scan and general yuckware scan attachments before opening - a little more effort, yeah, but a helluva lot less inconvenient than repairing damage.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:38 am
And while we're ranting, I hate email without subject lines.
And I hate it when someone replies to one of those so that the subject
line is

"Re: "
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:39 am
My aunt sends me multiple stupid jokes constantly. I'll easily get 6 emails at a time from her.

I'm in the same boat. Most of those "email" jokes are absolutely horrific. I usually don't even read them.

When I send out a mass email though, it's because it's something that's usually very twisted and not something you're going to get 18 times again in the next month. Like the slut test. I sent that out in an annoying, "everyone gets to see everyone's email address" fashion.

And I love pulling the snopes thing on people. I did that the other day.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:41 am
I'm thinking of starting my own dumb email letter. Maybe I'll write about how if you don't masturbate at least twice today, your family will be killed. If you send this to 5 people, you'll live to see another day.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:43 am
I should mention that nothin' with an empty subject line even gets to a folder ... if the sender doesn't wanna gimme a clue, the hell with the message.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:43 am
I'm tired of the constant insinuations that my penis is small and on top of that I can't get it up..... that's a personal matter and I didn't ask for any help......
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:44 am
At the risk of sounding petty, my peeve is my family sending email photos. Dragging everyone around the computer for a look is just not the same as showing them a photo. I feel like a jerk if I delete them and since I'm never ever satisfied with computer prints I have to transfer the photos to photoshop and send them to the lab for processing if I actually want a copy of the image.

I call it the curse of the digital camera.

It is so much nicer to open a letter and find a photo enclosed.

Perhaps I put too much value on photos.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:46 am
Phoenix, I don't know how it happened. I'm clueless about such things.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:56 am
look on the bright side;

figure out what the last year of communication would have cost you if it had been in the form of posted letters!

[mind you, the little problem of 'memoirs' would be taken care of.]
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:56 am
boomerang- I don't think that you are being petty. If I get a picture in an E Mail, I figure that it is worth a two second look, and then I will hit the delete button. If I really love the picture, I will save it to a photo program, but I rarely print them.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:58 am
boomerang wrote:
......Perhaps I put too much value on photos.

fancy putting your soul into an envelope, adding a stamp, and sending it off! Shocked
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:58 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm tired of the constant insinuations that my penis is small and on top of that I can't get it up..... that's a personal matter and I didn't ask for any help......

Now, now Bi- don't be so defensive. I used to get those (until I blocked them). I figured that it had nothing to do with me. Are those ads hitting a nerve? :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:08 am
I dunno - lately I've been startin' to be a little insecure about my bust - and I'm startin' to feel left out, 'cause I have no mortage to refinance Laughing
0 Replies