Good reason not to own a snake

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:45 am
Boa constrictor in Ohio tries to eat woman

An Ohio woman called 911 in a panic Thursday afternoon with ample reason: A 5 1/2-foot long boa constrictor she had rescued a day earlier had wrapped itself around her neck, was biting her face and wouldn't let go.

"Please hurry," the frightened woman told a dispatcher. "He's biting my nose."

The dispatcher sent firefighters and police to the woman's home in Sheffield Lake, a community about 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of Cleveland in Lorain County, but seemed stumped.

"I've never heard of this before," the dispatcher is heard saying in a recording of the woman's call.

Rescuers arrived within minutes and found the woman lying in the bloodied driveway of her home, the snake holding tight just as she described. A firefighter cut off the snake's head with a pocket knife and the 45-year-old woman, who hasn't been identified, was taken by ambulance to a hospital for treatment.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/2017/07/boa_constrictor_in_ohio_tries_to_eat_woman
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 564 • Replies: 16

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:27 am
@Linkat,
Oy vey..

I lived in Ohio a couple of times, age a few months until age 4, and then for a summer when I was twelve. Both times we were quite near Wright Field, which my childhood memory recalls had tall grassy areas. I was short then, though, so hard to figure the height of the nearby grasses in the 1940's. No snakes showed up to snag little me.

I wonder where in Ohio this Boa situation happened..

Edit - Wright Field was and probably still is in Dayton. Don't think I've ever been to Cleveland..
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:28 am
@ossobucotemp,
Sheffield Lake, a community about 25 miles (40 kilometers) west of Cleveland

But she "rescued" the snake - don't think many boas are native to Cleveland, OH.
centrox

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 11:58 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
A 5 1/2-foot long boa constrictor she had rescued a day earlier had wrapped itself around her neck

A candidate for a Darwin award. Didn't she realise that boa constrictors like, er, constricting?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:02 pm
@centrox,

alternate headline: Snake causes rescuer to become rescuee
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:03 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
But she "rescued" the snake - don't think many boas are native to Cleveland, OH.

They are usually pets that have escaped. They can get into houses and apartments via ducts and gaps and sometimes kill people. In 2009 A 2-year-old Florida girl died after being strangled by a pet python that escaped from its aquarium and attacked her in her crib. In 2013 a boa constrictor escaped from a pet store in Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada, and killed two children. Seventeen people died from constrictor snake related incidents in the United States between 1978 and 2012.

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:02 pm
@centrox,
This was in response to ossobucotemp - who initially was wondering where this snake attack occurred as she lived in Ohio - she then went and corrected herself - the reference to being native to Ohio was a smart aleck response.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:10 pm
@Linkat,
I'm not a snake fan, in contrast to others wiser than I am, here.
I'm sorry for the woman.
I get the snake.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Also, just call me osso.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:12 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
the reference to being native to Ohio was a smart aleck response.

In England we have Norfolk.
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:18 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I'm not a snake fan, in contrast to others wiser than I am, here.
I'm sorry for the woman.
I get the snake.

I am honored that you will allow me this privilege
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:28 pm
I have respect for any wild animal. Can't understand keeping dangerous ones for pets.
0 Replies

kk4mds

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 05:14 pm
@Linkat,
That's a good reason to know what you're doing. The first thing you learn about constrictors is don't let them around your neck. The second thing is don't lose track of their head and tail.

I've been a snake owner, mostly constrictors, for over 50 years and have never had a problem.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 09:00 am
It's a good reason not to have a dangerous animal. A friend of mine has a corn snake. It's quite affectionate, and the only things that it threatens are rats and mice.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 09:02 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
In England we have Norfolk.

"We're the boys from Norfolk.
We don't drink.
We don't smoke.
Norfolk!"
centrox

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 11:20 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
We're the boys from Norfolk.

The further out bits of Essex are a bit suss too, if you ask me. Look at Weeley. Claims to fame: has two small local parks, was host to the Weeley Festival in 1971. Facilities include a village hall, a McDonald's famously attended by Chelsea manager José Mourinho, and a Premier Inn.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 02:02 pm
@Linkat,
Quote Boston Herald:
Quote:
A 5 1/2-foot long boa constrictor she had rescued a day earlier had wrapped itself around her neck, was biting her face and wouldn't let go.

That's the problem with giant vipers. They lack gratitude.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Good reason not to own a snake
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 07:41:06