Birthdates - are some months more common?

Ceili

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:13 pm
Ok. This may be a little convoluted but...

I was wondering if there are more people born in one month than all the rest. Or perhaps each country has their own monopoly on one month.

For example, I seem to know a plethora of virgos. It would make sense up here in the frozen north...Cold weather and sex, kinda go together. January is a bitch, weather wise - what else is there to do. But is it just me, do I happen to know more than the average amount of people born in the months of August or September??? or is this truly a phenomenon.
Does Oz, for example have a hold on may or june?

Throughout the recent history, mini baby-booms have been attributed to ice storms or blackouts caused by massive power outages. So are there an even amount of birthdates scattered around the calendar years or is it my imagination?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,174 • Replies: 7
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:34 pm
Hi Ceili

In my experience in Oz we have a preponderance of September birthdays. Which would mean it's not cold weather sex, it's new years eve drunken monkey sex.

Or maybe astrology is a science and your sign and mine are naturally attracted to virgos <snigger> and therefore you know more of them then other signs.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:48 pm
Hiya Hinge, so aussies prefer hot sweaty, sex.....interesting.

Apparently, according to all my friends in the know, at least zodiacally(is that a word?) Gemini's should not have anything to do with virgo's.
However the ex, both my kids and half my family are born under the sign.
That aside, I have thought the same thing about new year's monkey sex.

I've been there, shall we say.

...oh and I'm not baseing this question solely on my family. But maybe, it is just my own reality.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 08:56 pm
We Aussies are very fussy about sex. It's got to the stage where I won't have sex with a girl unless she says 'Ok, I'll have sex with you.'

No virgos in my immediate family but I do know a bunch. And I'm a Pisces, whatever the heck that means....
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:29 pm
Have a look at this, pretty scary diagnosis'.....

Patterns found that tie birth month to diseases?

Adults born in January, February had highest risk of brain cancer.

A study last year linking birth month with the sleep disorder narcolepsy found:

The number of narcoleptics born in March (11.9 percent) exceeded the number in the general population (8.5 percent).

A significant drop in the number of narcoleptics born in September (5.6 percent) compared with the number normally expected (8.7 percent).

Pisces (Feb. 19-March 20): Governed by Neptune and symbolized by the fish. Compassionate, introspective, artistic. Often dreamy and impractical. May be prone to schizophrenia, epilepsy or bipolar disorder.

It may sound like some kind of new madcap astrology, but a number of scientists are becoming convinced that our birth month may predispose us to particular diseases later in life.

Studies have shown that schizophrenia is more common among those born in late winter or early spring. Multiple sclerosis is associated with births in April, May and June. And epilepsy occurs more frequently in those with birthdays from December to March.

The findings may seem whimsical or - depending on which month you eat cake and unwrap presents - alarming. But researchers hope the emerging patterns will offer clues into the origins of a range of illnesses that, despite advances in treatment, have no known cause.

"It makes you think differently about disease," said Dr. Emmanuel Mignot, professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine, who has studied the association between birth month and narcolepsy.

"Most people tend to think that disease is really something that is determined by your genes or what happens just before the disease occurs," he said. "Maybe there are a number of things that can happen well before."

In the latest study, published in the current edition of the journal Neurology, scientists at the National Cancer Institute found that adults born in January and February had the highest risk of brain cancer. The paper's lead author, NCI epidemiologist Alina V. Brenner, is the first to offer a caveat: The findings could be the result of chance.

But separate studies in Britain and Norway have identified a similar correlation between birth season and risk of brain tumors in children, with a statistical "excess" of births in winter and a "deficit" in summer.

If the association turns out to be real, Brenner said, it suggests that exposures early in a child's development - at any point from conception to the first few months after birth - could have a hand in the genesis of the disease. Though it's not clear what those exposures are, they could include viruses, environmental toxins or even something as seemingly benign as the weather.

Seasonal birth patterns have been most firmly established in schizophrenia patients. Several years ago, a group of Danish researchers reported that the risk of developing the disorder was highest among those born in February and March and lowest among those with birthdays in August and September.

The leading explanation implicates a seasonal infection that could be disturbing the child's normal brain development, which may help explain why other central nervous system disorders are also more common in those with winter births.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:32 pm
I've wondered that too.
Seems like in my family the majority are born in Feb, June, July, Aug....Sept & Dec.

So lets see.....that would make the months of March, May, Sept, Oct, & Nov the time of conception. So...its cooler weather.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:45 pm
A recent survey suggests that more people are born on October 5 in the United States than any other day. October 5 holds a not-so-surprising significance, as conception would have fallen on New Year's Eve. ;-)

The least common birth date in the U.S. is May 22nd.
www.rexanne.com/bday-info.html
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:40 am
Yeah I think my baby was a New Year's Eve conception. Funny thing is my birthday is New Year's Day so I think I was celebrating both and to boot the cold weather. Her birthday is September 30. My other is November 13th. And the other seems like another cold weather holiday type baby - Valentine conceived baby. But what is the deal? We have sex year round?
0 Replies