Scientists Reverse Paralysis in Dogs

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 05:36 am
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041204/D86OHTFG0.html

Quote:
Dogs with paralyzed hind legs regained the ability to walk after getting a shot of a chemical cousin of antifreeze that helped repair nerve cells in their damaged spinal cords, scientists reported.

Purdue University researchers who led the project hope the approach can soon be tried in people, but caution that there are significant differences between human and canine spinal cords.

Quote:
"This stuff is kind of like a radiator stop-leak for the nervous system. The polymer spreads out and forms a seal over the damaged areas in the nerve cells and allows the membrane below to reconstruct itself," said Borgens, director of Purdue's Center for Paralysis Research.

He said PEG also appears to prevent secondary tissue death that often causes more damage than the original injury. Borgens said the agent only covers damaged cells and tissues when injected into the blood stream.

Purdue has enlisted a yet-to-be-announced corporate sponsor that will make PEG in a form suitable for human clinical trials. Pending federal approval, Borgens hopes those trials can begin within about 18 months on people with hours-old or days-old spinal injuries.

If this works on people too, what a breakthrough this will be!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 1
No top replies

benconservato

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:35 am
it just worried me the long term outcome using something, not unlike anti-freeze on dogs or humans.
Suffering is not my big happy point, for humans or dogs. It is interesting though.
0 Replies