Classic Short Story: Chekhov

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 06:44 am
The Lady with the Dog by Anton Chekhov

The story of a chance meeting of a man and a woman and what happened.

Please follow the link to the text of the story. If you have not read the story, please do so and we will have a discussion.

Here are a couple of questions to get us started:

1) Who is telling the story?

2) Who are the four most important characters in the story?

3) In the opening paragraphs we find Gurov and Anna vacationing in Yalta. At this point in his life, what is Gurov's attitude toward women, and, likewise, what does Anna feel about men?

http://www.bibliomania.com/0/5/116/frameset.html

Sorry. I'm not sure why but this link does not go directly to the story. The link will take you to Bibliomania. Use the directory of authors to find Chekhov. A list of stories will appear. Click on The Lady with the Dog.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,598 • Replies: 4
No top replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 08:01 pm
Hi hazlitt - Bibliomania is a nice looking site at first glance, but its very quirky - and it doesn't allow you to link as we see above. I found the story at another site, hope you don't mind me posting it.

The Literature Network - Chekhov
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 09:26 pm
Thanks Larry
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 12:03 pm
This is one of Chekhov's greatest and most famous stories--along with "The Darling" probably his most anthologized. What is especially beautiful about the story is the gradual growth of feeling by Gurov, transforming what he thought would be a casual fling into a profound love affair. And the ending is a delicately wrought piece of perfection, showing the state of the two lovers as they face their new emotional situation. It has beeen often imitated by lesser writers but never equalled. The secret of Chekhov, to me, is his light touch--his subtlety of psychology and phrasing. This is unique in world literature, certainly in the Russian tradition, where his only real ancestor is Turgenev.
0 Replies

Hazlitt

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 06:55 pm
Larry R.

Thanks for your good comment. It is little wonder that the story is often repeated or imitated. Gurov and Anna experienced something that has happened to many others.

Here are the opening three paragraphs:

"IT was said that a new person had appeared on the sea-front: a lady with a little dog. Dmitri Dmitritch Gurov, who had by then been a fortnight at Yalta, and so was fairly at home there, had begun to take an interest in new arrivals. Sitting in Verney's pavilion, he saw, walking on the sea-front, a fair-haired young lady of medium height, wearing a béret; a white Pomeranian dog was running behind her.

"And afterwards he met her in the public gardens and in the square several times a day. She was walking alone, always wearing the same béret, and always with the same white dog; no one knew who she was, and every one called her simply "the lady with the dog."

"If she is here alone without a husband or friends, it wouldn't be amiss to make her acquaintance," Gurov reflected.
Quote:

I am struck by all the meaning packed into the first paragraph. "It was said..."Gurov had been there vacationing by himself for two weeks and had perhaps been talking to other men about the women they saw, or perhaps the lack thereof. So he's now interested in "new arrivals." It almost sounds like new merchandise in a store. He's pretty impersonal in his attitude toward women.

What all do you think is packed into his thought that "she is here alone without her husband..."?
0 Replies