Who is your favorite author?

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 06:25 pm
I personally like Malcom Gladwell his book Blink got me hooked on his perspective on things I've read it 3 or 4 times.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 1,061 • Replies: 26
Topic Closed

View best answer, chosen by MKABRSTI
roger
  Selected Answer

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 07:25 pm
@MKABRSTI,
You should really take a look at Levitt's & Dubner's Freakonomics.
MKABRSTI

Fri 21 Jul, 2017 07:46 pm
@roger,
As a matter of fact, I have a copy of it! I didn't read it all (first few chapters) a friend is borrowing it currently but I liked what I read.
0 Replies

centrox

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 01:29 am
My favourite author is Charles Dickens.
edgarblythe

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 08:10 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

My favourite author is Charles Dickens.

I can't name just one, but Dickens has the inventive sentences I admire most.
0 Replies

Roberta

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 10:24 pm
One of my favorite authors is William Faulkner. He's a challenge, and I like that. I also like Doctorow. I'm currently rereading Loon Lake, IMO a brilliant novel.
MKABRSTI

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 10:33 pm
@Roberta,
Sounds good, I may check out their books in the near future. One book I found kind of challenging was one I read a long time ago called The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 10:51 pm
@Roberta,
I read one of his short stories called "Tomorrow". It was really good in a lot of ways, so I tried "The Sound and the Fury". It totally defeated me.
Kolyo

Sat 22 Jul, 2017 11:03 pm
@MKABRSTI,
MKABRSTI wrote:

I personally like Malcom Gladwell his book Blink got me hooked on his perspective on things I've read it 3 or 4 times.

That's a bit ironic when you consider what BLINK was about. Smile

I hope you found new info with each read, but Gladwell probably wanted you to go with your first impression.
0 Replies

Roberta

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 01:50 am
@roger,
roger, I liked The Sound and the Fury, but I liked The Light in August more, and I thought it was a bit more accessible.

I also liked As I Lay Dying. I read these a long time ago. Maybe my opinion would change. I might try rereading.
centrox

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 02:50 am
I said Dickens was my 'favourite', that doesn't mean I only ever read his works. I am not like the lady member of JASNA (the Jane Austen Society of North America) who, interviewed by the BBC outside Austen's home in Yorkshire, said "I only ever read Jane Austen.". When the reporter asked "What happens when you have read them all?", she replied "Why, I just start again at the beginning!". I know someone whose sister aged 35 does this with Harry Potter. I do re-read Dickens, but at intervals. I also like HG Wells, Kipling, Tobias Smollett, Jules Verne, Stanislaw Lem, Javier Marias (in English), among others, in that happy-to-read-again way. Oh and Michel Houellebecq (again in English). But I also love to find new authors to like.

I started a job with a long commute a few years ago, and I started putting audiobooks onto my phone to listen to on the bus and while waiting. I download 'em. Don't ask how. I have to admit a guilty pleasure - WEB Griffin. I have listened my way through the Brotherhood of War, The Corps, and Men at War series.

0 Replies

centrox

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 06:12 am
Why, I wonder, did I get a downvote for that?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 06:26 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

roger, I liked The Sound and the Fury, but I liked The Light in August more, and I thought it was a bit more accessible.

I also liked As I Lay Dying. I read these a long time ago. Maybe my opinion would change. I might try rereading.

The Light in August is my favorite Faulkner, too.
Sturgis

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 03:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
I liked Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom!
edgarblythe

Sun 23 Jul, 2017 04:29 pm
@Sturgis,
Also, Sanctuary.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:41 am
After my literary brother told me how well they went well together, I spent one whole winter reading Faulkner and consuming bourbon. He was right. Yeah, Absalom, Absalom was pretty good. I liked Light in August, Intruder in the Dust and the Scopes Trilogy as well. Faulkner wasn't above penning a potboiler from time to time. I read some short stories that were entertaining if not particularly challenging.

I think that if asked to name my favorite author I'd say Thomas Hardy. I love his use of language, his descriptions of nature and the pastoral world, and his unsparing pessimism.
0 Replies

asharmaanji

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 05:15 am
@MKABRSTI,
J.K ROWLING
MKABRSTI

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 04:13 pm
@asharmaanji,
I've never read any of her work although I find it awesome as well as I very much admire her for taking Stephen King out of #1 Selling Author spot and replacing him. :-)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 07:26 pm
I'm going to go with PG Wodehouse. EF Benson comes close with his gift of observation http://newtownreviewofbooks.com.au/2013/07/25/e-f-benson-his-life-and-times-an-appreciation-by-walter-mason/ but Wodehouse is the author for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 25 Jul, 2017 08:05 pm
I don't really like questions of this type, because I like different authors for different reasons. Overall, though, I'd say Émile Zola . . . if I didn't say Jane Austen.

1. Forums
  2. » Who is your favorite author?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:36:20