Who is your favorite author?

Susmariosep

Wed 26 Jul, 2017 02:52 pm
@Setanta,
"I don't really like questions of this type, because I like different authors for different reasons. Overall, though, I'd say Émile Zola . . . if I didn't say Jane Austen." -Setanta

Dear Setanta, have we met before?

I want to ask you on what you get from reading the thoughts of other humans, namely, do you have at all any thought from them that you care to share with me, that has to do with objective reality outside of thoughts in your mind or in the minds of your read (past passive participle = adjective) authors?

What about everyone here in re what they like with having read authors, suppose you also read what is in your respective minds, Do you have anything from your very own personal thinking, at all?

Okay, dear readers here, let us all sit back and await with bated breath to witness the reactions of posters here, to tell me and you readers here, what they have inside their mind, aside from the thoughts they had gotten from the minds of their read authors.

Here is what I have come to in my reading my own mind:

"The default status of things in the totality of reality is existence."

Some posters will react with asking me, what I am talking about.

Okay, here, read carefully:

Is there some thought in your mind that is from your very own personal thinking, and not from the thoughts of authors you have read?

I like very much to read what you have from your very own personal thinking on things that you have experience of, from since when you started to think on things at all, whatever things, like roses and babies, the sun and the moon in the sky, subatomic particles, massive distant galaxies, ghosts and demons, etc. etc. etc.

You still don’t get the idea at all from me?

You don’t ever have had any thoughts in your mind that is from your very personal own thinking with your brain, at all?
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:15 am
I don't have any favorite because of the various genre. I am presently focusing on books of creative non-fiction. Stuff like Mark Bowden writes. He doe a great job but there are many others who just schlub around by assuming a huge cast of characters can overcome problems with their inabilities to make history readable.

My present fav for biography is Deborah Solomon, she makes the lives of artist more than a collection of opinions.

Science writing has me voting to retire Sean Carroll's number as the present champeen.Hes a much more convincing writer than Darwin because he assumes a basic scholarly level of understanding

Don't get me going on cook books or DIY **** ,there are many more clowns than artists in this category.
Foofie

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 02:19 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

My favourite author is Charles Dickens.

He is my favorite author. He died to early. He supposedly worked himself to death with his continual readings. His novels were originally newspaper installments. He was a reformer for children. I believe the character Fagin in Oliver Twist was just a way to make parents feel guilty, if they let their children become waifs, and then fall under the hegemony of a Fagin type character. He himself was in a workhouse, I believe, as a child.

I asssume the character that said she was "an orfling" (orphan) was a word he coined for the story; however, I could be totally wrong. I think the moniker orfling gives a feeling for life in the 19th century England, and the command of English many had.

Regardless, I have not read all his books, due to an inability to put another book down that I see. A button, years ago in a nyc bookshop: So many books, so little time.
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 02:33 pm
@farmerman,
"Science writing has me voting to retire Sean Carroll's number as the present champeen.Hes a much more convincing writer than Darwin because he assumes a basic scholarly level of understanding." -farmerman

I can't get you.

Who is greater in term of science, Caroll or Darwin?

Please rewrite your text:
"Science writing has me voting to retire Sean Carroll's number as the present champeen.Hes a much more convincing writer than Darwin because he assumes a basic scholarly level of understanding."

Dear readers here, this is what I see with posters in a web forum: people saying things without any depth at all much less substance.

What is it to say something with depth and substance?

Here, like for example, in regard to the difference between science and philosophy, I tell you, Oh ye readers of internet forums, I tell you that science is a self-censoring wherefore deficient knowledge, while philosophy is open-ended, open to all ideas, because it is grounded on truths, facts, logic, and the best thoughts of mankind from since the dawn of man's conscious intelligence.

Science today is limited to probing matter, but when you ask scientists, what is matter, they will get lost, for they don't really have any certain idea about what is matter.

In fact they equate wrongly that matter and existence are convertible: matter is existence and existence is matter, that is totally woefully wrong, why?

Because existence is broader than matter.

Here, think about this statement from me:
"The default status of things in the totality of reality is existence."

I ask you, suppose you replace the word existence with the word matter, will it make any complete sense to you at all?

Here, read this sentence which replaces the word existence with the word matter:

"The default status of things in the totality of reality is matter."

That does not make sense at all, because consciousness is not matter.

You don't accept that from me?

Okay, then tell me, what do you say about this text I will now write for you, as follows:
"You and your partner in a conversation must both have consciousness to talk together and understand each other; but you can't talk with a pebble, for a pebble is all matter, nothing of any consciousness with a pebble, still you can talk about a pebble with another conscious entity like yourself, namely, a fellow conscious entity i.e. another human.

Okay, everyone here, please let us talk about things you come to, with having read your favorite authors, Do they make any statement at all with depth and substance?
farmerman

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:09 pm
@Susmariosep,
may I ask you. Are you familiar with the term of"retiring ones number as a champeen"?

Anyway, the question was all about WHO IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR, not WHO IS MY FAVORITE SCIENTIST.

Get it?

As far as the rest, I suppose you've made a point satisfactory to you, but Im not sure what it was.

As far as what philosophy is, Ill bet all of you wanted to be phyiciwt but couldn't handle the math.Like Social Sciences, Philosophy is a scholarly language seeking something relevant to accomplish.

Are you sure youre notFil Alb.?
farmerman

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
WHAT IS A PHILOSOPHERS MOST PROBING QUSTION??

A: "YOU WANT FRIES WID DAT"?
Susmariosep

Fri 28 Jul, 2017 01:51 pm
@farmerman,
Dear farmerman, I am so glad that I have found a poster to talk with me, thanks.

You have brought up several issues in this thread on Who is your favorite author.

Honestly, I don't think I have any favorite author at all.

By the way, who is the author of this thread, let me find out, be back right away.

It is one Olivier5, I don't know him from Adam and Eve - forgive the reference from the Bible, it is already an English idiom, not to know someone from since Adam and Eve, hahahaha!

You see, dear farmerman, I am a newbie here and so happy to be here because this forum does not ban posters easily; otherwise I should already be banned in perpetuity, for like saying that atheists are into nothing but inanity, vacuity, stupidity, and insanity, always running away with evasiveness, as they indulge in the cult of what I call Acquired Intelligence Deficiency Syndrome.

I know posters here only by what they write on and how they write as coming from how they think, if at all they do think.

Okay, dear farmerman, I don't know you except from the words you pour forth in your posts.

I guess it is the same from your part in regard to your knowing me, here.

I just reproduced your last two posts below, and let's see what you and I are keen to exchange thoughts on, in re thoughts from authors who got published at all.

When you have got a lot of money, you can get to the best selling list in NYT, by buying your own nonsense book, say a million copies of in one week's time, which you also get to have printed and put in all kinds of distribution outlets, even in street corners print outlets.

Think about that.

Annex
Quote:
From farmerman:

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:09 pm
@Susmariosep,
may I ask you. Are you familiar with the term of"retiring ones number as a champeen"?

Anyway, the question was all about WHO IS MY FAVORITE AUTHOR, not WHO IS MY FAVORITE SCIENTIST.

Get it?

As far as the rest, I suppose you've made a point satisfactory to you, but Im not sure what it was.

As far as what philosophy is, Ill bet all of you wanted to be phyiciwt but couldn't handle the math.Like Social Sciences, Philosophy is a scholarly language seeking something relevant to accomplish.

Are you sure youre notFil Alb.?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thu 27 Jul, 2017 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
WHAT IS A PHILOSOPHERS MOST PROBING QUSTION??

A: "YOU WANT FRIES WID DAT"?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:20:08