You can't own a cat and dog at the same time!

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:44 pm
pet-ownership law...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=2&u=/nm/20041202/od_nm/life_pets_dc

Townsfolk Face Fight Over Cats and Dogs

Thu Dec 2, 8:48 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - Animal lovers and lawmakers face a dog and cat fight over how many pets residents may own at the same time in the small Utah town of Provo, officials said on Wednesday.

The current law allows residents to own up to two dogs or two cats at the same time but not a dog and cat together.

Provo resident Susan Sewell said her children had picked out a kitten from a local animal shelter, but burst into tears when they were turned down because the family already owned too many pets.

"My daughter fell in love with this little white kitten and was holding it in her hands," Sewell said. "I just wanted to adopt a cat and they said I couldn't because I already had a cat and a dog."

Provo City Council Chairman Dave Knecht, who owns a golden retriever and used to have a cat, said "two of each species is reasonable." He believes the law was enacted to help animal control officers.

"Having two of each is not necessarily a problem," said Knecht, who has proposed allowing people to own two cats and two dogs.

He knows many people who already have two dogs and two cats and the law is not always enforced as it should be.

"I want to find out what the public wants," Knecht said, "and have reasonable rules reflect reality."

According to Knecht, the Provo City Council will address the pet issue on Dec. 7 and vote on whether to change the law.

Sewell says her children are anxiously awaiting the outcome. "The children keep asking if the law has been changed yet." she said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 832 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:59 pm
good thing that ain't a national law -- my parents would've been breakin' the law for 11 years in a row (1976-1987)...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:02 pm
Maybe it's like the law here, where it's really the total number of pets that are in question. The article isn't very clear on that.

Actually, if you re-read it, it is about total number of pets.

Quote:
they were turned down because the family already owned too many pets.

Quote:
"I just wanted to adopt a cat and they said I couldn't because I already had a cat and a dog."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 08:54 pm
oh, i took this
Quote:
but not a dog and cat together
to mean "but not (1) dog & (1) cat together"... Confused

hey Joahaeyo! what's the deal?
0 Replies