Sexual abstinence drives stretch facts

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:02 am
I shall cross-post to the politics thread....

Sexual abstinence drives stretch facts

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. youngsters participating in federally funded abstinence-only sex-education courses often get inaccurate or misleading information, the Washington Post has reported.

Reuters Photo

According to a congressional staff analysis, some courses teach that touching a person's genitals can lead to pregnancy, abortion can lead to sterility and suicide, and half the gay male teenagers in the United States have tested positive for the AIDS (news - web sites) virus, the Post said.

The report, prepared for California Democratic Rep. Henry Waxman (news, bio, voting record), reviewed the curricula of more than a dozen projects aimed at preventing teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease, the Post said.

The Bush administration will provide $170 million (88 million pounds) next year to groups that teach abstinence only. Several million children age nine to 18 have participated in more than 100 federal abstinence programs since they began in 1999.

The report found that 11 of the 13 most commonly used curricula in such programs contained unproved claims, subjective conclusions or outright falsehoods regarding reproductive health, the Post said.

Waxman's staff found the curricula included misconceptions such as a 43-day-old foetus is a "thinking person," HIV (news - web sites) can be spread through tears and sweat and condoms failed to prevent HIV transmission in 31 percent of the time in heterosexual intercourse, the Post said.

"I have no objection to talking about abstinence as a sure-fire way to prevent unwanted pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. I don't think we should lie to our children about science," Waxman told the newspaper
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 671 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:47 pm
Good God.

This is ridiculous.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
Eva wrote:
Good God.

This is ridiculous.

It is worse than ridiculous. It is obscene. It would be tantamount to teaching that the earth is flat, just because the people in power think it is.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:51 pm
well I, for one, support the idea of schools/teachers lying to students. It's great preparation for when they become adults and have to deal with their employers as well as vote in elections.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:51 pm
<shaking head...I am speechless>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:53 pm
You know dys, I think that you are onto something. If it teaches nothing more than making kids think for themselves, the entire issue has had a good effect.

I just feel sorry for the kids who accept everything that they learn in school wholesale! Sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:57 pm
if one were to complile a list of things our teachers told us that were lies, the preface would take 20 volumes.
0 Replies