Canada Ends Permit Program for Foreign Strippers

DrewDad

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 08:57 am
Canada Ends Permit Program for Foreign Strippers

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Canadian government, under fire because one of its ministers has been accused of giving preferential treatment to a Romanian stripper, said on Wednesday it was scrapping a program that handed out temporary work permits to foreign-born exotic dancers.

Human Resources Minister Joe Volpe said it was clear that not all Canadians supported the program, which granted permits to around 660 foreign strippers to work in Canada last year.

"I didn't feel in the slightest bit comfortable with the program and I didn't think there was any justification for it," he told reporters.

Immigration Minister Judy Sgro is facing daily calls to resign over her decision to grant a temporary residency permit to Alina Balaican, a Romanian stripper who had worked on Sgro's election campaign earlier this year. She also extended Balaican's expired work permit.

Sgro denies she has done anything wrong, saying she acted on humanitarian grounds.

But opposition legislators complain that the speed with which Sgro helped Balaican contrasts with the long wait facing other applicants for temporary residency. Canada's ethics commissioner has already been asked to examine the case.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 646 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:43 am
C'MON!!!

Next time I'm in Montreal, I want to see more than just naked Canucks! That's like taking half of the rides out of Disney World.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:22 am
Maybe they'll get visas to the U.S. instead.
That'd work.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:03 pm
hmmm....I don't like that idea ehbeth...then they'll come rushing over the bridge into Detroit...and this city does not need any more strip clubs! :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:07 pm
I didn't realize you were that close, Kristie.

Of course, there is a difference in what can be revealed on opposite sides of the bridge. Ask Slappy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 12:11 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I didn't realize you were that close, Kristie.

Of course, there is a difference in what can be revealed on opposite sides of the bridge. Ask Slappy.

I live about 15 mins from the bridge. And there are about 8 strip clubs within a 10 mile radius from my house...all along the infamous 8 Mile Rd.

Well, I know that if she's nekkid, there's no booze sold. Other than that, generally speaking all the clubs by me are topless g-string kinds of places. Downtown there might be some nekkid ones...I don't know if the Bazouke Lounge is or not.....hmmmm.....

I do know a lot of guys go over the bridge to see our Friends from the North nekkid!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 01:04 pm
The rules here are more than a bit more lax.
0 Replies