Parents advised doctor not to report sexual abused case.

DJhay

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 02:44 pm
During history taking and examination you realized that the small girl was abused sexually? You challenged the parents and they agreed that one of relatives did that but they do not want a shame in the family and they demanded the doctor to keep it confidential. They said that they will make sure this will not happen again.
By the law you should report this case. Is that in the best interest of child and family? What should you do?

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 02:58 pm
@DJhay,
Report it.
Family shame be damned. These behaviors show up in quite a variety of families.
Not reporting it only lets this stuff go on and on and on.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 03:03 pm
Report the case. If the law and also your medical registration body require it, you must do this. "Shame on the family" is a backward idea that has no place in your consideration.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 03:12 pm
@centrox,
In my lifetime, the shame on the family thing has gotten a lot thinner, but I do remember it, luckily not from my own immediate small family - except maybe the Boston cousins, somewhat older than me... with a lot of set ways. Not that they were bad people, I don't mean that, but the primary cousin I talked to was pretty set on the roles of men and women re who was family important. Me, even back then I was off course on all that stuff.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 03:14 pm
@DJhay,
You report it and let the family scream at you. That is in the best interests of the child, full stop.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 03:17 pm
Anyway, DJhay, let us know how it goes if you want to. We are an anonymous bunch of readers here.
0 Replies

DJhay

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 09:10 pm
@DJhay,
Thanks all. This is one of our case studies in a medical ethics class (MBBS) so I thought I could get a couple of opinions from you guys. Appreciate your comments though. Please expect a few more of my posts in this regard.

"Primum non nocere"
maxdancona

Reply Tue 18 Jul, 2017 09:19 pm
@DJhay,
It seems that everyone is taking the same side, which means I feel I really should take the other side. Sadly, on this case, I can not. The doctor should report (I am sorry if I let anyone down).

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2017 01:21 am
@DJhay,
There's no dilemma, a criminal is abusing a child, they need to be punished and the child needs to be protected. Personally I'd have the kid taken away from the parents until it can be proven that they're not doing it.
centrox

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2017 02:16 am
@izzythepush,
In the UK the GMC says they must notify appropriate agencies.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jul, 2017 02:21 am
@centrox,
Too damn right.
0 Replies