I want my Fantasy to become Reality!!!

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 02:48 pm
LOL, I like cjhsa's idea......man, that would have the folks talkin' around here.

Cav......I thought about you when I was putting this in here, what you'd have to say about the food part of it.

And ty, another good point, I thought about that also...would be terrible to get started and have nothing to work with. Be finished before I ever got started.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:06 pm
Have you worked up a formal business plan yet, makemeshiver?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:26 pm
No ehBeth...still working out the fantasy part.

I have dreamed of this for years now, and just think its time to do it. And really felt that if I voiced my opinion about it in here, that someone would show me the right one to take.

There are many business owners in here, all have went through this...and to be honest, I haven't even gotten started.

Just need a push in the right direction.

So..far, I am enjoying the advice.....and have been given some great examples.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:08 am
Great ideas! And, good for you for even considering starting your own business. Many dream of doing so, but few are brave enough to take the risk. GO FOR IT! What few realize is that there's no real security in their current job either!

Being familiar with self-employment, government grants and the rural setting in which you would be setting up shop, I also vote for the skate rink.

We have a place that opened here called Jellybeans. The other roller rink had been taken over by thugs, and wasn't a pleasant or safe place to take ones kids. Jellybeans is set up to be a safe place. They encourage parents to drop off and have a night out while the kids skate. They have a number system for kids to be picked up, so they know the kids are leaving with the right person, etc.

A government grant is near impossible to obtain and can take enourmous amounts of time and money to get. Most people / org.s that get grants have grant writers that cost a lot of money to hire, and with no guarantee you'll get a grant. Following the rules and requirements for each grant, even if you found one that fit what you want to do, is HARD! Most federal grant money is actually given to states. States then distribute to individuals, organizations or to counties depending on the purpose of the money.

Having said all of that, and given the number of churches in your area... This is what I would do if I were you.

1. Write your business proposal. Here's a sample outline that helps in focusing on details. http://www.ntia.doc.gov/opadhome/mtdpweb/busplano.htm You can search "business plan" for other examples.

2. Brainstorm on what you want to offer the community and how it will benefit them. How can you get them involved? You may be able to take your proposal to your local / county / or state government and have a better chance of getting grant support. However, most grants have binding requirements that again can be hard to meet and time consuming to comply with. So, why not take your proposal to the churches? Local school board / PTA? Local businesses?

Think outside the box. Businesses could pay for advertising on the rink walls, or sponsor activities. (ie. video rental store could have one night per month to show a movie at the rink. You keep the proceeds. They get to use your space to promote their business and advertise other movies they rent that are similar to the one being shown.)

You could partner with the PTA in a fundraiser. Offer them a coupon book to sell that has coupons the kids can use at the rink. Make the coupons for things like a free small drink, half price admit, one time free skate rental, etc. If all of the coupons will end up costing you $7 when redeemed (actual cost, but has a $20 retail value) then have them sell the coupon book for $20 and the PTA keeps $10. You get $3.00 PLUS all of the other money you know the kids will spend when they get there.

Promote your business to the churches. Ask if they would be interested in sponsoring a once a month "Holy Rollers" night or something catchy but not offensive. They could skate to Christian music - there are tons of new young Christian bands with hip sound / clean lyrics that the kids and parents love.

Go to your local city or county officials and find out if there is any funding available for promotion of youth, recreation, health, or any other targets that might apply. Sometimes the grant monies or designated funds are fairly specific so you might have to ask in general terms and keep getting more specific until perhaps some form of funding might fit your proposal. If not, find out what is available and see if you can make your proposal fit that grant / money.

Those are a few ideas to toss around. Will check back later with more.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:14 am
What would the liability premium run on a skating rink?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:17 am
a skating rink will not work in a rural area...period...bars and grilles are also extremely chancy...but certainly a better chance at success than a skate rink....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:32 am
Not neccesarily, bear. Depends on the population, competition, and setting it up to appeal to as large a percentage of the population as possible.

Call it a skate rink, and yeah, it's limited. Make it a recreation center and you have a broader appeal. Have to know the client and expand from there.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:34 am
please note the one red light post...this is not an area with a large enough population to support something that requires that much real estate, square footage and utilities and equipment to run it.....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
Other than initial investment, whats to prevent combinin' the concepts - a skatin' complex with food and beverage service - mebbe with a banquet room/meetin' hall facillity? Liquor license might be a hassle; dependin' on whether one's available, and what it would cost, but if practical, it'd prolly be a real asset. I think such a combo, with the "bar" aspect of the food and beverage service present, but subordinated to a "family restaurant" atmosphere would be a helluva draw, even in a relatively low population density rural area.

Still, havin' owned a few taverns, I've come to the conclusion its much nicer to just work in one than to own one; an employee can always quit, but an owner doesn't have that luxury. And whether owner or worker, I'd prefer a supper-club-type, sorta upscale atmosphere to a straight-out saloon; fewer hassles all around, in my experience.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 12:04 pm
Great idea, timber. One room becomes rentall space for meetings, wedding receptions, etc. Now you aren't promoting the space yourself, you can make sure wedding planners, florists and caterers know about the space and they can promote it.

BTW, Bear. Your mother - in-law lives in a place with NO stop lights. They still have a school with 800 students.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 02:18 pm
IMO, you'd need to work up that bidnez plan ehBeth asked about and see where the numbers fall.

The idea of an indoor/outdoor bar & grill may sound appealing but there may be reasons one doesn't exist in your area (i.e. zoning laws, permitting requirements, liquor license issues, etc..).

I'd suggest you also talk to some people in rural areas that run rinks already. While your concept of providing an outlet for kids sounds good the first thing that popped into my head was "What happens when they all bring the problems to the rink?" Kids (teens in poarticular) generally mean some sort of trouble (not necessarily major stuff but there is always some sort of friction between groups)/ If your plan is to attrack kids then you have to plan on some of them being problems too. Just be prepared to deal with them.

Lemme know when you open the new place. Mebbe we'll have a new spot for an A2K gathering! Very Happy
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 04:39 pm
Great advice...Everyone, Thank you.

Humm, lots of ideas to ponder over....seems like Christmas and deer season got in the way. Call it my lazy ass way of avoiding making my fantasy come true. I just worry about all the paper work...etc, etc.

Ok...but have many many ideas now from reading your post and my mind is running rampid..lol

Would be my honor to have a gathering for A2K.....lol
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 04:48 pm
LOL, BTW...we are a small community. But we cover the whole west end of this county. There are over 1300 kids in our school. And there are atleast 20 churches in this community.

We have the lake which is a major attraction during the summer time, we even pull people out of LA, OK, Tx and Mo for vacation time. Not to count, I'm a lil over 20 miles to one of Arkansas's premier Nat'l Parks. Thats a tourist trap in itself.

I like the idea of a "recreation center". I could open it up for a number of things...maybe even on the outside area of the building have office spaces/business spaces for rent..that alone would pay the mortgage each month. Throw in a banquet hall, bar & grill and a room for games..one stop takes care of it all.

HUMMM....................lol
0 Replies