I want my Fantasy to become Reality!!!

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:37 pm
I knew that would draw you perverts in here!! LOL

I want to own my own business. Maybe with a push from you A2Kers, and some helpful advice, I can achieve that.

I have a few ideas of what I want, but not sure about either.

Idea #1: Bar & Grill

Somewhat of a general bar and grill. But not exactly. I want the "Coyote Ugly" atmosphere in the bar area. Open 7 days a week, offering a different theme each night of the week, with live music on Thursdays, Fridays and Sat. Extending the bar area to the open outdoors and offering a variety of things to do there. Especially during the summertime, open air concerts, etc.. A few general redneck games, horseshoe pitching on weekends, etc..

We have no bars in this area that would compare to that. There are none.
Our local bars consist of karoke, juke boxes, mediocre bands. We have biker bars, karoke bars and some upper scale bars that are great....cigar lounges, blues.....etc.

The grill area....... not the typical grill. I have more work to do on that, but have a general idea on the food. And then again, we have a few places that offer those type menues. Those that do, do not have a bar in the background, other than the ones that coinside with the restuarant. (ie, not much of one)

The area that I have picked out, is a tourist area. Its visited year round by many from all over the world. Usually your typical bar and grill don't make it, unless your ready to offer something on a different level.

Idea #2: Skating Rink

This seems by-far the best idea. Its more logical in the area that I live in.
It would be more than just a skating rink. I know...your thinking...woo wee, what fun? NOT.

For starters, we have nothing in this area for kids, teenagers to do after school. I am in a very rural area. Literally, one red light. Seriously....
There are no places for these kids to have an outlet unless its getting into some kind of trouble, or heading to the nearest town. (both are 20 miles in opposite directions) Or the lake.

Some ideas:
Opening early for women to be able to exercise in the rink area. Or elderly couples. There are no gyms in this area. Again, 20 miles to the nearest town.

Not only the rink, but an arcade, eating area......and rooms for private birthdays.

One good point is the fact that the area that I live in, has an abundancies of churches. There are atleast 15-20 in this area alone. Each one of these churches on a monthly basis, rent out a rink in another town for thier teens to use. I would be sure to gain thier business.

The fact that the lake nearby is continuously crowded during the summer, with tourist looking for something to do. These are usually family oriented people, and a skating rink would be right up thier ally.

Exclamation I know you A2Ker's have opinions. LOL, give them to me.

Now...another question?

If I wanted to start this business with a goverment grant, is there anyone that has any experience with it? I have the downloads of the goverment grants, but its like reading greek to me. I can find everything but grants for these types of businesses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,771 • Replies: 32
No top replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:40 pm
You calling me a pervert, sms? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:41 pm
lol.......you looked!! LMAO
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:43 pm
Yes! And good luck with your fantasy!Very Happy
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
Thank you, but I'm going to need more than good luck.

Need someone to help me weed out these ideas and point me in the right direction.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
BTW, I vote for the bar & grill. Thats more my atmosphere. I'd be right at home there...lol

Even though the skating rink is more logical and probably cheaper...I just don't think I could deal with squealing teens every night..lol
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:50 pm
Good choice!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 07:43 pm
The only thing I know about bars and restaurants is that they tend to go bankrupt...a LOT.

Hope that helps!
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:23 pm
Thanks Kicky.....I have thought about that too. But so do those good ole family places too.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:38 pm
Hospitality: Choose your clientele and serve them. Don't try to be everything to everybody. The age range with money is 25-45. You need these people, people who are willing to spend it in a bar/grill.
Men go where women are, not neccessarily the other way around. Will the coyote ugly theme alienate the ladies, or will it attract youngun's looking for the 3/1 drink specials, then you'll be pushing volume, quantity opposed to quality.
Horseshoes could be fun...but who will it attract, and will the people interested in your specials or events be in opposition to your regular, bread and butter, guests.
Can you ensure good music, local talent or will you have to hire an agency to bring the acts in. Extra costs.

Next, Ice - Ice rinks cost a kazzillion dollars to run, upkeep, build, ect....Do you have the budget to buy all the equipement. A zamboni alone is a costly venture.
If it were me, I would attempt a dry rink, rollerblade rink. It would be more multifunctional. You could have concerts, skating, gymnasium, bridge/card nights. All types of activities to appeal to a broader clientele...
Just a thought.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:05 pm
Thanks Ceili..Good Advice.

Yes, I have that age group targeted on the bar and grill idea. Atleast the ones that I visited, its usually that age group. (not a bar hopper, but have had my share of bar hopping) I don't believe the Coyote Ugly theme will alienate the women. Besides, I don't see that scheme working out 7 days a week, just save it for the weekends, somewhat tasteful...everyone will get something out of it. Who knows, may have men on the bars too.

Its not just about weekend horseshoes....just a variety of outdoor games, offered during the summer, just like the weekend gatherings that most families or groups of friends do. The whole BBQ routine, etc.

I am positive that I'd be able to ensure good music. I happen to have contacts with two groups that are very well known and have a large fan bases. Along with knowing some others that can be helpful in obtaining ....entertainment.

Ceili....I don't want an Ice Rink..lol, I want the old fashion skating, roller blading rink. Sorry, if I led you to believe that.

Either one is a major chore to take on. Both are major financial risks. No garuantees......I just really feel that I'd best be suited more for the bar and grill. I already have loads of experience in the restuarant end of it. Not to count, I have a best friend that is a whiz with numbers...that would be available to help me on that end of it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:36 pm
I vote for the skating rink. I think roller skating is making a huge comeback. Here in GA., I've been hearing ads on the radio for roller skating parties sponsored by radio stations and they seem to be growing all the time. Personally, I love skating, the social aspect of it, and the excercise workout is terrific.
Is there a way to combine the two concepts?
Restaurants, on their own, come and go every year.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 09:51 pm
Well, again, another good point eoe..thank you too.

I thought about combining it all. But I'm in a dry county..the alcohol would be out. Thats a big seller.
I thought about a private club on one end of the skating rink. But that would invite trouble here. We'd have teenagers trying to sneak in, or a teen with alcohol in the skating rink, etc..that would cause problems for me. So..on that level, everything could be combined, but the bar part of it.

I have had these ideas in my mind for two to three years now and I think this is one of the reasons I haven't pushed it any further, is the fear of failing. Both are risks.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:01 pm
What's life without risks?
Pretty damned boring.

Besides, alcohol and roller skating doesn't mix, IMO.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:07 pm
relatives did a skating rink - in a rural town area about 15,000 population real hard go - they activities like you suggested still a real tough go
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:19 pm
I like the In-line rink idea and also you might want to consider Bingo for any elderly folks.
Bingo is low over head and the clientele are addict-like when it comes to playing.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:30 am
I voted for the rink when I read churches. After the last elect... nevermind... I just thought that it would be good if you had them backing your business. Wholesome, american, apple pie, and smooching in the backseat in the parking lot.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:30 am
Roller rink:

You have a potential market--without local competition.

You would not have to fuss with licensing laws. Further, in this day and age food handling strictures are bound to become more and more stringent.

Coat room attendants cost much in less salary than chefs or barmaids.

The churches would support you rather than preach against you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:44 am
You could partner with Ceily and have an "adult skate" night. Kinda like the exotic erotic ball on wheels.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 11:55 am
If you need an executive chef, I'm your man. However, conservatively, for whatever you do with the idea, make sure you have a minimum of 2 years overhead financing in place. As you said, it's a high-risk venture.
0 Replies