Question for guitar players

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:55 pm
do they still have the blue grass festival in louisville?? used to be a real good time. and heard some great players of all ages..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 01:55 am
I've been hanging out in the Florida circuit and lost touch with kentuck.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:38 am
cavfancier wrote:
I considered EMG active pickups for my guitar, but it's a '79 Les Paul Custom Tobacco Sunburst, made in Kalamazoo (I checked the serial number), in near mint condition with all the original parts...I couldn't hurt my baby that way. Wink

naw, don't do it cav. totally hosed my '66 sg by pulling out the soap bar and putting in a paf. can you say TIN??? poor thing. after that it always gave me the same look i got from my first dog after we got him fixed.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:48 am
panzade wrote:
I've been hanging out in the Florida circuit and lost touch with kentuck.

easy to do if'n ya ain't thar. so what kind of stuff are you into playing?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:57 am
I've been working with a Country band; playing a b-bender Tele and keyboard.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:16 pm
panzade wrote:
I've been working with a Country band; playing a b-bender Tele and keyboard.

man, i hated country when i was a kid. well, o.k. buck owens and hank williams were kinda cool. but over the last 20 or so years there's been some amazing people come out. dwight yoakum, marty stuart among the ones i really like. it's much harder music to play well than a lot of people think.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 02:22 pm
It really is and I'm impressed that you realize that. It has the most inventive guitar work going right now.

We do Seger and Ac/DC too...anything that'll get the yokels on the floor and downing some Bud Lights.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:20 pm
panzade wrote:
It really is and I'm impressed that you realize that. It has the most inventive guitar work going right now.

yep, it's not just chicken pickin' anymore. some of those guys are really flyin' and not just doin' the "how many dollars per note" spewage either. damn! i've been trying to remember who it was, but i saw a video on cmt where the the guitarist and fiddle guys absolutely burned. i wanna say it was they band with travis tritt or trace adkins. maybe vince gill. ya know who i think has a smokin' set of pipes. leanne rimes. man, that girl delivered on her potential as a kid.

there was a guy that was a year or so ahead of me in highschool named kenny greenburg that i hear turned out to be a hot session guy down in nashville. pretty funny. he was all rocked out in school.

panzade wrote:
We do Seger and Ac/DC too...anything that'll get the yokels on the floor and downing some Bud Lights.

that sounds familiar. we should start a band and call it, "hey! buy some freakin' beer already!"

Laughing
0 Replies

giggylynn53

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:12 pm
I knew the original Buster Brown.. Early 70's 71, 72.
Do not know about the later group but the original did not go on to be the KY Headhunters.
I believe it was the originals that opened for Alice Cooper though.
The clubs they played at in Louisville were Friends n' Hand and it has been so long I can't remember..but Main Street in Louisville was great back then with great bands and bars.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:28 pm
welcome gig, and thanks for the remenissesses.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:30 pm
DTOM, we named our bluegrass band "Free Beer"...clubowners were leery of the sign that read: Wednesday night only! Free Beer!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:43 pm
I certainly recognize that there are some terrific
players in country...skilled musicians abound actually...I just f*#king hate it......
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:51 pm
hiya giggylynn53. welcome to the fun!

giggylynn53 wrote:
I knew the original Buster Brown.. Early 70's 71, 72.
Do not know about the later group but the original did not go on to be the KY Headhunters.

no, that was another early kentucky "underground" band called itchy brother. they were giggin' a lot around the time when the exiles (later to go to crap and become the discoing - exile ) were on columbia. what was that song? i think it was "church street soul revival", or something...

giggylynn53 wrote:
I believe it was the originals that opened for Alice Cooper though.
The clubs they played at in Louisville were Friends n' Hand and it has been so long I can't remember..but Main Street in Louisville was great back then with great bands and bars.

the original b.b. used to play the dances at my first high school and at the summer things in cherokee park.

b.b. wound up havin' members from just about every other good band in town at one point or another.

do you remember "raven" by any chance ?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:56 pm
I remember a band called Raven....used to play the same club circuit that all the other cover/original rock bands played in the day....
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 03:00 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I remember a band called Raven....used to play the same club circuit that all the other cover/original rock bands played in the day....

a great band. we played with them a couple of times down in the main street area that g.l. talked about.

she's right, luavull was one hell of a fun place for a few years.
0 Replies