Question for guitar players

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:04 pm
I've got a cheap strat with single coil pickups and i was wondering if there was anyway to improve the sound or just get rid of the feedback
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,850 • Replies: 34
No top replies

fluffhead237

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 06:58 am
These guys will be able to help you for sure:

whole note
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:14 am
Great site...I just joined up.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:14 am
Re: Question for guitar players
defenderofaloofness wrote:
I've got a cheap strat with single coil pickups and i was wondering if there was anyway to improve the sound or just get rid of the feedback

depends on how much you like the way that the guitar feels and plays. if the only thing that's buggin' is the sonic characteristics, take it to a good guitar guy and have him swap out the electronics for real live fender pick ups, pots and selector. that will help. and probably do at least a little for your feedback issue. also, if you're using a really high gain setting on the amp ( i.e., lottsa shreddy distortion. yum!) try backing off the treble to between 11 and 1 o'clock. this works especially well if you're going for a marshall type "brown" sound. middle and presence are a factor as well.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:11 pm
good stuff dt
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:19 pm
panzade wrote:
good stuff dt

thanks, pan. happy holidays to ya! howz things down florida way?

hey, i don't know how long you've lived down there, but did you ever hear of a kentucky band call "buster brown"? would have been back in the late '70s and most of the '80s.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:20 pm
buster brown...I'm thinkin
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
Nope. What kind of music? I know a lot of pickers in Kentuck and Louisville
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:42 pm
well the short version is that b.b. started in the late sixties as one of kentucky's few "underground" bands, as was "itchy brother". they later became the kentucky headhunters.

but by the time i had friends in buster, there were no original members left and they were doing the the cover thing. still more member changes.

when i was pals with them, they were doing a lot of zep, van halen and such. really great players in every line up. i used to jam with them around the clubs when i was in town (many many moons ago), always picked up a few little goodies from that.

johnny edwards, who'd also been in some other good louisville bands, wound up doing lead vocals with foreigner for a while. good bunch of guys.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:24 am
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep my ears peeled
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:24 am
never tried anything like this.. butthismight just help
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:39 am
The club I play at has 4 neon beer signs on stage and this box would surely help the noise caused by them.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:41 am
I used to see Buster Brown all the time...played quite a few of the same clubs...I always had the impression they were from Cinncinnati.....their singer replaced Lou Gramm in Foreigner.....I always enjoyed them.....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:47 am
Cool, I knew somebody had seen them.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 11:54 am
I considered EMG active pickups for my guitar, but it's a '79 Les Paul Custom Tobacco Sunburst, made in Kalamazoo (I checked the serial number), in near mint condition with all the original parts...I couldn't hurt my baby that way. Wink
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:45 pm
awright bpb! b.b. was a real louisville legend for a while. cinnci was a big red dot on that circuit. there was a place that everybody was talkin' about over there called bogart's, i think, that was supposed to be a great place to play. since i was out here on the left coast most of the time, never got a chance to check it out.

pan, i just remembered this last nite, that ronnie montrose produced some stuff with them.

who ya know up round louisville?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
I don't anyone from the Louisville area....I never played Bogarts but we used to play at Annies...and there was once a place downtown called Alexanders we played a couple of times...but Annies we played pretty regularly....an agent there named Steve something booked us....
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:44 pm
annie's i don't know. but i moved over here in '76 and only went back through louisville to visit the folks, and they moved out of the state about 15 or so years ago.

stupid of me too. i was able to eek out a pretty good bit of money playin' around the region when i was a teenager. out here, you could make a little, and i mean a little, money doing covers when i first got here. but for originals... umm learned to just love that top rammen. Rolling Eyes but it's a good place to learn the craft.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 01:49 pm
panzade wrote:
I know a lot of pickers in Kentuck and Louisville

most of my old pals have either left for other places or gotten too old to rock and roll. or even worse, refused to acknowledge anything that came out after 1978 as "music".

but we may know some of the same folks. toss me a couple of names...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:14 pm
I'm afraid it's all Bluegrass. Boone Creek came out of there...they were a hot band
0 Replies