Rap stinks!

benjamino

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:09 am
yeah but the game? come on he cant even rap. i appreciate all the things you said about sampling and looping, the best part about a lot of songs is hearing samples from some old funk song and see how they use the samples to create something new (especially early NWA stuff, the fact that they are black guys from compton makes no difference to how good it is, and it shouldn't, but just cuz the game is from compton too doesn't make him as good) but fifty cent cant rap and a lot of other american acts out there at the moment can't either. those guys are just hype and marketing, no creative talent that i can see. maybe i'm missing something but they do nothing new at all.
and yes outkast are ace, they are in a league of their own with that sound, they really are one of the most original hiphop acts around. also for sampling and breaks i think people like cut chemist, nu mark, dj shadow, fingathing, etc. these guys all make good hiphop from old records and they don't run round pretending to be gangsters either.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 12:14 pm
I admit that underground rap boasts a lot more lyrical talent, take Del for example. I guess it's probably Kanye West's production on a few Game tracks that I really dig.
0 Replies

curlgurl

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 01:53 am
when ever i hear a rap song thier talkin about humpin people butts yes hump your butt is thethe chorus to an actual song but other ive heard are beter like this one song called weapon of mas dectructoin. there are a few good ones out of all the horny garbage thier makin today
0 Replies

Resurrect Art

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 02:24 am
Well, for the most part I was slightly stunned by the original Topic, and more so by the broken pseudo-ebonic replies it recieved. To dislike an entire genre of art seem horribally dismissive and naive. I can understand the appreciation of rap for the same reason I could understand wrtitings in Middle English, or a sonnet. Wit and intelligence can be appreciated in any forum. Art will always be what the artist percieves. Rap music in general has always had a keen understanding of that.

As for rap music being music: Music is vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.

So, rap music, is music, it's amazingly obvious.

Peace,
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 12:54 am
There's good examples and bad examples of rap. Obviously, right now we happen to be focusing on some really crappy rap, elsewise we wouldn't be spouting 'it all sucks' dogma, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's all terrible. This, by the way, doesn't just apply to rap but all genres of music; there's also some abysmal classical, jazz, rock, and so on - at least as much if not more as there is good stuff.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:28 pm
Ok first of Gargamel, 50 cent has the intelligence of a 2 year old. His lyrics are about as thoughtful as a stick. His music is packaged by slick producers and greasy executives to market to an unsuspecting mainstream audience who will accept whatever garbage is properly advertised to them.

Underground rap>otehr rap. Immortal Technique (yes he spelt his name correctly!), DJ dangermouse, and Tonedef. If you're interested in rap takin new turns look into Tonedef and Immortal as both contain songs that are written in exotic time signatures like 7/8 and 9/8. If you don't know much about time signatures realize that it is unimaginably difficult to write and perform a rap to those time signatures and yet they pull it off. I'm sure 50 doesn't even know what a time signature is.
0 Replies

the BLINDside

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:46 am
rap is just a way of expression. wether anyone likes it or not doesnt really matter, but for some its just like a therapy, or a way of life. there are sum crappy artists out now, i agree who just talk bout gettin sum. trick daddys songs sugar for ex, its catchy for like a week, but it isnt really a GREAT rap. i wouldnt even call it a rap intil ludacris comes in.
0 Replies

hoshthehorse

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:35 pm
FLAVA FLAV!!!!
0 Replies