Rap stinks!

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 02:20 pm
Any music that is meant to hurt other people, in other words R.A.P.

R.A.P. stands for Really annoying pop!

Classic rock will soon rule Again! Bwahahahahahaha! Rap will be banished!

And now please excuse me while the people in the pretty white coats come take me to happy land.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,559 • Replies: 27
No top replies

SweetChavita

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:11 pm
in regardeness to your comment
Aight lets put it this way rap istnt hat offensive to everyone they're expressing their opinions just as your expressing your opinion about that genre of music now i hope you have fun with the men in white coats and make sure you all stop to get you some icecream lol Laughing
0 Replies

SparkyGirl

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 03:46 pm
Oh.... I did get some icecream! It was squirrled flavored! YUM! Yum Yum Yum! I guess I am giving out an opinion huh? Never thought about it. Hmmmm........ Aw man! Jo Jo is considered hip- hop, which on gookplex#673 is R.A.P. so I guess I'll have to live with it. ...........OR..........OOooh, now the the same people are coming out again, this time with a comfy jacket for me....ooOOoohhh!
I hope you write back! Wheeeee!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:02 am
My problem with rap is that it isn't really music. Poetry, OK. Music? Nahh.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:39 am
Sorry to break the news, but you can stick a fork in "classic rock."

I take that to mean your Aerosmith, Stones, etc.

In terms of record sales, rap is very, very much alive, much more so than classic rock. Now I know you're itching to say that record sales aren't the measure--I'm just trying to sprinkle a little reality dust on thread.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
As someone who hated disco when it was big, I realize I'm not unbiased on this kind of issue. If it didn't have loud guitars in it, it wasn't worth a damn, as far as I was concerned.

Now that I'm a bit older, I recognize that there may have been some racism in my attitude, or homophobia. Or something. It's all music, and we don't have to like what we don't like. But crusading against rap is a little weird, I think...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:52 am
It's interesting, rap and punk rock began budding in this country at about the same time and in the same place.

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five came out of Queens in the late seventies, and some of rap's founders dug on what the Ramones were doing at CBGB.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:54 am
True, Gargamel. I was on the Ramones side of the equation...

I believe Run DMC came from Queens, too.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 10:56 am
Yup.
0 Replies

Gesus

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:25 am
wht do u kno about raps?
0 Replies

Gesus

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:25 am
wtf r u talkin about rap isnt music,
no thts ur classical ****- dont cofuse it,

u kno its kinda amusin,
ur fulla **** - rap is da only part of music thts excluif,

da only reason u hate raps iz prolly coz u cant make ne,
ur right - n its a pity,
even tho ther a few ppl who dont like rap- its still to many,

jst becoz raps r much for u to handle,
dont EVER bad mouth it coz its too frontal,
for an emotionally damaged break down bitch like u who cant come up with a rebuttle,

its definite,
jst put a sock in it,

u say raps stick,
well i have news for u- so doz da curry mint,
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:33 am
Gesus wrote:
wht do u kno about raps?

more than you know about english. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:34 am
Yo, yo, yo .... someone seems to have gotten themselves lost. Yo, the Neverending Rap Battle thread is over .... HERE, dawg. Aight?

[edited: Added some urban colloquialisms to make myself sound more hip. :wink: ]
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:43 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Gesus wrote:
wht do u kno about raps?

more than you know about english. Rolling Eyes

Oh, that was supposed to be English? My bad.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
Guys, quit being haters...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 10:55 am
smog wrote:
Guys, quit being haters...

I ain't no hatea,
playa...

Shocked Laughing

Sorry.....had too.... Very Happy
0 Replies

tamir

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:58 pm
OH please i agree with SweetChavita plus u are all so biased over this whole thing and sparkygirl u kinda really scare me.
0 Replies

AreGee

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:27 am
everybody has there own opinion an the guy who created this forum is just sharin his thought bout rap to us, i dont like death metal an ish but thats jus ma own opinion
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:12 am
hahaha Smile what an entertaining thread this is so far. ticomaya, i'm lovin the jive talk. imo, rap can be music as well as poetry, just you dont here that much of it. jazzmatazz was a good example i think, also look at cut chemist and mr scruff and others who love all music and try to use it to make their own tunes and beats, it's just as talented and expressive as anything else. personally i think rap is s'posed to be counter cultural and more underground, people doing shows in their hometown to, and about, people they know. 'fiddy' and 'the game' and all that rubbish is about as far from that as you can get from real rap/hip hop. try some mc solaar or fingathing.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:32 am
I love 50 Cent and the Game. It's not a fluke that rap records sell more than rock today, and it's not a fluke that rap speaks to the young generation more than any other genre.

Rap involves more than rhyming, too. It's a huge mistake to say there's no melody. Sure, old school NY hip-hop was bigger on beats, but a lot of the new southern rap that's come out of Atlanta (ever heard of Outkast--wait, actually, I think the lack of exposure to a lot of rap explains many of the posts on this thread) is very melodic.

It also involves sampling, putting together loops and hooks, pieces of preexisting material, beats and bass lines, into new stuff. Poets and writers are doing the exact same thing. Every fiction writer steals something from Shakespeare. Other people are literally taking characters from old novels and transposing them into their own stories.

But for whatever reason, it's less credible to some people if it's a black guy from Compton who's doing it. Hmmm, why is that?
0 Replies