Using present perfect after simple past

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 12:37 pm
Would you please explain the use of the present perfect [HAS SUFFERED] after the past simple/simple past [WAS CONFIRMED] in the sentence below? In other words, why is it "HAS suffered" and not "HAD suffered"?

Mark Cavendish is out of the Tour de France after it WAS CONFIRMED he HAS SUFFERED a broken shoulder on stage four.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 421 • Replies: 3
No top replies

perennialloner

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2017 10:08 am
@paok1970,
I would've said had suffered myself. In English, you're allowed to mix tenses I believe.

When it was confirmed that he'd suffered a broken shoulder, I assume the confirmation read something like "mark cavendish has suffered a broken shoulder". this sentence recalls this confirmation, which was in the present tense, that happened in the past.

It's like how with reported speech the person reporting could either say what the person said at the time they said it: he said she needs a pencil, or change it slightly as an acknowledgement that what happened is no longer relevant to the present: he said she needed a pencil.

camlok

Reply Sat 8 Jul, 2017 11:50 pm
@paok1970,
"Has + PP" is used for HOT TOPICS, relevant current events, past actions that have current relevance.

Mary's had a baby! [even if it is a month old]
God damn it, I've cut my finger.

"was confirmed" is the passive.

It could be,

Since it has been confirmed that X broke a shoulder he has been scratched from further competition.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Mon 10 Jul, 2017 02:21 pm
@perennialloner,
Quote:
In English, you're allowed to mix tenses I believe.

That is true, but only if it makes sense.
0 Replies