Dropping THAT

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 09:55 am
Is it possible to drop/leave out/omit "that" in the sentence below?

It’s said THAT the man is a thief.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 498 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 10:14 am
@paok1970,
Any American would include the word "that" (I suspect that grammatically speaking the word isn't necessary).

But it is an idiomatic expression. The phrase "it is said that ________" is a pattern we all understand.

centrox

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 11:11 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The phrase "it is said that ________" is a pattern we all understand.

So is the pattern "it is said ______________".

After 'bridge' verbs like learned, discovered, found (out), knew, felt, thought, and also the more common reporting verbs, (e.g. say, tell) it is quite natural to omit 'that', especially in informal speech.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 11:50 am
@centrox,
Quote:
After 'bridge' verbs like learned, discovered, found (out), knew, felt, thought, and also the more common reporting verbs, (e.g. say, tell) it is quite natural to omit 'that', especially in informal speech.

Maybe it is a matter of dialect. It would sound stilted and unnatural to me if someone omitted the word "that" in informal speech.
centrox

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 12:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Maybe it is a matter of dialect. It would sound stilted and unnatural to me if someone omitted the word "that" in informal speech.

Really? I told my sister Tokyo was the capital of Vietnam. She said I was wrong. I said she was arrogant. She said I was 'a prick'. Our mother said we were both equally stupid.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 12:53 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Any American would include the word "that"

Stop with the generalizations. I myself might not include " that" when speaking or writing about an individual.

For example, let's say for the moment, I am speaking with someone about a particular person and I want to caution him against leaving said person alone in his home. I would most likely just tell him: 'It's been said the man is s thief.'. There'd be no reason to include "that".
centrox

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 01:00 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
I would most likely just tell him: 'It's been said the man is s thief.'. There'd be no reason to include "that".

Yup. It's been said he's a liar, a cheat, a virgin, a genius, a gifted card player, Greek, from Cincinnati, a communist.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 01:10 pm
@centrox,
A Communist?! Shocked Telleth me now that this is not true.

Oh, wait, never mind - my grandparents were registered Communists, so it must be okay.
centrox

Reply Thu 6 Jul, 2017 01:32 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Oh, wait, never mind - my grandparents were registered Communists, so it must be okay.

My aunt was a Wobbly, especially after she'd had a couple of stiff belts.
0 Replies