The Dark Lady--a twist of fate

Letty

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 08:33 am
Today is the golden anniversary of the discovery of DNA. In the following article from Time Magazine, we observe how a twist of fate denied this Dark Lady the credit that she truly deserved.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101030217/scdfranklin.html

NOT FAIR!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,832 • Replies: 9
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:24 am
I would like to say "we're all in this togather" and it matters not a tinker's damn who gets credit for what, but within the human community it seems that sometimes "credit" is more important than "discovery".
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:24 am
I would like to say "we're all in this together" and it matters not a tinker's damn who gets credit for what, but within the human community it seems that sometimes "credit" is more important than "discovery".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 11:11 am
Wow, Bo.
I can see that you felt very strongly about this since you answered twice Laughing

of course you are right in the purest of considerations. Salute to you, because I think you really believe what you say.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2003 11:04 pm
Letty - great article! Great find.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 04:18 am
Hi, LittleK,
Yes, I was particularly intrigued with this because my son introduced me to the concept when he wrote a paper on recombinant DNA when he was just a kid in college. Later, in med school, he discovered a behind the scenes anecdote about the dark lady that may or may not be true.

Watson and Crick are reputed to have wined and dined Ms. Franklin, coaxing her into revealing the progress that she had made in her observations and clinical studies. All's fair in love and science, I guess. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:47 am
Bastids.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 09:56 am
probably...even their own father won't claim 'em Very Happy
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:00 am
Interesting article. But no solid proofs of alleged plagiarism. Messrs. Watson and Crick might have developed their discovery independently from Ms. Franklin. They might have used her research results, but interpretation seems to be wholly theirs. She simply had a bad luck...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2003 10:23 am
steissd, you're quite the sophist. No one is suggesting that Watson and Crick weren't brilliant, just hungry. Something tells me that BoGoWo was quite right in one respect. The Dark Lady was more interested in discovery than fame.
0 Replies