[split] looking for good fiction

Pharon

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 08:30 pm
I'm looking for some good fiction. Any ideas ???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,612 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 09:36 pm
Mystery? Sci-fi? Historical romance Laughing ? what types of things do you like to read? ok, fine, Maxim, for the articles.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 06:54 am
Yep - tell us more, Pharon!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 07:47 pm
Hi - as the others have suggested, it helps to know what your tastes are. What have you read that you loved? That way, we can offer similar reads.

My personal favorites are Nelson DeMille, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly, Stuart Woods, earlier Stephen King, Ray Bradbury, etc. None are heavy reading but are good stories.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 08:20 pm
Howdy, Bermbits. Glad you stumbled in.

You've got the same low tastes as I, so I'll maybe take a look for Michael Connelly. I've been reading stuff from the others right along, though not much of Bradbury.

Again, I'm really glad to see you.

akaRoger
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:35 am
Hey, Roger
Hi there. I now can add Ridley Pearson to the list. I've just read two, and they keep me turning the pages. Both started okay, but before I knew it, I was hooked! (Middle of Nowhere and Beyond Recognition)
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:27 pm
Depending upon your preferences
one of the things I do is:
1. Pull up the lists of books that
won awards in past few years
2. Pull up lists of books on NYT
bestseller lists
3. Pull up Pulitzer prize winners
Lately, I have read 2 very interesting
books, both fiction, The Stone Diaries,
and The Lovely Bones. The 2nd is
a little disturbing.
My other method, is to walk into the
library - pick an aisle - walk to a
spot and see what is there, on
whichever shelf I looked at first
You would be surprised how many
authors whose work I enjoy, I have
found in this haphazard way.
Pearl Buck, for example, when I was
about 8 or 9. You can tell, I did not
walk very far back then, I stopped
at the B's Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 01:29 am
Depending on whether you are a guy or girl, Pharon, I would recommend Australian author Christina Stead's books - expecially "For Love Alone" and "The Man Who Loved Children." I am not being biased or sexist, by the way (sorry if any one is offended) but based on what I have seen, guys I know don't read the above books.

If you are interested in capitalism/communism - social issues in general, I would recommend Steads "House of All nations" or "I'm dying laughing."

The interesting thing about her books is that altough technically they are fiction, they are actually based on her life experiences (The first two mentioned are actually her fictionalised biographies) so you have a fiction book, but written by someone who's been there, done that.

Otherwise - I would also recommend HARRY POTTER!!
0 Replies