For Art and Horse Lovers

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 12:30 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2017/jun/23/royal-ascot-2017-commonwealth-cup-and-more-live

Royal Ascot - Caravaggio Powers to Commonwealth Cup Glory
https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/4e586d72c80177169c9a8700acc3471aeaada9ee/0_0_3000_1800/master/3000.jpg?w=780&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=ce09482af93c848e70531a8aa66794d0
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 1,213 • Replies: 26
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 01:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I have a (not so close) friend who lives in Ascot.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 04:06 am
The title of this thread made me stare for a moment because way back, in Britain, before perhaps the 1960s, there used to be books of photographs of naked or semi-naked women ("nude studies") sold discreetly in certain shops which were described as "for art lovers". Just so there would be no misunderstandings, you see. I momentarily imagined what one intended for art and horse lovers might be like. Now I have a picture in my mind I can't get rid of. What have you done, Osso? By the way, that is a wonderful picture.

saab

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 04:16 am
@ossobucotemp,
Wonderful picture.
Got three pictures yesterday of relative and friends all dressed up and sober at Ascot.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:01 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

By the way, that is a wonderful picture.

Agreed, I was expecting some George Stubbs.

http://www.culture24.org.uk/asset_arena/9/66/1669/v0_master.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:03 am
@ossobucotemp,
Nice to see what's going on. For me Royal Ascot is a place I drive past on the way to Legoland.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
Despite what I've learned over the years about the difficulties for horses and and the sport of racing, I've loved it since I was thirteen. I was at a playmate's house and the Kentucky Derby came on the tv, so I watched it with the family. I picked a nice looking horse named Swaps. That was it, he won. Then we moved to California the next year, and my dad took me to see Swaps race at Hollywood Park. All this got me going on reading sporting news in both newspapers and magazines.. I still do, at least somewhat, but now I do it online.
centrox

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
Despite what I've learned over the years about the difficulties for horses and and the sport of racing, I've loved it since I was thirteen.

I am the same. I am torn 2 ways - they can get shot with a revolver by the racecourse vet if they fall and break a leg, yet they are the most noble looking of animals and they clearly love what they are doing. I think flat racing is less dangerous than National Hunt.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:36 pm
@centrox,
I don't know about the National Hunt - does that involve jumping fences, plus whatever else?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 12:54 pm
Roberta of A2K and I have exchanged stories and posts over the years because we both have been very keen about Secretariat. We might have both posted links to the famous Secretariat race. Not sure if they would still show up now, but, natch, I'm sure they are still online. That race was so wondrous, so beautiful, I always end up sobbing when I see it again.
centrox

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I don't know about the National Hunt - does that involve jumping fences, plus whatever else?

Yes, there are two branches, hurdles and steeplechases. In a hurdles race, the horses jump over obstacles called hurdles, in a steeplechase they jump plain fences, water jumps or open ditches. One of our biggest National Hunt races is the Grand National. There was a horse called Red Rum who achieved rock star status in the UK after winning it 3 times - 1973, 1974, 1977. He came second in the intervening years! The Grand National is a notoriously difficult race that has been described as "the ultimate test of a horse’s courage". He was also renowned for his jumping ability, having not fallen in 100 races. The 1973 race in which Red Rum secured his comeback victory from 30 lengths behind is often considered one of the greatest Grand Nationals in history.

Another much loved horse was Desert Orchid, who was much loved by supporters for his front-running attacking style, iron will and extreme versatility.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yup, Secretariat and the Belmont Stakes. A magic moment and one of the most spectacular achievements in sports (IMO).
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:25 pm
@Roberta,
I want to correct something - Roberta and I didn't just talk about horsies once or twice. We know each other - a bunch of us a2k types met in New York City in 2003. I love Roberta, and so do many others here. I'm trying to remember the name of the French restaurant where she and I and Diane met, me having just met Diane a day or two past. What I remember most is that I ordered the tripe. (I'm the brave type.)

I needed blueberry pie to get over it.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:45 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'm interested in Centrox's mentioned horses, will check them out. I like sport story writing since I read it early, from the then local library, old sports story books, circa 30s and 40s, me reading in the fifties. That was after they let me into the adult library room. (hiss)
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:49 pm
I really enjoy watching horses on a field. They are so beautiful and peaceful.
Mostly I like to watch the horses in the Spanish Riding School in Wienna.
I do not mind horse racing. They like to run.
I can´t stand hurdles and steeplechases. For me it is unnatural as a normal horse under normal circumstances would avoyed to jump. They would race around the hurdle, if possible. I have to think about the hundreds of beatings they will get
from some of their riders to do what they are forced to do.
I used have several riders and horse owners in the family. As far as could see the horses were well treated.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 01:58 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

I really enjoy watching horses on a field. They are so beautiful and peaceful.
Mostly I like to watch the horses in the Spanish Riding School in Wienna.

I remember that, now that you remind me.

I do not mind horse racing. They like to run.

I can´t stand hurdles and steeplechases. For me it is unnatural as a normal horse under normal circumstances would avoyed to jump. They would race around the hurdle, if possible. I have to think about the hundreds of beatings they will get
from some of their riders to do what they are forced to do.
I used have several riders and horse owners in the family. As far as could see the horses were well treated.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 02:13 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I need a break, as my elbow is swelling. I've looked it up, and I understand, it's at the point where I rest for too many hours a day with the right elbow on hard surface.

****, now I'll cushion.
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 03:39 pm
@ossobucotemp,
why name the horse Caravaggio? If th guy lived today, hed be an outlaw biker who likes to pin stripe helmets. Why burden a horse with that delinquent name?
Does the horse paint?? NO, of course not.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 04:04 pm
@farmerman,
for the beauty
centrox

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 05:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
for the beauty

Absolutely. An apt name. Foaled in Kentucky. By Scat Daddy out of Mekko Hokte. Scat Daddy was getting $100,000 to stand at stud before he passed away in 2015.

Jockey said

Quote:
“It’s the first time he’s been asked a serious question and he was a bit unsure at first. Although they made him work, he picked them up well in the end. I think that was a fairly exceptional race and he beat two very good horses who weren’t stopping. I think there is some more improvement in him.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/scat-daddys-caravaggio-wins-commonwealth-cup-battle/

1. Forums
  2. » For Art and Horse Lovers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:19:56