For Art and Horse Lovers

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 08:37 pm
@centrox,
why not call the nag "tenebrism" (at least its one of the things caravaggio really excelled at) Other than murder, rape, thievery, bunko, strong arm robbery.
Caravaggio is like naming a horse Hitler or Clyde
farmerman

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 08:44 pm
@farmerman,
I guess a cruel sport like racing should have violent names for the stock.

remember, 130 000 race horses bred by US stables were slaughtered in Canada or Mexico in 2015 alone. Next yer was even more
Roberta

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 11:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I want to correct something - Roberta and I didn't just talk about horsies once or twice. We know each other - a bunch of us a2k types met in New York City in 2003. I love Roberta, and so do many others here. I'm trying to remember the name of the French restaurant where she and I and Diane met, me having just met Diane a day or two past. What I remember most is that I ordered the tripe. (I'm the brave type.)

I needed blueberry pie to get over it.

osso, kid, you are always singing my praises here. Why? Beats the hell out of me but thanks.

Sorry I can't help with the name of the French Restaurant. I could be Pierre au Tunnel, but I'm not sure. And it's now closed.

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 02:15 am
@Roberta,
Yes, that was it.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 04:28 am
@farmerman,
Why had the race horses to be slaughtered at all? Had it to do with they were not good enough or that they were worn out and did not make any money at all?
farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 05:51 am
@saab,
all kinds of animal racing have a dirty secret of amazing cruelty. Animals that do not perform as expected are slaughtered, animals too old are slaughtered, animals who "block up the pastures" are slaughtered. Greyhound racing , if youre a dog lover would break your heart.
I dont follow any animal racing.
Animal racing is like the US system of baseball from Junior leagues, through the various level of minors and then to the majors. It like every baseball player who cant make the majors is slaughtered. Thats like 50 to 1.

I love warm-blood horse events ( dressage). Here the stables only have as many horses as they can keep for a lifetime . Racing is a business , feed and care are expenses to the business. You dont "lay off" a horse. The local horse auctions (run by Amish) will NOT accept race horse stock because they know that the bidders are usually slaughter houses in Mexico, Canada or even bootleg businesses in very rural US. Big auction houes that employ veterinarians for inspection know darn well that many of the horses are being sent for pet food

The horse business likes to state that the Amish are more cruel to their animals. I havent seen it but only two times and the Amishman who was accused of being cruel was punished socially by his owncommunity.

saab

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2017 06:39 am
@farmerman,
It sounds even worse than I imagned.
I do not like how sports have developed anyway as it seems as it is not longer
the personal achivment which counts, but pump the sportlers full with all kinds of pills and special food and training and training. I never watch the Olympic games any more...for me it is nothing but cruel business.
It is difficult for me to imagen the Amish being cruel to their animals. Good farmers usually are not, and with their religious background and respect for
all living....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:27:35