7 Missing after Destroyer hits Merchant Ship

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 09:19 am
@engineer,
I'm not confused about it at all - that's what usually is and has to be done when something like that happens (and when it can be done).

Another major problem was (and still is) that the collision triggered the shutdown of a North Sea crude export terminal, Norway’s largest gas processing plant and several offshore fields. shut.
It is not clear when the Kollsnes gas plant, with a processing capacity of 144.5 million cubic metres per day, will restart operations.
UK wholesale gas prices were up ahead of news of the incident and increased further afterwards. Gas for immediate delivery was up 6.2 percent at 66.50 pence per therm at 1136 GMT. Norway is a major supplier of gas to Britain so big outages can impact UK gas prices.
Flows from Norway to Britain were down by 14-15 million cubic metres due to the Kollsnes outage.
engineer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2018 09:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Poorly stated on my part sorry - I knew you would not be confused. The comment was for the casual reader.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 06:42 am
@engineer,
No problem!

Some more details about the accident as known until today:
The Nansen-class frigates collided with a fully loaded oil tanker more than 10 times its size while returning NATO’s Trident Juncture exercise.
The frigate Helge Ingstad lost steering and drifted at five knots onto the rocky shore near Norwegian port of Sture, north of Bergen, saving the ship from sinking in the Fjord, according to media reports. The crew of 137 was forced to abandon ship.

The situation is made all the more painful as evidence mounts that Ingstad was repeatedly warned to alter course before the collision and failed to take corrective action to avoid the collision.
Local media reported that the Maltese-flagged tanker Sola TS identified Ingstad and tried to avoid the disaster. The reports also revealed details that show that Ingstad did not have a firm grasp of the surface picture it was sailing into.
The disaster developed quickly, with Ingstad transiting the channel inbound at 17 knots and Sola TS traveling outbound at 7 knots.

Sola TS raised the Ingstad multiple times and was discussing the emerging danger with shore-based Central Station, according to the Norwegian paper Verdens Gang. The responses from Ingstad appear confused, at one point saying that if they altered the course it would take them too close to the shoals, which prompted Sola TS to respond that they had to do something or a collision would be unavoidable.

Contributing to the confusion, the Ingstad appears to have been transiting with its Automatic Identification System switched off. That seems to have delayed recognition by central control and the other ships in the area that Ingstad was inbound and heading into danger, the account in VG seems to indicate.

The AIS being off recalls the collision of the U.S. destroyer Fitzgerald in 2017. Fitzgerald inadvertently crossed an outbound shipping channel with its AIS turned off, which the U.S. Navy found was a contributing factor in the collision.

According to Nato, the crew trained on the bridge: navigation.

Videos, photos and report (all in Norwegian) at the local newspaper Verdens Gang >HERE<
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2018 02:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Since this is USNavy related and since I don't want to start a new thread:

No More Bread and Water: U.S. Navy Scraps an Age-Old Penalty
Quote:
The United States Navy has come a long way, from its first wooden frigates to today’s nuclear carriers. But in all that time, one thing remained almost as fixed as the North Star: A skipper’s power to throw troublesome sailors in the brig with nothing to eat but bread and water.

Though it sounds like something from an old pirate movie, the antique penalty is not only still on the Navy’s books, it is still actually imposed, despite a century of abolition efforts.

On New Year’s Day, it will finally go by the boards.

A sweeping update of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, passed by Congress in 2016, will take effect on Jan. 1, bringing dozens of changes that are intended to make the system fairer and more efficient. Most are the kind of procedural tweaks that concern lawyers, not sailors. But the bread-and-water part will be felt on all decks.

Commanders throughout the armed services will still have the authority to punish minor misconduct in various ways without a trial. But the new law deletes the regulation that authorized ship commanders to confine low-ranking sailors on “diminished rations” — bread and water — for up to three days at a time.

That regulation is no mere neglected relic from a bygone era. As recently as 2017, a destroyer in the Pacific was known as the U.S.S. Bread and Water because of the skipper’s liberal use of the penalty to punish missteps like missing a curfew or drinking under the legal age.

Many in the Navy will be happy to see it go. But some mourn what they see as an expedient and effective tradition of the seas.

“It sounds medieval, and that is sort of the point,” said Capt. Kevin Eyer, who regularly sentenced sailors to bread and water for minor misconduct before he retired in 2009. “Sometimes you just need to scare a kid. We want them to succeed, but you need to give them a kick in the pants.”

Captain Eyer said that when he joined the Navy in 1982, the penalty was common and never frowned upon by the top brass, who traditionally give ship commanders broad authority.
The change was recommended by an independent Defense Department review group. Asked if the Navy supported the move, a spokeswoman said, “Once drafted, the Navy did not oppose the legislation.”
[...]
Today, the rules say sailors are entitled to three unlimited servings of bread each day. Sailors also can typically have their choice of religious books to read in the brig.

“It’s not that bad — that’s why I like it,” Captain Eyer said. “It sounds scary, but it’s just three days, you get as much bread and water as you want — a captain can do much worse things.”

Punishments that captains will still be able to impose include extra duty for up to 45 days, restriction to the ship for up to 60 days, loss of rank, and half-pay for two months.
[...]
In online forums where sailors sound off about Navy life, the views posted on bread and water are mixed. Some said three days in the brig was better than losing pay or being stuck onboard when a ship made a port call. Others saw the punishment as demoralizing and the mark of a poor leader.

Legal experts say bread and water’s demise will not free the military justice system of all its troublesome relics. Eugene Fidell, who teaches military law at Yale Law School, pointed to how authority over legal proceedings remains in the hands of commanders, rather than an independent judiciary. And he noted that military cases cannot be appealed to the Supreme Court unless the military agrees to grant review, which he said rarely happens.

“That’s the real archaic part of this — our troops have fewer legal rights than detainees at Guantánamo Bay,” Mr. Fidell said. “We adopted that practice from the British centuries ago. The British gave it up a long time ago, but we never did. We’re more British than the British now.”

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2018 04:16 pm
I did not give it a thought, previously, but it is good they give it up.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 09:32 pm
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 10:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Since this is USNavy related and since I don't want to start a new thread:

No More Bread and Water: U.S. Navy Scraps an Age-Old Penalty
Quote:
The United States Navy has come a long way, from its first wooden frigates to today’s nuclear carriers. But in all that time, one thing remained almost as fixed as the North Star: A skipper’s power to throw troublesome sailors in the brig with nothing to eat but bread and water.

It was a punishment available only to captains of ships at sea. It was very useful in cases where sailors openly defied or even attacked the petty officers who oversaw and were responsible for their actions. Three days B&W was very effective in calming them down and restoring order in the unit. I had standing orders calling for immediate notification and Mast hearing after such events - they were fairly rare but having the perpetrator in the brig within ten minutes of the event, was a wonderful palliative, and a lot more appropriate than two months forfeiture of half pay.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 11:55 am
@georgeob1,
We didn't have such.
(I usually asked voluntarily to clean the washrooms and toilets during the morning routine ... before the oficer of the deck department assigned the duties.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 05:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
U.S. and Russia blame each other for near collision in East China Sea
Quote:
MOSCOW/TOKYO (Reuters) - Russia and the United States blamed each other for a near collision between their warships in the East China Sea on Friday with both countries accusing one another of dangerous and unprofessional behavior.

Russia’s Pacific Fleet said that the USS Chancellorsville, a guided-missile cruiser, had come within just 50 meters (165 feet) of the Russian destroyer Admiral Vinogradov which had been forced to take emergency action to avoid a collision, Russian news agencies reported.

They cited a Russian Pacific Fleet statement as saying the incident took place in the early hours of Friday morning in the eastern part of the East China Sea at a time when a group of Russian warships was on a parallel course with a U.S. naval strike group.

“The U.S guided-missile cruiser Chancellorsville suddenly changed course and cut across the path of the destroyer Admiral Vinogradov coming within 50 meters of the ship,” the statement said.

“A protest over the international radio frequency was made to the commanders of the American ship who were warned about the unacceptable nature of such actions,” it said.

That version of events was rejected by the U.S. Navy, which said the behavior of the Russian ship had been “unsafe and unprofessional”.

“While operating in the Philippine Sea, a Russian Destroyer...made an unsafe maneuver against USS Chancellorsville,” U.S. Seventh Fleet spokesman Commander Clayton Doss said.

“This unsafe action forced Chancellorsville to execute all engines back full and to maneuver to avoid collision.”

He described a Russian assertion that the U.S. ship had acted dangerously as “propaganda”. The Russian destroyer came within 50 to 100 feet of the Chancellorsville, he said, putting the safety of her crew and the ship at risk.

The incident comes days after Washington and Moscow sparred over an allegedly unsafe spy plane intercept by a Russian fighter jet near Syria.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 08:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,

Well, we did such in the 70's as well -cat one time with 17 landing crafts, most with tanks [Leopards] on it. We certainly had the right of way, but it was quite stupid.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 01:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It looks about like an underway refueling - about 50 yds. (45M) separation. No real danger, but deliberate harassment. The Russians often played games with us, maneuvering to get the right of way; communicating on the international marine bridge to bridge channel; and trying to force our carriers (for example) to turn away. Our doctrine was to ignore them and press on.

Once, just outside the Straits of Hormuz in the North Arabian sea I was similarly harassed by a Russian destroyer while launching aircraft. The Russian skipper got on the radio and said (in fairly good English) that he had the right of way ( not true in that I was steaming into the wind & Launching aircraft) and wanted to know my intentions. I grabbed the mic and told him I was launching aircraft and didn't intend to turn, no matter what he did, and noted that he would suffer far more in a collision than I.

He shut up and got out of the way.

In the case in the film clip, it appears from the relative deck heights that the U.S. Vessel was a replenishment ship ( fuel & supplies), and the Russian approach mimicked the usual approach of one of our vessels for deck to deck replenishment.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 01:12 pm
@georgeob1,
Refuelling was sometimes even more dangerous - at least for us on a small boat: 470 tonnes/47.2 m versus 4,000 tonnes/118 m.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Jun, 2019 01:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It certainly could be in a rough sea, or in cases in which the course of the ships is not into the sea and wind. I suspect that with a small vessel these thresholds were a good deal lower.

Our replenishment ships are generally about 60,000 tons and 700 ft. ( ~ 200 M) in length: carriers 110,000 tons anf 1,150 f. and ~ 350M long.

The standard procedure in the Navy was to assign a prospective carrier skipper first to a one year tour as skipper of a refueling/replenishment ship (perhaps as a means of humbling the aviators headed for carrier command). During one replenishment in a rough sea, with a carrier (Kitty Hawk) on my port side and a cruiser on the starboard side, both getting fuel, I was "scraped" (as the carrier CO put in his report) it by Kitty Hawk. It was a very strange felling - From my spot on the bridge wing I could reach out and touch the bottom of the overhanging carrier sponsons directly over head and hear the slapping of the fuel rig cables and the grinding of steel as a 20 ft segment of side rail was ripped out of our port side. ( with another ship close in on our starboard side I could only maintain my course.) Kitty Hawk quickly (but gently, owing to our proximity) turned away, and we were soon back to normal. Vivid memories !
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 11:20 am
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fire-continues-rage-aboard-navy-ship-san-diego/story?id=71757147
1,000-degree blaze continues to rage aboard Navy ship in San Diego
engineer

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 11:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Ouch. I took a vessel through decommissioning and the shipyard is a scary place.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 11:41 am
@engineer,
I have twice experienced a fire during my time onboard, but far less severe. (Could have had bad consequences though, since a minesweeper is a wooden ship.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 08:33 am
Firefighters Put Out Flames Aboard USS Bonhomme Richard; Vessel’s Future Unknown
https://gcaptain.com/firefighters-put-out-flames-aboard-uss-bonhomme-richard-vessels-future-unknown/?fbclid=IwAR26szJamSgrSPKrwNTkH_6K3YMQ1R1y8tC6NvKwofl6EbGR8tAV6jH72gw
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 08:58 am
@edgarblythe,
I can’t post links but 7 ships are on fire in the Iranian port of Bushehr. The suspicion is sabotage.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 08:59 am
@izzythepush,
There have been suspicious explosions elsewhere lately also in Iran.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2020 09:00 am
@edgarblythe,
I know, this is just the latest.

It’s worrying.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:08:46