Anyone with Experience with Tower Fans?

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:05 pm
Are they better than traditional circular floor fans?

http://imgur.com/tvbJKwE.jpg

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
yup

but also a tiny bit more delicate - the revolving part can stop working if it's not treated with respect
roger

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
I own and use three. I like them but can't say they are better than a circular floor fan. Obviously, they have a smaller footprint. Two of them have features I either don't understand, or at least don't use. Two of them have timers, for crying out loud. One even had a remote control. It kept falling out of its little niche and I threw it away.

I suppose the circular fan has a wider wind path, but that's not a big feature when they can all be set to oscillate.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks. Ended up buying a Vornado floor fan. I don't have air conditioning and I rather have a sturdy fan that won't go kaput with a single hiccup nearby.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:20 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I suppose the circular fan has a wider wind path, but that's not a big feature when they can all be set to oscillate.

I have a small bedroom/living room but smaller footprint isn't a worry for me.
roger

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
No reason to regret either choice.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 05:52 pm
I remember our fan from my childhood, maybe from the forties, army or not, but probably.
Sturdy thing, it was. I am guessing I sold it in a garage sale when I had to sell my parents' house, but am not sure. In any case, duh, stupid of me.

Here in Sandville, some of us use swamp coolers (others having regular AC systems), and I figure some having none. The swamp coolers help somewhat. I can still deal with heat, but get cranky if it gets over 95 outside or, say, 88 in the house, thus the cooler, whence it will go down to, say, 83. depending on the day, maybe lower. But there are ceiling fans in the main rooms, and some have more than one speed. That was one expense when I moved in, well worth it.

Add, swamp coolers don't make it in areas of high humidity.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 06:15 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I'll add that I what went through when I gathered my swamp cooler was dead last year, and went to Home Depot and bought two apparently great standing fans. A bit fatter and squatter than the thread pictures.

Michael fixed the cooler (it's 1986 old), I took back the fans. I remember it being hard to choose which type.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 06:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
I like the two most recent ones - they are combo heater/fans. Great not to have to store one or the other.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 07:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
Can you sleep with the floor fan? They're usually too loud for me...
I have a tower one from Honeywell and at a lower setting while oscillating and you don't hear a thing.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 07:51 pm
I rely on ceiling fans in every room.
roger

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 09:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yeah, those evaporative coolers are great when the humidity is low, especially after sundown when outside temperature drops way below the temperature in the house.
0 Replies

izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 01:09 am
@tsarstepan,
And here was me thinking you had problems with a fandom base, expecting, at the very least, to learn something about a new cult film/show.

I'm very disappointed.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 05:55 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I rely on ceiling fans in every room.

I also have a ceiling fan. Not effective during the worst of NYC humid summer nights.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 05:57 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Can you sleep with the floor fan? They're usually too loud for me...
I have a tower one from Honeywell and at a lower setting while oscillating and you don't hear a thing.

I wear ear plugs when I sleep. That's why I went ahead and bought a pricier Vornado floor fan. Due to past experience, it's like a white noise machine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:06 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I also have a ceiling fan. Not effective during the worst of NYC humid summer nights.

can you afford a small dehumidifier? they really make the biggest difference - take out the humidity and blow out nice cool air
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 09:16 am
@ehBeth,
I always thought dehumidifiers were for basements and other enclosed spaces where mildew were potential issues.

I'll give that a thought and look around.
0 Replies