Is it better for me to do A or B?

dov1953

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:00 am
Hi guys and gals, could one of you numberologists answer a question for me. It's a simple problem, I'll try to make it sound like one. I am 49.5 years old. I pay $300 for rent, I earn $7.50 an hour. I will begin to save 20% in a 401k. Zero in a Roth. Would it be better for me to buy a small lot for a future cabin as soon as I can, or cash in all of the 401k when I'm 59.5 and buy it then, having enough money for all of the land and half of the house. I could spend then the next 12 years paying off that 2nd half of the mortgage. I figure if I save, then the earned interest would to be to my benefit. If I bought the land soon, the mortgages interest would work against me. But if I did buy the land now, I probably would be spending more of my life in it than I would if I had to save all the money first. Also, spending $300 every money on rent would not be as much to my advantage as it would be if I were to pay that on a mortgage. So, do I save now for the land and half the house and buy when I'm 59.5, or do I save enough to buy the land the house as soon as I can? Thanksamundo, Dov
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,272 • Replies: 3
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 01:47 am
I doubt the numbers can be crunched, Dov. It's really going to hinge on the anticipated price appreciation of that piece of land, isn't it? No need to mention the value of land compared to other conventional investments in the past few years, is there?

Sorry. I'm better at asking new questions than answering.
0 Replies

dov1953

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 01:38 am
I am the origonal poster. Let's say my pay will go up 2.75% a year and the price of the land will go up 5% a year. I hope that wraps it all up. Thanks, Dov
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2003 10:13 am
Dov:

What about inflation? Right now, it's 4%/year. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies