(poll) Would Albert Einstein...

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 12:09 pm
Would Albert Einstein, if alive today, own a PC and carry a smart phone?

Or would he be a purist and reject such devices?

Opinions welcome. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,196 • Replies: 5

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 12:54 pm
I will take a go at answering this.

I think Albert Einstein might use a PC today. He was quite hip and was interested in how technology worked being a clerk at the patent office in his younger days.

But I say this with some hesitation...

Many scientists have their books that contain tables, charts and graphs.

Much of their work was done centuries if not thousands of years ago by the Greeks.

Star charts, Euclidian geometry and entropy tables...

Also many scientists prefer the tactile feeling of a book or journal.

excerpt:
"Albert Einstein had no car of his own and he also never learned how to drive."

Comment:
Driving a car was such the "in thing" but Albert choose to take the bus (I guess) and I am not sure if he even knew how to ride a bike.

Could he use a typewriter or did he prefer to write his letters by hand?

Perhaps Albert would have his face buried in a PC and would be playing Bejeweled or Candy Crush in the doctor's office on his smart phone while waiting for his appointment. They sure are handy devices.

But the evident fact is that many of the smartest people in the world today don't own a smart phone or a PC.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2017 01:53 pm
Einstein loved gadgets. He relished the gift of a compass as a child, and loved tinkering with a microscope given to him at his 50th birthday party. He developed a new design of refrigerator with Leo Szilard, and a hearing aid with Rudolf Goldschmidt.

But in terms of communications devices, he liked them as far away as possible. He once declared that he could concentrate best and be most creative “away from the horrible ringing of the telephone,” such as on ocean voyages.

In the early 1930s, Einstein spent each summer in a custom-built house in a lakeside village near Potsdam. The house had no phone. Visitors would write to him in advance or just stop by unannounced. He didn’t care if dignitaries surprised him when he was in his pyjamas. He argued to his wife that they came to see him, not his clothes.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 01:55 pm
If Einstein were around today he'd have rejected scientific orthodoxy and instead would be practising Enochian magic as laid down by Dr John Dee. He wouldn't have a phone, instead relying on an Edward Kelly type medium to transmit messages from other dimensions. In this reality that person is Dale Winton, who still presents Supermarket Challenge btw and it's even more popular. Noel Edmonds is still a twat though.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2017 06:18 pm
If Einstein were alive he'd be online at this very site defending special relativity against layman. He'd have lost his cool early and would now be banned.
0 Replies

daverod

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 05:13 pm
@TheCobbler,
He would be fleeing from antiSemitism just like he did from Germany..
0 Replies