proberbilty of birthday to fall on a sunday ?

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:57 am
my daughter wants to know the proberbility of her teachers birthday falling on a sunday any help greatfully recieved Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 907 • Replies: 10
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
Birthdays are equally distributed through the week, so the probability is 1 out of 7.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:10 pm
Another way to look at it is that the day of the week of one's birthday in any particular year was determined on the day you were born.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 05:27 pm
In which case the probability is either one or zero, and we lack sufficient information to determine which.
0 Replies

markr

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:15 pm
MerlinsGodson makes a good point. When you look at it that way, you discover that a given date (month/day) is not equally distributed over the days of the week. For example, if you were born on January 1, over a 400 year period (the calendar has a 400 year period) the distribution would be:

Sun: 58
Mon: 56
Tue: 58
Wed: 57
Thu: 57
Fri: 58
Sat: 56
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:12 am
Overanalysis
Quote:
MerlinsGodson makes a good point. When you look at it that way, you discover that a given date (month/day) is not equally distributed over the days of the week.

You weren't provided with the teacher's birth date. Unless you have detailed information about the sexual habits of the parents (only trying to conceive on Mondays?) and information about the gestation patterns of humans in general and the mother in particular, all you can say is that you are born on one day out of the seven in the week. (Hopefully, the student's teacher did not provide this information!)
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:33 am
engineer wrote:
Birthdays are equally distributed through the week, so the probability is 1 out of 7.

I'm not entirely certain that you are right there Engineer, I saw a Simpsons episode recently where Homer was in bed sick and he said, and I quote, "whats the chances of being sick on a saturday? a thousand to one"

Since Homer is an unclear technician, perhaps you may want to re-think your answer?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 08:37 am
40% of all sick days happen on Monday or Friday. Very Happy
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:12 am
MerlinsGodson wrote:
40% of all sick days happen on Monday or Friday. Very Happy

Thats a regional thing, where I live 83% of sick days fall a friday backshift.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 12:52 pm
Homer's the Man
Quote:
I saw a Simpsons episode recently where Homer was in bed sick and he said, and I quote, "whats the chances of being sick on a saturday? a thousand to one

I defer to Homer. He is the Man!
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:55 pm
Re: Homer's the Man
engineer wrote:
Quote:
I saw a Simpsons episode recently where Homer was in bed sick and he said, and I quote, "whats the chances of being sick on a saturday? a thousand to one

I defer to Homer. He is the Man!

Mr. Green
0 Replies