Death, terror in N. Korea gulag

au1929

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 07:45 pm
Jan. 15 —   In the far north of North Korea, in remote locations not far from the borders with China and Russia, a gulag not unlike the worst labor camps built by Mao and Stalin in the last century holds some 200,000 men, women and children accused of political crimes. A month-long investigation by NBC News, including interviews with former prisoners, guards and U.S. and South Korean officials, revealed the horrifying conditions these people must endure — conditions that shock even those North Koreans accustomed to the near-famine conditions of Kim Jong Il’s realm.
IT’S ONE of the worst, if not the worst situation — human rights abuse situation — in the world today,” said Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kan., who held hearings on the camps last year. “There are very few places that could compete with the level of depravity, the harshness of this regime in North Korea toward its own people.”
       Satellite photos provided by DigitalGlobe, which first appeared in the Far Eastern Economic Review, confirm the existence of the camps, and interviews with those who have been there and with U.S. officials who study the North suggest Brownback’s assessment may be conservative.
       Among NBC News’ findings:
[] At one camp, Camp 22 in Haengyong, some 50,000 prisoners toil each day in conditions that U.S. officials and former inmates say results in the death of 20 percent to 25 percent of the prison population every year.
[] Products made by prison laborers may wind up on U.S. store shelves, having been “washed” first through Chinese companies that serve as intermediaries.
[] Entire families, including grandchildren, are incarcerated for even the most bland political statements.
[] Forced abortions are carried out on pregnant women so that another generation of political dissidents will be “eradicated.”
[] Inmates are used as human guinea pigs for testing biological and chemical agents, according to both former inmates and U.S. officials
I suggest you take the time to read the entire article. Compared to North Korea, Iraq is a playground. Where has the outcry from the human right advocates been low these many years?

http://www.msnbc.com/news/859191.asp?0sl=-43
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,572 • Replies: 15
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2003 08:26 pm
au, Now that we know about the NK gulags, what are we supposed to do with this information? We already know that GWBush is not going to change his priorities at this time, or any time soon. It's probably also possible that many in developed and democratic countries also has this information. We are also aware of the many injustices of third world countries, where tyrants run their governments for their own interests, while the citizens starve and live without medical care. What can we do? c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:18 am
c.i
What can we do, very little, what will we do nothing. In reading this article I was struck by the difference in rhetoric between that of the atrocities in Iraq and those in N. Korea. Where have the Human Rights groups, the UN, the US and the rest of the nations of the world been when they must have known what was occurring in that nation? The treatment of these people is a barbaric as any the Nazi's ever devised and carried out. Why did I post this? I guess out of anger, frustration and disgust over the inaction of the "good" people of this world.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:28 am
When and if the entire world becomes revulsed over these type happenings a true coalition for righting the world's wrongs can exist. Right now there is no consensus. No one nation can go it alone.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:41 am
Quote:
edgarblythe
When and if the entire world becomes revulsed over these type happenings a true coalition for righting the world's wrongs can exist.

That will happen the day after forever. The people and the nations of the world are only concerned with their own self interests. The UN was supposed to be the instrument to 'cure that ill" As it turned out they are no better and in my opinion only interested in maintaining their bureaucracy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 09:47 am
I disagree that maintaining beaurocracy is all the UN is about, but I do acknowledge that the UN is hampered by divisiveness and selfish misuse by member nations.
Should the human race survive so long, my favorite voice in such matters, Philip Wylie, once predicted it will take about five hundred years before humans become civilized to a point where they can successfully do such a thing as create world peace.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:37 pm
Here is an interesting link to documents referring to genocide in Rwanda[/b][/i], and they disclose how did not the liberal administration of the President William J. Clinton do anything to prevent deaths of hundreds thousand people. Unfortunately, humanitarian considerations do not configure practical strategies of the superpowers, regardless of political stance of their leaders.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:51 pm
steissd
My condemnation is not of any political party but of the nations of the world to stand by and watch the barbarity that occurs in many parts of the world. What good is a UN if it cannot perform it's supposed task. It certainly does not live up to it's charter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:54 pm
au, "The good people of this world" are many, and they do sacrifice their own lives helping the lesss fortunate. Unfortunately, many "good people" are incapable of making the impact necessary to help all those that need help. I understand your frustrations, because I see too many misdirected governments, both good and bad, making things worse for more humans every day. It may help you to look for Google links that tells the many stories where good people are helping many in this world. I think a positive enforcement will be in order to help balance some of the gulags of NK. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:58 pm
UN lost its efficiency long ago, and the Cold War was a reason of this. Leading superpowers blocked decisions of each other and built up political blocks of the Third World countries to promote their agenda. In the bipolar world this caused an everlasting stalemate of the UN. And now, when the world became uni-polar, the United nations transformed into openly anti-American organization. Its members are more concerned in restraining the global influence of the "imperialists" than in solving the vital problems of their own regions. BTW, Kofi Annan (a Nobel Peace Prize Leader) is involved in blocking efforts of resolving the Rwanda crisis.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 03:58 pm
i have to agree with edgarblythe, we are the new "Generation of Vipers" just bigger, stronger and "smarter" bombs.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 04:02 pm
On one of the final stage of a trip to Europe, I caught my flight from O'Hare to San Jose International, and sat next to a physician just returning from one of his many "doctors without borders" trips. My nephew, a dentist, grossed over $1 million last year, but sold his interest in all three offices he owned, and is now in India doing missionary work. I met a woman from San Francisco on my trip to Tanzania who once worked for the Peace Corp in Africa. She taught English in a girls school for four years in the sixties. This was the same trip she made one year earlier, and was introduced to the primary school in Karatu, where we visited on our trip. She had collect $4,000 to give to the school. When they visited one year earlier, the school's roofs were destroyed by storm, and she collected $1,000 from her fellow travelers to help the school restore their roofs. There are many good people in this world, and I am impressed with the devotion and sacrifice they make for their fellow humans. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 04:09 pm
c.i
When I wrote the people of the world I was referring to governments.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 04:36 pm
au, I know, but trying to get governments to do the right thing is an oxymoron at best. It takes individuals to make a difference. c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 04:53 pm
c.i.
Individuals are powerless in situations such as those described. They can at best only apply a Band-Aid where a tourniquet is needed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2003 05:02 pm
au, But you also understand that there is a "yes, but." Individuals are powerless to the extent that we don't do anything. Trying to influence our governments will require much energy for an unknown success. Individuals doing something can see the positive results of their efforts. There are some situations where inviduals have no effect, such as the situation in North Korea's gulag, and other countries. For those folks that wish to do something, they volunteer to impact other individuals - not governments. c.i.
0 Replies