How long is a piece of string.

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:23 am
If infinity is classed as an un defined number, then a piece of string is infinatly long:

Code:an undefined number - an undefined number = an undefined number

an undefined length of string - an undefined length of string = an undefined length of string

Therefore a piece of string is infinatly long.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,909 • Replies: 22
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:22 am
Might the piece of of string - an equal length piece of string = nothing, and hence infinately nonexistant?
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:25 am
interesting.

A piece of string then, could be infinately nonexistant.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:48 am
Would that lead to a defined length of string though?

a = undefined length of string
b = undefined length of string

a-b= a defined length of string. it is defined as a-b.

Does that work?
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:54 am
a = undefined length of string
b = undefined length of string

a-b = a
a-b = b
a-b = c (another undefined length of string)

infinity - infinity = infinity
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:12 am
Logic flaw
If infinity implies undefined, and length of string implies undefined that doesn't necessarily mean that length of string implies infinity since undefined doesn't uniquely imply either infinity or length of string!!
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:14 am
if length of string = undefined and infinity = undefined then surely:

Length of string = infinity as undefined = undefined.

?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:29 am
Kedge wrote:
if length of string = undefined and infinity = undefined then surely:

Length of string = infinity as undefined = undefined.

?

As if.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:39 am
Sounds like string theory to me.
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:42 am
Merlin, why not?

if a = c and b = c then a=b

Simple maths Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:47 am
Simple maths, and overly simplistic logic.
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:48 am
Just like me Very Happy Overly Simplistic
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:04 am
Kedge wrote:
Merlin, why not?

Simple maths Very Happy

It is not math.

If you say a ball of yarn = a piece of string and lint in my pocket = a piece of string that doesn't make the lint in my pocket a ball of yarn.

Similarly: $1 = money, $1,000,000 = money, therefore $1 = $1,000,000?
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:15 am
We are getting away from the point a bit.

Based in the context of my original theory the mathematical property of the String (being of an undefined length) and the mathematical property of infinity (being of an undefined value) hold enough similarities, that I would say that you could define the lenght of a piece of string infinately long.

The equations a = c and b = c then a=b prove this point, (if a b and c are all either undefined lengths of string or infinity) the equations do not work (as you have shown) with finite values : $1 = money, $1,000,000 = money, therefore $1 = $1,000,000. This highlights the limitiation of the equations rather than the limitation of my theory.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:33 am
Once again, logic flaws
Quote:
Based in the context of my original theory the mathematical property of the String (being of an undefined length) and the mathematical property of infinity (being of an undefined value) hold enough similarities, that I would say that you could define the lenght of a piece of string infinately long.

The equations a = c and b = c then a=b prove this point, (if a b and c are all either undefined lengths of string or infinity) the equations do not work (as you have shown) with finite values : $1 = money, $1,000,000 = money, therefore $1 = $1,000,000. This highlights the limitiation of the equations rather than the limitation of my theory.

You are talking about logic, not equations. Logic handles your supposition fine. A does not equal B, it implies B. In mathmatics, "equal" means one-to-one correspondance. "Implies" connotates "is a subset of". Cat does not equal animal, cat implies animal. Animal includes cat, but a member of the animal family does not have to be a cat. It's not an equal sign, it's a one way arrow. Likewise, dog implies animal, but we all know that dog is not cat.

There are rules for logic that make for good fun and lots of neat terms like inverse, converse and my favorite, contrapositive.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 12:23 pm
There are lot's of mathmatical errors in this thread, including...

1) These two statements "the length of string is undefined" and "Infinity is undefined" does not mean that "the length of string is undefined". This is like saying -- "firetrucks are red" and "apples are red" so "firetrucks are apples".

2) infinity - infinity = 0 is not a mathematically correct statement. There are cases where an infinite value - another infinite value = 3.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 01:10 pm
MerlinsGodson wrote:
Kedge wrote:
Merlin, why not?

Simple maths Very Happy

It is not math.

If you say a ball of yarn = a piece of string and lint in my pocket = a piece of string that doesn't make the lint in my pocket a ball of yarn.

Similarly: $1 = money, $1,000,000 = money, therefore $1 = $1,000,000?

If I had $1 for every time I heard that....cripes, why do I keep falling for that scam?
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 01:35 pm
but it's not logic. Logic says if a=>b, and b=>c, then c may or may not imply a depending on where they are in their respective hierarchies. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

P.S. I have a sharp edge of my pinky nail, and it's killing my fingers right now. Any idea where i could find a clipper?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:07 pm
Vengoropatubus wrote:
but it's not logic. Logic says if a=>b, and b=>c, then c may or may not imply a depending on where they are in their respective hierarchies. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

P.S. I have a sharp edge of my pinky nail, and it's killing my fingers right now. Any idea where i could find a clipper?

Why sure. The location of the clipper is undefined. Therefore there are an infinite number of clippers. Check the upper left-hand drawer in your bathroom.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 07:12 pm
The most startling thing so far was to find out that fire trucks are apples.
0 Replies