Music Quest

stuh505

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:03 pm
The jungle of music is ominously large and diverse these days...but as we meander the paths through this jungle we come across gems here and there...let's make one more path to follow here. As you come across new bands or songs which you find interesting, post them here! please none of that pop radio stuff, though...and no need to post all of the great bands you've already discovered that you need to share...let's take it slow and just post them as you discover them.

I'll start...I found an Enigma remix of Morcheeba's Fear and Love...it grew on me...I downloaded some of their stuff and am pretty impressed. So far my favorite song is Slow down.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,316 • Replies: 25
No top replies

paulaj

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:19 pm
How about if people type the genre as well.

The reason being, who wants to waste their time on a genre they know they don't particularly care for.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:36 pm
paula, sounds like a pretty good idea...as long as they can list the genre Razz

that band morcheeba has female vocals and a lot of rhythm. thats about the best i can do to describe the genre.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:42 pm
Morcheeba is also very funky, laid back, and groovy. A great listen for anyone who likes good singing, especially over somewhat electronic music. (I'm also bookmarking this thread for later.)
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 12:24 am
Morcheeba is described as trip-hop.

My favorite album of their's is Who Can You Trust?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 07:34 am
Really? Interesting...I just recently discovered another trip hop band, Baby Fox (which I like, but not as much as morcheeba) but I never would have thought to put them in the same category.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:21 pm
Ah, labels . . .
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:24 pm
hmm, Baby Fox. I'm gonna look 'em up right now on Soul Seek.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 11:30 pm
"Clinic: Walking With Thee."

They have other albums I haven't heard, but I have this cd, and although it's not the greatest, it's a pretty good disc. Guess the closest I could compare them to would be REM. Alternative, little funky.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 08:05 am
Baby Fox is good but they mix in a lot of vocals and other sounds which I guess makes them closer to the hip hop side.

Clinic is a lot more rock, I thinlk. They used to play on the radio here. They sound very similar to Go Back Snowball (try Radical Girl, Never Forget, Red Hot Halos).

If you like funky stuff, you might also really enjoy The Dandy Warhols - You Were the Last High, and The Flaming Lips - in the morning of the magicians, are you a hypnotist...they do Do you Realize which most people have heard.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 08:23 pm
Genre: psycho country[?]

Jimmy White - Wrong Eyed Jesus

I heard this as I waited for Anthony Morgan to do his set at the Melbourne Comedy Festival in a small inner suburban pub. Anthony was becoming something of a celebrity in 1999 than he got drug/brainf***ed and moved to Tasmania. He's still rehabilitating himself. The album is kind of weird/cute/american gothic. I had to ask the sound girl what it was, I thought it was a bit Tom Waits, minus gravel. It obviously meant a lot to Anthony coz he was bopping along to it, psyching himself for the show.

Has really odd pensive but psychotic feel to it. And the liner notes that tell the (true) story of wrong-eyed Jesus are weird enough in their own right.

I love hearing something different/interesting under completely chance circumstances. I've since bought trying to get familiar with it.

I would never have even considered listening to it if I'd had a choice.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:43 pm
Banco De Gaia - new age electronica

just discovered them...so far not as impressed as I am by Enigma Delerium or Conjure One...the two best songs I have so far are Down from the Mountain and Buddha something.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2004 12:41 am
Hi Stu - I only just discovered Banco De Gaia this year too. I bought '10 years' (greatest hits sort of). I'd add 'world-fusion' to the genre. The first disc isn't too impressive, but the second isn't bad at all. I liked 'Obsidian'. How did you discover them (him: aka Toby Marks)? I read a glowing report in the Rough Guide To Rock Music.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 01:11 am
It was listed on an some website - enigmafan i think - music awards.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:22 am
I was trying to research an artist...by coincidence, I stumbled across a website mentioning Elizabeth Fraser which immediately caught my attention. It was talking about her cameo in Isengard Unleashed on the Two Towers soundtrack (which I downloaded), and then I was looking into some of the other artists on that soundtrack and checking out the contemporary artists of those on realRhapsody, I found out about Najma Akhtar.

I don't know how this amazingly talented Eastern vocalist has managed to slip under my radar...she's very very good. Every singly song on her album Vivid is a hit. One of my favorites is Kahani...but they are all very good.

Anyone who enjoys the swooning vocals and wailing beauty of the kemain in Eastern music ought to check her out.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 03:21 pm
Thanks for the tip on Akhtar Stuh.

Is the Elizabeth Fraser you mentioned the one from the Cocteau Twins? I bought a couple of their albums but never quite got into it. For women with ethereal, if illegible, voices I'd always preferred Lisa Gerrard (formerly of Dead Can Dance, but most recently of the Whalerider soundtrack - which I haven't heard).
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 04:08 pm
I listen to Lisa Gerrard a lot, along with Dead Can Dance, Faith and the Muse, Vas, Sarah Brightman, and Cocteau Twins.

If you like this kind of music, and you obviously do, then I think you should give Cocteau Twins at least another look over...because I think they are by far the most talented musical group listed here.

Here are some tracks I especially like.

1. Alice (from the Stealing Beauty soundtrack with Dead Can Dance) (not the same as Alas Dies Laughing)
2. Golden-Vein
3. Lazy Calm
4. The Thinner the Air
5. Fifty-Fifty Clown

If you can't find them, and want them, I can probably give you then.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 11:43 pm
I own Head Over Heels and Milk and Kisses, as well as the Iceblink luck single.

Maybe I should invest in Stars and Topsoil:

1. Blind Dumb Deaf
2. Sugar Hiccup
3. My Love Paramour
4. Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops
5. Lorelei
6. Pandora
7. Aikea-Guinea
8. Pink Orange Red
9. Pale Clouded White
10. Lazy Calm
11. Thinner the Air
12. Orange Appled
13. Cico Buff
14. Carolyn's Fingers
15. Fifty-Fifty Clown
16. Iceblink Luck
17. Heaven or Las Vegas
18. Watchlar
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 10:11 am
To be honest, you're much better off downloading tracks from Kazaa first.

A lot of the best songs show up as top hits on Kazaa, but they are spread out over her albums...or not available at all on the albums. I don't know where they come from!

I don't know all the songs on that album, but I really like all of these:

5. Lorelei
6. Pandora
10. Lazy Calm
11. Thinner the Air
14. Carolyn's Fingers
15. Fifty-Fifty Clown

I own Head Over Heals and the BBC Live Sessions...and I don't really think either album is that good.

Treasure probably has the greatest number of good songs on it, but it doesn't have my most favorite songs.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:12 am
Y'all should try SoulSeek. Since I've installed it back in Nov. of last year, I haven't touched Kazaa. I didn't even reinstall it after I did a re-write of my hard-drive back in the spring.
0 Replies