is this sentence awkward?

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 09:33 pm
I wondered whether you'd recommend that I starting preparing now.

If so, how would you change it?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,056 • Replies: 10
No top replies

layman

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 10:00 pm
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

If so, how would you change it?

Thanks.

Without more context it's hard to assess. But, standing alone, the tensing seems awkward to me. You're saying you "wondered" (in the past) about something involving the future (whether you "would"). If it's yet to be determined, why not say "wonder?" If everything is now a past event, then why would it really matter now?
camlok

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 10:11 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Without more context it's hard to assess. But, standing alone, the tensing seems awkward to me. You're saying you "wondered" in the past, about something involving the future (whether you "would"). If it's yet to be determined, why not say "wonder?" If everything is now a past event, then why would it really matter now?

Without any knowledge of the English language, it is impossible for you to comment on these issues.

Punky says 'would' is the past tense.

"wondered" is the past tense of 'wonder' but it is NOT past tense in meaning in situations like this.

0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 10:17 pm
@perennialloner,

Change 'starting' to 'start' and you will be fine. I wonder why you thought to use 'starting' in the first place.

I wondered whether you'd recommend that I start preparing now.
layman

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 10:47 pm
@camlok,
Yeah, Perry, "starting" makes it all the more "awkward." I didn't even read it closely enough to notice that when I gave my original reaction. "Starting" is just plain wrong, and not just because of the tense.
camlok

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 10:59 pm
@layman,
You're still confused, layman. I'm not "Perry".

Your sniveling attempts at trying to sneak away from your other crazy notions are noted.

You never seem to read anything closely enough and even if you were to do such a thing, you still lack the knowledge of the English language to comment on these things.
layman

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 11:08 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

You're still confused, layman. I'm not "Perry".

And, for his sake, thank god you're not. I wasn't talking to you, punk.
camlok

Reply Sun 28 May, 2017 11:14 pm
@layman,
More diversion to hide your incompetence. That diversion illustrates your dishonest nature.

Just come clean, layman. Both you and I, and most everyone else, know you know nothing about the workings of the English language, but you persist in spreading your ignorance far and wide.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Mon 29 May, 2017 05:47 am
Starting was a typo. Maybe autocorrect. I wrote it on my phone. Sorry.

I wrote a similar sentence to an employer, and im stressing out about it. I think the sentence would be better without the that?
centrox

Reply Mon 29 May, 2017 06:46 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:
I wrote a similar sentence to an employer, and im stressing out about it. I think the sentence would be better without the that?

Don't stress. The sentence is correct either with or without 'that'. In fact 'that' is more formal so that's good for an employer.
perennialloner

Reply Mon 29 May, 2017 09:26 am
@centrox,
Thanks for the reassurance. I feel better now.
0 Replies