Biggest disappointments

Gargamel

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:25 pm
patiodog wrote:
Bulletin's got its high points, though. Love the last cut (Bad Days). Course, diehard Lips fans feel like they've been onto something for 20 years and are understandably bitter that "their" band suddenly got popular with their most commercial release. Yoshimi's a damn fine album, though.

That makes sense.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:47 pm
Engelbert Humperdinck's later work always fell flat, I thought. His raw early stuff just never panned out...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:56 pm
patiodog wrote:
Engelbert Humperdinck's later work always fell flat, I thought. His raw early stuff just never panned out...

Yeah man - he was punk 10 years before McLaren finally got it....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:58 pm
Man, he was hip hop when Sugar Hill was Sugar Lump.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:27 pm
Let's not forget Buce Willis, I mean "Bruno."

http://ia.ec.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/17/73/45m.jpg

He seemed like the real deal until he sold out and became a big time actor.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:35 pm
Yeah, I always thought Bruce and Keanu Reeves should do something together. Maybe with Kevin Bacon on guitar. That'd be sweet.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2010 08:12 pm
Time to revisit this old topic. I've been searching for Wappinchaw by Cindytalk forever thanks to a review in the Rough Guide to Rock which made it sound like the second coming.

It's not. Mostly dull noise with avant garde leanings. Incredibly disappointed. Thank the FSM the web has so many options to try before you buy these days. Although I quite like this track:

0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
Hey, nice old topic.

Recently bought Music From the Big Pink. Never was really into the Band -- heard them do an accordian-heavy "When I Paint My Masterpiece" that I quite liked once -- but, you know, this album has that reputation.

I kinda find it dull.

Funny, given the thread -- I listened to Double Nickels a lot over the past winter. I'm not sure how I feel about the music, but it reminds me of California when I was a kid, so it felt good during the long dark Wisconsin freeze...
Gargamel

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 09:10 am
I've been going through a huge Band phase. I prefer their follow up, the "Brown Album," to Music from Big Pink, but dig both.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:29 am
@patiodog,
Have you seen The Last Waltz?. That's what got me on this Band kick.
patiodog

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 09:15 pm
@Gargamel,
Me too. I think it was on the cable a few months back. Dig the movie, dig the performance footage, just not fully into the studio album.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:41 pm
One album it seemed everyone was into when it came out was Joe Satriani's 'Surfing with the alien'.

Never got it still don't get it. It's pleasant enough (if a tad sterile white surfaces), but friends used jump over barbed wire fences to hear it.

I guess if your musical upbringing is whitebread pop Satriani sounds like he's found a new planet, but I had Blow by Blow, Trans Europe Express, Ricochet and ELP's first album when I was 12.
0 Replies