Biggest disappointments

eoe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 05:25 pm
Oh my goodness. G-L-O-R-I-A.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:49 pm
I'm just listening to a big dissapointment now...

Nickels On The Dime - The Minutemen

Read a couple of different critics name check it (The Rough Guide for example).

It's smart but not inspiring.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:13 pm
smog wrote:
"Fly or Die" by N.E.R.D., especially since "In Search of..." was a pretty fun listen.

Yes, I agree on that one.

Ok Computer by Radiohead - I just don't get it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:41 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:
smog wrote:
"Fly or Die" by N.E.R.D., especially since "In Search of..." was a pretty fun listen.

I preferred The Bends and Kid A

Do you like any Radiohead Dotty?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:53 pm
Be careful, hingehead, the Minutemen are one of those bands that will creep up on you. I bought 3 or 4 of their records at one time because everyone said I should own them. At first I hated them, because they weren't "punk" enough. Now I love them all.
Double Nickels on the Dime has some uneven spots, but is a great listen overall, In my book.

As a matter of fact, I now have "Jesus and Tequila" running through my head...

hingehead wrote:
I'm just listening to a big dissapointment now...

Nickels On The Dime - The Minutemen

Read a couple of different critics name check it (The Rough Guide for example).

It's smart but not inspiring.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 05:59 pm
every metal album released this century with the exception of the latest Judas Priest..... I'm just a Priest fanatic...

AC/DC are due in 2007 as is Heaven and Hell (Iommi, Butler, Dio and Appice) and late 2007 a new studio real Sabbath (4 original members) cd, so I have high hopes for 2007. Also, Van Halen set to tour with Dave. Hot Damn!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:26 pm
I've had that experience many times.

I heard Exile on Mainstreet (fortunately did not buy it) and gave up buying Stones' albums and putting down large sums of cash to see them live.

After Terrapin Station, i lost interest in the Dead. I had already given up on live shows after being buried in annoying teeny-boppers at a late 70s concert, and knowing the little shits had been crapping in their diapers when the band started. Blues for Allah made me wonder, and Terrapin Station convinced me that they were headed somewhere (who knew where) that i was not interested in accompanying them.

Same reaction with Suicide Blond by INXS.

Same reaction to Europa by U2.

I think this can happen often if one is attracted to a particular aspect of a group's music, and they change in some fundamental way--or they fail to change. In the case of the Stones and the Dead, they changed, respectively, from a Mississippi blues and a 1930s cowboy blues background, and i was not interested in what the change produced. In the case INXS and U2, i just got tired of hearing the same thing all the time. I more or less had the same reaction to The Who, but The Who wore better over time than some lesser groups.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 06:40 pm
Tom Waits's release of "Real Gone" a couple of years ago. I'd thought the previous pair were flat recyclings of his old self -- especially after the apparent rejuvenation and surprising vulnerability of Mule Variations -- but Real Gone was just empty. No substance. The new one's pretty uneven.

Would still shell out big bucks to see the guy. Best show I've ever been to.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 08:48 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Heaven and Hell (Iommi, Butler, Dio and Appice) and late 2007 a new studio real Sabbath (4 original members) cd, so I have high hopes for 2007. Also, Van Halen set to tour with Dave. Hot Damn!!!!

Hey thanks for the metal goss Bear - how weird - is there any permutation of metal demigods that hasn't formed a band?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:06 am
hingehead wrote:
Dorothy Parker wrote:
smog wrote:

I preferred The Bends and Kid A

Do you like any Radiohead Dotty?

Hmm, no not really. I bought it purely on the strength of that it had been voted best album of all time by Q magazine or something. I figured all those people couldn't be wrong so I guess that'll teach me.

To be fair to Radiohead, I have not really given any of their other stuff the time of day.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:35 am
Dorothy, you have right to be pissed - OK computer mightn't be my favourite but it's damn good. I guess you and Q had a disconnect. Bummer for you...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:59 am
[size=7]can't stand radiohead[/size]
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
patiodog wrote:
[size=7]can't stand radiohead[/size]

Speak up, boy! We can't hear you!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:48 am
RADIOHEAD SUCKS! OMSIGDAVID SAYS SO!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:55 am
If Omsigdavid says so, it must be so.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:07 pm
Ditto what LionTamer says about Double Nickels. I shelved that quickly after purchasing it. But certain songs would echo weeks later, and before I knew it I was listening to that album as I should, not for individual songs, but each song and its relationship to the next one. If that makes any sense. Some of the accoustic excursions on that album are quite nice, too.

Okay, I fell in love with the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots instantly, and listened to it nonstop for months. Then Lips diehards told me it was nothing compared to The Soft Bulletin. But Soft Bulletin pales in comparison if you ask me. Just way too grandiose and cute for my taste. There's certainly grandiosity to Yoshimi, but the melodies are so staggering that the listener actually sympathizes with what would otherwise be melodrama. Not so with Bulletin.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:21 pm
Bulletin's got its high points, though. Love the last cut (Bad Days). Course, diehard Lips fans feel like they've been onto something for 20 years and are understandably bitter that "their" band suddenly got popular with their most commercial release. Yoshimi's a damn fine album, though.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:22 pm
Gargamel wrote:

Okay, I fell in love with the Flaming Lips' Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots instantly, and listened to it nonstop for months. Then Lips diehards told me it was nothing compared to The Soft Bulletin. But Soft Bulletin pales in comparison if you ask me. Just way too grandiose and cute for my taste. There's certainly grandiosity to Yoshimi, but the melodies are so staggering that the listener actually sympathizes with what would otherwise be melodrama. Not so with Bulletin.

Your experience reflects mine completely - Yoshimi got to me so I started exploring the back catalog - interesting in bits but never reaches the schmaltz/existential resignation of Yoshimi. I used to play it and Scorpio Rising by Death In Vegas over and over back when they first came out...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 04:45 pm
patiodog wrote:
Bulletin's got its high points, though. Love the last cut (Bad Days). Course, diehard Lips fans feel like they've been onto something for 20 years and are understandably bitter that "their" band suddenly got popular with their most commercial release. Yoshimi's a damn fine album, though.

Wait, no, I'm thinking of Clouds Taste Metallic. Clouds Taste Metallic is a pretty good disc.

The Soft Bulletin I've listened to once or twice and since ignored...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:35 pm
patiodog wrote:
Tom Waits's release of "Real Gone" a couple of years ago. I'd thought the previous pair were flat recyclings of his old self -- especially after the apparent rejuvenation and surprising vulnerability of Mule Variations -- but Real Gone was just empty. No substance. The new one's pretty uneven.

Would still shell out big bucks to see the guy. Best show I've ever been to.

agreed, i saw the him on the franks wild years tour, outstanding
0 Replies