2
   

Keith Olberman MSNBC Takes On Lying Liar Anne Coulter

 
 
Harper
 
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:37 am
Quote:
It has all even come to the attention of the blithe agitator of the far right, Ann Coulter, who yesterday not only wrote of the election irregularities but, I'm proud to say, slimed and misquoted me. "In a major report on 'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' last Monday," my fellow Cornell alum writes, "Olbermann revealed that Bush's win in Florida - and thus the election - was �'attributable largely to largely Democratic districts suddenly switching sides and all voting for Mr. Bush at the same time'!"

It made for fascinating reading, because it made me think for a moment that I had been on television while in a coma. I couldn't recall making such a broadly ridiculous remark - and it turns out I didn't. Ms. Coulter, living up to her usual standards which many of us in the Alumni Association nightly pray she didn't learn at the University, took a quote from a transcript of the November 8th show completely out of context, and entirely twisted its meaning.

The actual quote follows, with the key portion discarded by Ms. Coulter indicated in bold face:

"There (Florida), county totals in Tuesday's election might be attributable largely to largely Democratic districts suddenly switching sides and all voting for Mr. Bush."

Thus, a comment indicating how President Bush might have legitimately achieved majorities in some Florida counties, is transformed into a contention that the entire election turned on those county margins.

It's a neat trick - the journalistic equivalent of the dog who learns to balance the biscuit on her nose and then flip it into her mouth on voice command.

Never tried it myself.

What do you think? Email me at [email protected]

  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,017 • Replies: 70
No top replies

 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:47 am
Oh, I love Keith Olbermann.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 07:48 am
Did anybody see the Bill Maher show about 2 weeks ago when she was on at the same time as Richard Belzer (who can't stand her)? I thought that what he had to say about her was incredibly accurate.
0 Replies
 
squinney
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:03 am
Ooh, Freeduck, I'll have to watch that one On Demand. Not sure how I missed it, since I usually catch it On Demand sometime during the week if I miss a (rare) Friday night showing.

Keith and Chris are the only ones I can watch nightly on MSNBC. The bias is so obvious with Scarbourough, and especially with Pat Robertson whom he has sitting in for him lately.
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:30 am
Just in case you missed her last column ....

Ann Coulter wrote:
Olbermann Can 'Countdown,' But Can He Count Up?
November 10, 2004

On Fox News' "Special Report," Brit Hume raised the nut conspiracy theories circulating on the Web about Republicans stealing the presidential election. The liberals on the panel responded by quickly pointing out that no national Democrats - not even Terry McAuliffe! - had suggested that there had been any systematic vote theft. Hume admitted the rumors of vote fraud were limited to nutcases on the Web.

Like most Americans, apparently no one at Fox is watching MSNBC!

In a major report on "Countdown With Keith Olbermann" last Monday, Olbermann revealed that Bush's win in Florida - and thus the election - was "attributable largely to largely Democratic districts suddenly switching sides and all voting for Mr. Bush at the same time"! You know Keith Olbermann is heart-attack serious when he starts using "largely" twice in the same sentence.

Somberly reporting that "all this data here is from the office of Florida's secretary of state," Olbermann listed five Florida counties where the registrations are majority Democratic - and yet (!) the counties went for Bush.

A quick glance at the Congressional Almanac indicates that all five counties in Olbermann's conspiracy theory are in the Florida Panhandle, where most people have been registered as Democrats since their grandfathers registered them to vote shortly after the Civil War. This is in contrast to Broward and Dade Counties, where the vast majority of voters entered their party registrations when they moved to Florida from New York a few years ago.

As if anticipating Olbermann's idiotic conspiracy theory two years ago when he wrote the most recent almanac, Michael Barone specifically notes that these Panhandle counties - though still majority Democratic in party registrations - have been voting for Republicans for president for many years. This would include the 2000 presidential election when the three voting districts at the centerpiece of Olbermann's conspiracy theory voted for Bush by 69 percent, 66 percent and 57 percent. The only way Barone could have made this any clearer to the "Countdown" host would have been to begin the chapter, "Dear Keith Olbermann ..."

There's no mystery, no scandal. These are what's known as "Southern Democrats," who have been voting Republican for a very, very, very long time. Most of them probably don't even realize they're registered as Democrats. These people are Democrats like Kevin Phillips is a Republican, like Ashlee Simpson is a singer.

The only scandal is that a purported news program would raise insinuations of vote fraud based on the party registration of Southern Democrats living in the Florida Panhandle - without anyone at the show checking the Congressional Almanac. (It's especially attractive to be promoting a theory based on a lack of basic information, in the self-righteous, smug manner of Keith Olbermann.)

No election in the United States can be discussed intelligently without reference to Michael Barone's Congressional Almanac. At any half-serious TV news station, the Congressional Almanac is as common as a phonebook.

But at MSNBC, Keith Olbermann can go on air with the major breaking story that five conservative Democratic Panhandle counties voted for Bush, without one person on the show: (1) consulting the Congressional Almanac, (2) looking at the results of the 2000 election, or (3) apparently ever having heard of "Southern Democrats." (They're all Republicans now!)

In case you needed more on the genius theories being hatched on MSNBC's "Countdown With Keith Olbermann," even if every one of these counties went unanimously for Kerry - count them up, Keith! - that's still, at most, about 50,000 votes. Bush won by 350,000 votes in Florida.

So I guess we can add "math" to Keith's growing "I Don't Do" file, along with "Reading the Congressional Almanac," "Basic Show Prep," "Getting My Attitude in Line With My IQ" ... (By the way, shouldn't Keith Olbermann be avoiding "time is running out" motifs wherever possible?)

One cable news network employs Michael Barone as an analyst; one cable news network does not own a copy of the Congressional Almanac. Guess which one regularly gets seven times the ratings of the other?

In addition to Olbermann peddling the theory that Bush stole the election to his viewer, guess which network employs a correspondent who wasn't sure if the following was a joke?

BUSH AT FIRST PRESS CONFERENCE AFTER WINNING ELECTION: "Now that I have the will of the people at my back, I'm going to start enforcing the one question rule - that was three questions."

BUSH RESPONDING TO A REPORTER'S FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: "Again, you violated the one question rule right off the bat. Obviously, you didn't listen to the will of the people."

MSNBC correspondent David Shuster replayed this exchange on MSNBC's "Hardball" and then grimly remarked: "It was hard to tell at times whether the president was simply needling reporters, or whether he really planned to clamp down." It wasn't hard to tell for anyone who speaks English.
0 Replies
 
JustWonders
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:42 am
Thanks, Tico. You know what's amusing is the Dems are in such denial they can't even begin to fathom that a registered Democrat would vote Republican. (Laughs).

'Twasn't just Florida, by the way. A bit of snooping shows this happened in some of the Dem strongholds in Southern Cali as well (laughs harder).
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:56 am
Dennis Miller is much better! Wasn't Olbermann on ESPN at one time? The goofy looking guy with glasses?
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 08:57 am
More links to the Olbermann election fantasy -- 3 days in a row, and counting! ....

http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2004/cyb20041109.asp#1
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2004/cyb20041110.asp#1
http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2004/cyb20041111.asp#1
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:02 am
I find it hard to believe that the only "voter fraud" would be in states won by Bush. Sounds like a conspiracy to me....
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 09:11 am
cannistershot wrote:
Dennis Miller is much better! Wasn't Olbermann on ESPN at one time? The goofy looking guy with glasses?


Yes. I found him tolerable on ESPN.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:20 am
I think what the original post of this thread is about is the ability of the 'fascist party doll' (gotta love Belzer) to take a quote out of context, use it to build an enormous straw man, and then congratulate herself on her mighty strenght as she knocks it down.

And anyone who watches Countdown knows that it's not exactly a serious headline news show. So maybe those of you who are piling on in an effort to get your punch to the pathetic liberals in could take a breath.
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:28 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I think what the original post of this thread is about is the ability of the 'fascist party doll' (gotta love Belzer) to take a quote out of context, use it to build an enormous straw man, and then congratulate herself on her mighty strenght as she knocks it down.

And anyone who watches Countdown knows that it's not exactly a serious headline news show. So maybe those of you who are piling on in an effort to get your punch to the pathetic liberals in could take a breath.


Except I don't think she used it in a sense that was out of context with what Olbermann's clear point was. That much is evident by his shows this week.

You might tell Olbermann his "news" show is not exactly serious. Sadly, I don't think he shares that view.

And our "piling on" as you call it is only a predictable response to Harper's original post where she tried to give legitimacy to Olbermann's show, and the validity of his stories regarding the election "fraud" he thinks he is uncovering.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:32 am
Tico, do you regularly watch Countdown? While I confess I haven't watched it in a week or so, I think it's quite clear that he does not take himself seriously. Did you watch the show in question? How can you be sure that he thinks he is uncovering 'fraud' and not just that he is reporting on the rumors.

In her own piece, she seems to be saying that it was ok for Brit Hume to bring it up, but not for Olbermann -- who regularly reports wacky stories -- to talk about it.

I repeat what I said before, take a breath.
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:38 am
squinney wrote:
Ooh, Freeduck, I'll have to watch that one On Demand. Not sure how I missed it, since I usually catch it On Demand sometime during the week if I miss a (rare) Friday night showing.

Keith and Chris are the only ones I can watch nightly on MSNBC. The bias is so obvious with Scarbourough, and especially with Pat Robertson whom he has sitting in for him lately.


Squinney, you don't find any bias with Chris or Keith? Shocked

Was it Pat Robertson or Pat Buchanan sitting in for Joe? (Bit of a difference, don't you think?)

Pat (Buchanan) and Joe got into a bit of a "heated" discussion last night regarding the role of Arafat with the Palestineans.
0 Replies
 
DrewDad
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:40 am
I thought Harper was bashing Coulter.

Not that Coulter is much credited by anyone left of Rush Limbaugh.
0 Replies
 
Dartagnan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:41 am
Coulter went to Cornell? So much for the reputation of the Ivy League. I always suspected it was overrated.

Re Dennis Miller, who someone praised here: He gives new meaning to the word "smug." I always get the feeling that he's his own best audience.
0 Replies
 
cannistershot
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:44 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Coulter went to Cornell? So much for the reputation of the Ivy League. I always suspected it was overrated.

Re Dennis Miller, who someone praised here: He gives new meaning to the word "smug." I always get the feeling that he's his own best audience.



I do praise his show it is as good as Olbermanns and a lot better than McEnroe. I do agree that he is smug but he makes a joke of it.
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 10:49 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Tico, do you regularly watch Countdown? While I confess I haven't watched it in a week or so, I think it's quite clear that he does not take himself seriously. Did you watch the show in question? How can you be sure that he thinks he is uncovering 'fraud' and not just that he is reporting on the rumors.

In her own piece, she seems to be saying that it was ok for Brit Hume to bring it up, but not for Olbermann -- who regularly reports wacky stories -- to talk about it.

I repeat what I said before, take a breath.


*deep breath* ... *exhale*

Okay. No, I wouldn't say I watch him regularly. Don't really care for him. Much like BPB doesn't care for Scarborough. But I did catch bits and pieces of his show last night and the night before where he was covering this story. I assure you, he is taking this issue as seriously as it's possible for him to do.

Coulter was pointing out that Hume briefly brought up the issue, and it was quickly laid to rest as "limited to nutcases on the Web." It has been Olbermann's top story for 3 nights now!

Quote:
On Fox News' "Special Report," Brit Hume raised the nut conspiracy theories circulating on the Web about Republicans stealing the presidential election. The liberals on the panel responded by quickly pointing out that no national Democrats - not even Terry McAuliffe! - had suggested that there had been any systematic vote theft. Hume admitted the rumors of vote fraud were limited to nutcases on the Web.


And I should point out that I occasionally read Coulter. And I certainly watch her whenever I find her on a cable news show. I find her amusing in her approach. But she's a bit extreme in her views, even for me.
0 Replies
 
FreeDuck
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:07 am
Well, ok Tico. I think that his show is generally humorous and not meant as a 'headline news' sort of serious news anchor bit. It's also not a talk show like Hume's or (someone brought up) McEnroe and Miller.

But I just went back and looked at the transcripts, and while it's clear that he is giving voting irregularities a lot of coverage, it is not clear (as you and the fascist party doll seem to believe) that he is espousing the idea that the election was stolen. And election irregularities are worthy of coverage, in my opinion.
0 Replies
 
Ticomaya
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 11:28 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, ok Tico. I think that his show is generally humorous and not meant as a 'headline news' sort of serious news anchor bit. It's also not a talk show like Hume's or (someone brought up) McEnroe and Miller.

But I just went back and looked at the transcripts, and while it's clear that he is giving voting irregularities a lot of coverage, it is not clear (as you and the fascist party doll seem to believe) that he is espousing the idea that the election was stolen. And election irregularities are worthy of coverage, in my opinion.


Very Happy

Okay, FD. I'll admit I truly don't know for a fact the motivation for why he's devoted so much time and focus to the issue of "election irregularities." Perhaps I'm reading too much into the fact that it's been his lead story for three nights in a row ....

... but if that's his lead story tonight .... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Keith Olberman MSNBC Takes On Lying Liar Anne Coulter
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 11/23/2020 at 10:30:21