Geological Formation

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 04:49 pm
Hi,

Here is the interactive map that I'm working with: http://www.largeimages.bgs.ac.uk/iip/mapsportal.html?id=1003959

I have been given three grid references, and told to name the geological formation at each grid reference. These are: 290560, 257637, and 303571.

Taking 290560:

Carboniferous, Carboniferous Limestone Series, Cawdor Group

In the first instance, I am unsure which is the formation here? Is it Cawdor Group?

The following (Page 9, Table 2) suggests that the Cawdor Group is now equivalent to the Eyam Limestone Formation, and now within a group called Peak Limestone Group:

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/planningdocuments/CW4-0111-153/4.2310.3/01-Application-Documents/sup-Hydro%20Geological%20Report.pdf

I then have a similar problem for the second grid reference given as well.

Kind Regards,

Chris
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,625 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 05:04 pm
@ChrisHughes,
Sounds like homework that you want someone else to do. For your information, geologists dont store specific stratigraphic information in their everyday heads. BUT, we know where to look for these data. I suggest you start learning those skills.
Start with a Lexicon of International Stratigraphic Nomenclature site. Then go farther out using the coordinates youve been given. This sounds like a practicum. Wht will you do when you are doing this for a living?
ChrisHughes

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 07:15 pm
@farmerman,
I'm not a geologist, and nor will I ever be a geologist. This is the last ever piece of geology work I will ever have to do.

I have done the work, actually. You can see I found the map and have searched other sources as well, and am only now looking for a little help from people on the internet.

All I was asking was a clarification on the lexicon, as I'm working from an old 1970 map and the newer sources have been updated, but I can't find a complete one (I had found one on BGS, but I would need to pay).

Thanks though.
farmerman

Reply Tue 16 May, 2017 01:05 am
@ChrisHughes,
did you note the start columns given in the hydro rport. Geological Fm names often are changed to consolidqte group names. I think thats what youve got here.
Also the hydro report does show the GPS coordinates , they are just a bot fuzzy on my copy. I blew em up and they are just bigger and fuzzier.

IS there a purpose to your assignment besides just verifying a group name?
0 Replies