All about vLogs

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 06:35 pm
Question: What is vLogging?
Answer: It is very similar to blogging, only instead of words, you use video.

Many people are interested in doing this but don't know where to begin. It can be intimidating, but once you break it down into it's basic elements, it's not that hard. Here is my step by step guide to making a vLog.

1) Have something to say - This doesn't mean that you have to have a script, but have your thoughts together on where you want to take a viewer. Pick a topic and theme for your entry. Don't worry about doing too much with one entry, you can always do another.

2) Setup a camera - You can use a webcam, digital camera with a video function, or if you own a nice digital camcorder you can use it.

3) Film it - Try to film short segments. Move the camera around and try shooting at different angles. You'll have a chance to edit it all together later.

4) Edit it - You can use free software like Windows Move Maker, iMovie, or you can use more complex software like Adobe Premiere. Make sure to add in a title ate the beginning and if you plan to post this to a website, make sure to include that at the end.

5) Compress and upload - After editing, compile the video into one piece (a final product). Start a youtube account, and upload your video. It will take a while to compress it depending on the length, and then it will be ready to ebed onto a blog or website.

6) Post it - but it up on your site, or here on A2K!

TIP: if that is still overwhelming, a way to step into this slowly is to just use a webcam and post directly to youtube on your user page! The end product is post able to other pages and youtube even gives you some basic editing tools!

TIP: try and keep vLogs under 8-10minutes

TIP: have fun
K
O
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,020 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 08:41 pm
@Diest TKO,
here's one I did for a road trip...

T
K
O

0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 08:59 pm
@Diest TKO,
That is pretty neat
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:40 pm
@TTH,
Thanks!
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 08:07 pm

Just having fun.

T
K
O
littlek

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 08:32 pm
@Diest TKO,
heehehehe.... I had to stop about a third of the way through, but it's great so far. Will follow up next week.
littlek

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 08:38 pm
@littlek,
By the way, did you see the coverage for tonight's charity dinner in NYC? McCain was a riot. His roast made me soften towards him a little bit.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g92pG-rj4FtxIp_AQoZ7gf6sIk4wD93RVEPO0
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 09:02 pm
@littlek,
Working on more. It take a lot of time to make these when you start to get really retail oriented.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2008 07:12 am
I didn't know where to post this, so this seemed like a good place for now.

Here is a vLog that I made from the election night. It was too large to upload to You Tube in one piece so I broke it up into three parts and uploaded it. The election is not as a popular topic right now, but I would still appreciate comments on things like editing etc.

At this point my blog: http://theregoesourhero.blogspot.com/ is a weird entity. I don't know what I'm doing with it, only that I'm doing something. I really like doing the vLogs, but I wish I could do more.

I'm always looking for topic suggestions.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:50 pm
New vLog!

Not as topical as usual...

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:02 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest, sweet. I'm going to try and make one tonight.

What software are you using to edit your vids?

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's funny. I use Windows Movie Maker. It's an admittedly crappy editing software, but strangely, I like it. I was using Adobe Premiere, a very good software, but I got frustrated, and went back to the simple software.

I'm almost to 10 vLogs. When I get there, I think I'm going to challenge myself to start doing more advanced camera, lighting, and production techniques.

T
K
O
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:22 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

It's funny. I use Windows Movie Maker. It's an admittedly crappy editing software, but strangely, I like it. I was using Adobe Premiere, a very good software, but I got frustrated, and went back to the simple software.

I'm almost to 10 vLogs. When I get there, I think I'm going to challenge myself to start doing more advanced camera, lighting, and production techniques.

T
K
O

What kind of camera you use? I just got a JVC with a shitload of features for xmas, and I've been trying to figure out a nice project for it.

Windows Movie Maker eh; did that come pre-packed with vista or did you buy separately?

Cycloptichorn
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I have a Sony HDR-CX12 HD camera. I recently bought some wide angle and fisheye lenses and three lens filters (polarized, U/V and fluorescent). I have a mini-tripod (about a foot tall) and then I bought 4 cheep desk lamps and colored light bulbs for a cheep lighting effect.

Windows Movie Maker came with Windows Vista.

My advice is to just go for it. I never posted my first vLog, but as you can see it's not nearly as good as they are now. Practice makes perfect...

first vLog --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1bOAVn1ZvE
(NOTE the A2K reference)

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
also, back then I was using my webcam...

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2009 12:40 am
Yet another new one. This one is a little more ADHD...

Also, I just got done redesigning my Youtube channel. Tell me what you think of the design.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TagamiTKO

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 11:34 pm
I've been lagging behind, but here are two from inauguration.

Enjoy!

More to come soon. Feel free to check out my blog, or rate my videos on youtube!

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 04:31 am
After 5 months, I figured it's time to do a new vLog. This one is particularly odd.

Enjoy?

T
K
O
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 08:02 am
Ha, I had no idea this was here. I have a few that I've done for a weight loss site I belong to. One is about measurements, another is a demo where I show how I make guacamole. Plus 2 others, one is the first one I did for them so I just tell a story and the most recent one I show where I fit into a much smaller top (yes, I strip). Smile
Diest TKO

Reply Tue 15 Sep, 2009 01:36 pm
@jespah,
Post them up. Yay for A2k User created media!

T
K
O