Guess what wild animal was loose in Birmingham's sewers in 1899

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 04:52 am
Bet you didn't guess a lion.

Interesting historical story from the BBC website. This is just a brief excerpt. The article is far more detailed.

Quote:
Reaching Birmingham, Bostock and his team were preparing for a show when one of his lions jumped over its keeper, pushed through a rip in the circus tent, and prowled off towards Birmingham city centre "as free and untrammelled as when in his native wilds".

According to Bostock's account of it in his book The Training of Wild Animals, the lion came across one of the openings to the sewerage system and "down he sprang, looking up at the crowd of people and roaring at the top of his voice. As he made his way through the sewers, he stopped at every man-hole he came to, and there sent up a succession of roars, driving some people nearly wild with terror."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39799098
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 802 • Replies: 7
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 06:26 am
I was set to guess: alligator.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 07:10 am
@edgarblythe,
I think most people were, that or a crocodile. I didn't, but that's only because I'd just clicked on a link that said "Lion on the loose."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 08:36 am
I was thinking a childhood neighbor lady, Mrs. Armitage.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 10:05 am
@blatham,
Didn't she get shanked?
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sun 14 May, 2017 09:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Saying it was a giant rat wouldn't be so wrong. The are still in there I bet.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 01:06 am
@seac,
If there were were any giant rats, they probably all fucked off to Redditch once they got a whiff of a giant puss cat.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 01:53 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm off topic, except for the century. Public Broadcasting (PBS) is showing a once a week series of an hour docudrama called Victorian Slum House. I thought I saw a 2016 copyright at the end with the credits? Has this been popular in England? It started with the 1860's and on the third week is up to the 1880's. There was a depression starting in the 1870's, and the factories moved more work into mini sweatshops in the slum house to avoid the new child labor laws in the more formal factories. All very interesting. As part of the authenticity the docudrama managed to find two Jewish families that had family in London at that time, perhaps, to add to a personal touch of this modern family learning how their ancestors had a daily struggle for survival. In my opinion, many Americans would not be interested to see Jewish families in this docudrama, if the locale was somewhere in the U.S.. Not hostile, just disinterested, in my opinion. I applaud the British for their apparent willingness to learn history without a slant that is 100% self-congratulatory, a la many Hollywood westerns.
0 Replies