Dog peeing on floor and sofa for last few months.

RAY16

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 04:54 pm
My dog Buddy (generic name, I know) found me about 7 years ago while I was on my way to school. He followed me to school and he followed me back home after school let out. He has always gone outside to pee and has always let us know when he wants to go outside to pee when the doors are closed by scratching the door and running back and forth from the door to us. He has had to put up with a lot of crap from my brother who abused him over the years but me and my mom have always treated him good. My brother finally moved out a few months ago and during the last few weeks before he moved out he kind of increased his abuse, which is around the time my dog started peeing on the floor and sofa.

He still pee's outside and lets us know when he wants to go outside to pee, but he also pee's in the house now. He never does it when we are around and he always does it in the same spots (well, sometimes in other spots but these spots are his "favorites"). The two spots are under the kitchen table and on the corner of the sofa (which then drips down and gets on the carpet below the sofa). I've noticed that a lot of times when I sit down next to him to pet him and give him some attention he rolls on his back.

Here's a picture of him:

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/NeoHumanity-Buddy2.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 15,496 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 11:27 pm
Aw, what a cute dog!

I'm sorry that your brother was mean to him. What kind of abuse did the dog suffer?

There are a variety of things that could cause I dog to do this sort of thing. But, because of the abuse, and the location/timing of the indoor peeing, I'd guess he's suffering some psychological problems more than biological problems.

All the same, it may be a good idea to bring him into the vet for a check up. The vet can figure out what the problem is and give you ideas about how to fix it.

Good luck and good ridance to your unkind brother.
0 Replies

RAY16

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:51 am
littlek wrote:
Aw, what a cute dog!

I'm sorry that your brother was mean to him. What kind of abuse did the dog suffer?

If buddy was in his way he would kick him instead of walking over or around him, not hard enough to cause any serious damage but enough to make him cry and move out of the way, sometimes he would drag him by the collar to the point where he would cough and gag a little, and he was just mean to him in general.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:42 pm
What a sweet dog, Ray.

Definitely get him to the vet for a quick check-up, make sure it's nothing physical first. It does sound like it's a reaction to the abuse he suffered - he may need some extra lovin'-up for a while, til he's convinced your brother's not coming back.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 03:49 pm
If he suffered abuse from another 'male' in his house, his peeing may be a way of trying to reclaim his dominance in his home. You may not be able to stop him for a while until he is sure that your brother isnt coming back.

On the other hand, if it just a bad habit he has developed, you can crate train him. But that depends on how long you ever leave him alone.
If it is only for a few hours at a time ( not to exceed 4 hrs ) crate training may be the EXCELLENT way to break this habit.. if you leave him alone longer then that.. you can always ask a vet for some training tips , aides, and other things that may help you.
I wish there were more people like you who truly loved thier animals.
Your dog is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him to love.
I wish you a long loving time with your dog. :-)
0 Replies

RAY16

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 06:20 am
I don't think I'll be able to do crate training. We take the bus when we go out because we don't have a car so it takes a while to get things done and come home. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I guess I'll just take him to the vet to get a checkup and if nothing is wrong with him I'll just hope the problem goes away eventually.
0 Replies

Kedge

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 06:26 am
Good luck and let us know how you get on.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 02:20 pm
Ray, my female dog has occasional problems with an ear infection that won't completely clear up. When that happens, she seems to get anxious, and can't wait til I get home. I've got doggie pee pads for her, and she's very good about using them. Maybe your dog could be trained to go to the pad when he's in a hurry.

Lots of rewards when he gets it right! Very Happy
0 Replies

corgilover44

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:52 pm
Dog peeing
How old is your dog? My former dog peed on the floor every day when she was getting up in years (12-13 years old). If your dog is older, he may have trouble controlling his bladder or other things.
0 Replies

Jpitts

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 04:47 pm
I have a similar problem
My dog is buddy as well coincidently, he is an aussie / lab mix 12 weeks. Old I had him potty trained at 4 weeks and all of a sudden yesterday he peed not 5 feet from the door (which was open), so I Yelled NO! and he ran outside to complete, when he finished I pet him and Told him good boy. About midnight he decided to jump on the bed and pee on the bed next to me. I was half asleep so I have to admit I was upset and swated him on the butt while telling him no and then I put him outside for an hour. Just 10 minutes ago we were wrestling on the floor and he decided to pee on me, I was less than 10 feet away from an open backdoor. I now have him on a leash tied outside, I will leave him out there for an hour.

Other than last night I have never hit this dog and I live alone with my buddy. I work from home so he is always sleeping at my feet during the day, I play with him for at least an hour a night (dedicated not including just messing around playing tug of war with one hand while I read my e-mail) he is a smart dog I taught him fetch, sit, lay down, speak, shake, all in 2 1 hour sessions. He has his last set of shots coming up soon so ill talk to the vet, but I would appreciate any kind of advice you guys could give.

Thank you,
[email protected]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:17 pm
Has he learned anything new recently, Jpitts?

I found my male dog would occasionally slip on older rules, when he learned something new. It seemed to be a short-term stress reaction.

With a 12 week old dog, I'd be making sure that the common courtesy part of training was handled, and made completely secure in his head, before moving on to tricks or games. Gotta remember, that while you're proud of what he can learn, he really is still a baby - and parts of his body are still developing. With a large breed cross - you're looking at 2 years of puppyhood.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:33 pm
Well, completely shampoo and clean the couch and affected carpet; spray it with frebreeze when it dries; and then cover it with tin-foil. (It will look ugly, but it won't be comfortable to pee on anymore.)

If the spot under your kitchen table is linoleum or tile instead of carpet -- lay newspapers down.

Take the dog to the vet. He may have an infection that prevents him from holding it for very long or making it painful when he pees.

You might also consider building a kennel outside in a shady spot and leaving Buddy in the kennel when you're not at home.
0 Replies

Jpitts

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:53 am
Thank must be it
Thanks for the advice, I am sure that is it. He learns things so fast I have found myself adding something new on every third day. Should I lengthen that to once a week? Or two weeks?

ehBeth wrote:
Has he learned anything new recently, Jpitts?

I found my male dog would occasionally slip on older rules, when he learned something new. It seemed to be a short-term stress reaction.

With a 12 week old dog, I'd be making sure that the common courtesy part of training was handled, and made completely secure in his head, before moving on to tricks or games. Gotta remember, that while you're proud of what he can learn, he really is still a baby - and parts of his body are still developing. With a large breed cross - you're looking at 2 years of puppyhood.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:03 am
When I've taken my dogs to formal training, they usually look at each major new skill set on a one to two week basis.

I'd suggest taking it down to something new each week, and see how your pupster reacts. And don't forget to do lots of fun reps of the things that are already in his kit - nothing like success to make a lil dog happy.
0 Replies