Google tracking your every move.

ossobucotemp

Wed 3 May, 2017 06:50 pm
@maxdancona,
I am surely boring to searchers. Wrong, of course.
But, again, agreeing w/Max
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Wed 3 May, 2017 07:21 pm
@maxdancona,
As somebody that has done web design, marketing, SEO, etc I am intimately familiar with what Google has access to. And I don't have any views that I'm not comfortable with, or relationships, or anything else. It's not that some of them aren't "unpopular", I'm just comfortable with who I am, what I do, and what I believe. I don't do anything that's going to get me into trouble legally, so I don't worry about the law at all (I know you brought up a prosecutor earlier). Any of my actions or beliefs that are brought to question socially like here on a forum or in person I'm fine defending my position or acknowleding that I was/am wrong on something.
McGentrix

Wed 3 May, 2017 07:31 pm
I get this in corner because I've made sure all this doesn't work.

http://i.imgur.com/Mn8YjAH.jpg
tibbleinparadise

Wed 3 May, 2017 07:44 pm
@McGentrix,
That's the googles, trying to steal your naughty bits. 😀
0 Replies

maxdancona

Wed 3 May, 2017 07:53 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
I don't think you understand what privacy means to many of us. It has nothing to do with being "comfortable with who you are". I am comfortable with who I am, and I still value my privacy.

There are many reasons that people need privacy. Privacy is very closely related to freedom. There is a reason that our forefathers built privacy into to Bill of Rights (see the 4th and 5th amendments for example).

I accept that you have nothing to hide. I don't understand it. The most meaningful things in life to me are things that are only shared with close family and friends. Some things that I am proud of aren't things I want my employer to know, or people I might know casually.

It is fine for you if you have nothing to hide. It doesn't make you better than anyone else. Many of us feel the need for privacy.

tibbleinparadise

Wed 3 May, 2017 08:15 pm
@maxdancona,
I have never and would never claim to be better than anyone.

In posting your thread I assumed you were seeking responses from the general population, that's why I replied with my own comments. I don't get why you seem to be taking my comments personally. I speak only for myself, about myself, based on my own knowledge and experiences. If we don't agree, that's okay, or at least I'm okay with it. I appreciate that you feel a greater need for privacy than I do. I have not been put in a position where a high degree of privacy was necessary. We've had different life experiences and that's okay too.

And since the topic has gone awry, I'm going to bow out of this one as to prevent further distractions from derailing the thread even further.
0 Replies

seac

Wed 3 May, 2017 11:51 pm
I sent somebody an email from my Yahoo account. I was surprised when he replied "you have a big knife". That was my Youtube avatar on the email he received through his Google email. I guess from this he could access my Youtube channel which I keep semi private to just my friends.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
rosborne979

Thu 4 May, 2017 01:31 pm
@maxdancona,
I would be very surprised if Google were the only entity compiling information (tracking or otherwise) on everyone. For every view of ourselves that we get like this, there are probably 10 more that are far more invasive that we don't even know about.

I think people need to give up on the idea of privacy while in public places, unless they are very remote places. Cellular providers track phones that attach to the towers and they store that data (and analyze it and probably sell it), video cameras are all around us and almost everyone is now carrying a portable video camera with Internet Streaming upload capability. Our credit cards are tracked our cars are tracked our purchases history is recorded, our social media links are stored and on and on it goes.
maxdancona

Thu 4 May, 2017 02:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Google Is likely the only institution that gets real time data from a precise GPS device that is almost always on my person. Most people know to use cash when they want privacy. Not everyone knows how to leave their cell phone at home.
Foofie

Tue 9 May, 2017 12:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Google Is likely the only institution that gets real time data from a precise GPS device that is almost always on my person. Most people know to use cash when they want privacy. Not everyone knows how to leave their cell phone at home.

Is your argument based on an archaic word: Privacy? Will there be privacy on other planets? There was once the privacy when husbands didn't even tell a wife how much he earned. It is all based on society's social mores.
maxdancona

Tue 9 May, 2017 05:50 pm
@Foofie,
What is your definition of "archaic"?

You are Foofie, I doubt that is your real name. You don't give us any way to find out your real identity.

Privacy still exists. In some cases it takes a little more effort to protect it. In other ways, technology provides new ways to protect it, for example symmetric encryption. Education is a big part of this.
Foofie

Wed 10 May, 2017 02:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

What is your definition of "archaic"?

You are Foofie, I doubt that is your real name. You don't give us any way to find out your real identity.

Privacy still exists. In some cases it takes a little more effort to protect it. In other ways, technology provides new ways to protect it, for example symmetric encryption. Education is a big part of this.

It is what you define as a real name. Any God knows me by my Hebrew name. The government knows me by the name on my birth certificate. Schmekles on A2K know me as Foofie or some diminutive (i.e., Fluff).

But, privacy might just be archaic, since who I really am is only known by the homunculus in my head.
0 Replies

iamharismohammad

Wed 1 Nov, 2017 06:45 am
@maxdancona,
Yea, that's true. Even I feel the same. I would like to share an instance. Once I was sending an official mail using Gmail, in the body of the mail, I had typed "Please find the attachment below". But, I had forgotten to attach the attachment. As soon as I clicked the "Send" button, a pop-up came which said something like: "There is no attachment attached".
Clearly, even the private emails are being tracked by Google.
tsarstepan

Wed 1 Nov, 2017 07:19 am
@iamharismohammad,
iamharismohammad wrote:

Yea, that's true. Even I feel the same. I would like to share an instance. Once I was sending an official mail using Gmail, in the body of the mail, I had typed "Please find the attachment below". But, I had forgotten to attach the attachment. As soon as I clicked the "Send" button, a pop-up came which said something like: "There is no attachment attached".
Clearly, even the private emails are being tracked by Google.

That's not tracking. EVERY major email service (including Outlook) has this feature of convenience for the forgetful or flaky.
0 Replies

Abdul Kadir

Tue 21 Nov, 2017 05:40 am
@maxdancona,
That is a issue which is not been considered as google is having all our data and without our permission.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 21 Nov, 2017 07:46 am
Rather than lament the fact that the Internet isn't private, it might be more productive for all of us to figure out ways to encrypt our Internet activities and then sell it.

Some entities like Amazon will always know things about us personally because we purchase through them. They probably own that data and there's nothing we can do about it (terms of the contract that nobody ever reads). But general Internet Browsing information (cookies and such) are different and can probably be encrypted in some way. Then the only trick is finding an easy way to make that information available at a cost. The TOR web browser can accomplish the encryption part, so I think the main thing which is missing is an easy way to monetize our own cookie data. Instead of us paying big companies monthly fees to use their services, it would be nice if big companies had to pay us a monthly fee to see our activities.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

angel5671

Sun 4 Mar, 2018 03:31 am
@seac,
They need to compete with facebook and track demographics as well
0 Replies

angel5671

Sun 4 Mar, 2018 03:33 am
@maxdancona,
I do not deal with google incognito mode is always good for me. I do not know if a firewall protects your demographics from being detected
maxdancona

Sun 4 Mar, 2018 08:21 am
@angel5671,
Incognito mode does nothing to stop anyone from tracking you or using your data. The only thing incognito mode.does.is prevent people you share you computer with, i.e. your wife, from seeing your search history.