$215,000 for lucky phone number

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:54 am
Link : http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/11/06/pricy.number.ap/index.html

BEIJING, China (AP) -- A Beijing man has paid $215,000 for the ultimate in lucky cell phone numbers -- 1, followed by a string of 3s.

The phone number was sold this week at an auction in the Chinese capital, newspapers reported Saturday.

Chinese tradition considers 3 a lucky number and groups of 3s even luckier. Though the number 8 is the luckiest, all Chinese cell phone numbers begin with "13," making it impossible to make a number with all 8s.

The reports by the Beijing Times and Beijing Morning Post didn't identify the buyer. Phone calls to the number on Saturday weren't answered.

Hotels, restaurants and other businesses in China regularly try to obtain phone numbers with groups of 8s. Those that can't wind up settling for groups of other numbers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 720 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 02:23 am
I went to a Chinese Restaurant the other night with my son. In each of our fortune cookies we had 4 fortunes, totalling 8. I must be luckier than I thought! Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 03:52 am
Sad Cool Confused Smile Very Happy Laughing Confused

I really have nothing to say about this "normal" case :wink:
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 04:12 am
Very Happy
0 Replies