Wal-Mart opens in shadow of Mexican pyramids

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:45 am
Link : http://uk.news.yahoo.com/041106/323/f63n5.html

SAN JUAN TEOTIHUACAN, Mexico (AFP) - Welcomed by consumers for its cheap prices and despised by local businessmen, Wal-Mart's new store near the Teotihuacan pyramids is also in hot water with an environmental group who believes "Bodega Aurrera," as the store is called, may be sitting on an archaeological site.

For hundreds of families living in this tourist mecca 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of Mexico City, Thursday's opening of the bodega was greeted with applause and shouts of "We did it!," as it brought in welcome competition to local stores and markets where prices for some are too rich.

In San Juan Teotihuacan "there are few stores and everything they sell is very expensive," Maria Felix Nieves, a homemaker at the opening, told AFP.

"Bodega Aurrera" is only 2.5 kilometers (1.5 miles) from the famous pyramids of the Sun and the Moon and a nearby artifacts-rich archeological site.

"The truth is that the people who opposed (the opening) don't care that we're poor and in need of cheaper goods," said Estrella Torres who was checking out kitchen appliances at the store.

Despite a gruelling six hour wait in sunlight, the first people streaming into Bodega Aurrera were all smiles as they went about buying food, diapers, kitchenware and cleaning products.

The Wal-Mart store's location relatively close to the Aztec pyramids drew outrage from an environmental group that claims the store is sitting on an archaeological site.

The locals dismiss most of the controversy, pointing out that the new establishment really bothers only local merchants and store owners.

Ema Moreno, self-proclaimed "keeper of the pyramids," admitted "some members of the Civic Front for the defense of the Teotihuacan Valley were local merchants, but this is not what drives our opposition."

"We're really opposed to any new construction in the area," said Moreno, a 59-year-old indigenous woman member of the environmental group who is camped out near the archaeological site.

The front treated the opening of Bodega Aurrera as a day of mourning.

Homero Aridjis, writer and environmental activist, told AFP by telephone that next Sunday the Front has planned a massive demonstration against Wal-Mart.

Meanwhile customers were overjoyed at the bargains.

"Laundry detergent costs 20 pesos (1.50 dollars) less than in town, and besides, it is bigger and diapers for my baby are on sale. The store really suits me," said Guadalupe Cervantes, another homemaker at the check-out line.

Dozens of children stormed the toy section of the bodega as their parents admired a stack of car tires advertised at 328 pesos (28 dollars) each.

The same smiles and stares could be seen at home appliances and clothing departments, where an iron cost 11 dollars, a coffee-maker 14 dollar and a child's overcoat only five dollars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,147 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 12:51 am
there was another thread in anticipation of this here on a2k;
I'm in a listening mode.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:18 am
I have always wanted to locate a chicken shack close to Chicken Itza. It would just have to be called Its'a Chicken
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 01:23 am
Roger, for that you get a prize, it was wonderful. Perhaps a nice golden egg?
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 02:37 am
I dunno....but for some reason I don't think Sam Walton would have been too keen on this one. Just a gut feeling. Maybe his heirs just want to ensure their place on next years Forbes 400. Sad
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 04:08 am
or a place in hell forever Wink
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 04:22 am
I think they already have reservations booked. :wink:
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 04:51 am
tell me about it
they are going first class as well Smile
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:02 pm
These greedy corporate bastards............
How about one on the rim of the Grand Canyon or
right next to the pyramids in Egypt??

dispicable!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:40 pm
Cuz there just ain't that many customers on either rim of the canyon, that's why.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:36 pm
I haven't reviewed the other thread lately, but I think someone there, possibly Fbaezer, said the store was not put
right next to the pyramids but two miles away.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 02:40 pm
Only to put htings in context:

The new store -it opened Sunday- is about a mile and a half from the nearest pyramid. It's inside the town of San Juan Teotihuacán.

Right next to the Wal-Mart, (and between the new store and the pyramids) you have three banks (Banamex, Bancomer and HSBC), a Dormimundo mattress store, a Comex paint store, a furniture store ("Palacio del Mueble"), a Ford vehicle dealership, a roasted chicken store, an automovile electrical repair shop, a Xerox copy center, an Elektra store (furniture & appliances).
No one had cut his/her ideological veins before to prevent the bankers' greed, the chicken murderers' psychopathy or the evil imperial auto giant from approaching the sacred ground of Teotihuacan.

A few dozen handkerchief-covered anti-WalMart activists tried to block the entrance to the archeological site, but were stopped and beaten. Not by the police, but by the souvenir peddlers who make a living out of visitors.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:07 pm
Well then, there we have the context...
(thanks, fb).
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 07:35 pm
Much as I despise the heirs of Sam Walton and their evil empire, this does seem to be much ado about next to nothing.
0 Replies