Ain't she sweet! Princess Charlotte turns 2.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 05:46 pm
@centrox,
ahhhhhh i loved Rothmans in the first years I smoked
not easy to find but worth the effort - or so I thought
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 01:02 am
@ehBeth,
The commercially knitted product, if available to the general public, probably costs an arm and a leg. (Can't see Will and Kate shopping in Primark.)

How many knitters will have finished their knitting only to find the kid in question is way too big?

I'd call it a cardy, not a sweater, because of the buttons.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
The commercially knit sweater wasn't expensive. It sold out right after the photo came out. http://us.hellomagazine.com/fashion/12017050122412/princess-charlotte-second-birthday-sweater-sells-out/

They don't seem to indulge in wildly expensive things. I've looked at the John Lewis website. Seems mid-rangeish. (and the shirt Charlotte wore underneath is $6 right now http://www.jojomamanbebe.com/girls-peter-pan-tees-b8736.html definitely affordable)

Ha. Most of us at this stage of the game can knit to size pretty accurately and swiftly. A woman in one of my groups knit something like 60 pussy hats in one week - sold them at $20 a pop to the anti-Trump marchers.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 10:28 am
@ehBeth,
John Lewis ain't cheap. The only time I go there is to buy vacuum cleaner bags. Very inspirational upper middle class, sort of place Cameron went to when he was trying to appear normal..
Foofie

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 11:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Don't waste your time. He's just looking for attention.

Ah yes, the old adhominem put-down trick; however, even if attention is what I am looking for, that doesn't negate the validity of my question regarding the apparent stilted childhood of a young royal. The fact that the question might be taboo for the British might lead one to believe that nothing stands in the way of British pomp and circumstance. Notice how you criticize American values, but Jesus crackers, no one can even broach a question about Britain and their idiosyncratic ways. The old double standard trick, I believe.
Foofie

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 11:52 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Foofie wrote:
In my opinion, the Brits are so addicted to their royals,

Foofie, there are plenty of us that are not. "The Brits". Sheesh.

Non-sequitur. Pity the poor royal children that have their lives mapped out for them at birth. Sad, in my opinion.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 01:13 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't think anyone suggested it was cheap.

__

as it appears this was all set up to provoke argument, I'm checking out.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 02:26 pm
@ehBeth,
I wasn't looking for an argument, just pointing out that when the ruling classes try to affect normality they'd be better off shopping where most people shop as opposed to somewhere that typifies the well off.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 03:18 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The fact that the question might be taboo for the British

It definitely is not "taboo" in Britain.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 03:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I see on rereading this enjoyable thread (mostly), that it was Nixon's guard's foot (or correct me). Either way, watch out for you and me, we're trouble, even now.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 04:31 pm
@centrox,
Fluff learnt everything he knows about Britain from My Fair Lady.
saab

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 12:10 am
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I got mad and walked over and pushed that little guy who was going to walk out.

It was Nixon´s foot I stepped on. I kind of pushed him aside and stepped on his foot.
saab

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 12:28 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Does anyone in the UK, or elsewhere, lament that the young royals do not have the benefit of a normal childhood?
in my opinion, the Brits are so addicted to their royals, they might not even see that a child has childhood taken from them, at least the normal childhood, with regular children.

I do not know if Royal children in Europe have such a bad childhood in comparasion to children of very ,very rich and/or very famous in any country.
These children have to be protected from kidnappers or fans and all kinds of
strangers. Often one has the feeling of the children of famous parents are used to show off their parents.
At least one gets the impression there is a certain intelectual level in the royal familes, which certain showbuisiness poeple seem to lack.
Foofie

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 02:05 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Fluff learnt everything he knows about Britain from My Fair Lady.

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 02:11 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

At least one gets the impression there is a certain intelectual level in the royal familes, which certain showbuisiness poeple seem to lack.

I thought Kate is the first Royal that went to university? The males go to some military academy I thought. Fine, they are all geniuses, but intellectual? They are wrapped up in their historical role as being the next link in "there'll always be a Britain," in my opinion. In my opinion, the whole Royal charade (my words) reflects "the sillies" a la Monty Python. The reality is that the monarchy do own forests, land, castles. It's as though the wealthy of other countries convinced the masses that God gave them their wealth. I guess that might be why Henry VIII had to reject Rome (Rome might have spilled the beans that any God would not have given the Royals their wealth, at least not the Jesus of Rome; perhaps, the Jesus of the red states?)
saab

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 12:20 am
@Foofie,
NOTE. I wrote royal families, meaning all the royals in Europe.
You do not have to go to a university to be intellectual.
The royals do own castles etc.
In case we get a presidents instead of kings and queens all these things still has to be paid for and taken care of.
I certainly prefer our king to say Berlesconi, Mussolini, Trump, Honecker, Putin, Orban the list is long.
Foofie

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 02:56 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

NOTE. I wrote royal families, meaning all the royals in Europe.
You do not have to go to a university to be intellectual.
The royals do own castles etc.
In case we get a presidents instead of kings and queens all these things still has to be paid for and taken care of.
I certainly prefer our king to say Berlesconi, Mussolini, Trump, Honecker, Putin, Orban the list is long.

You are entitled to your European opinion. I'm an American that thinks of Royals anywhere as an anachronism; my opinion that I am entitled to.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 03:14 pm
@saab,
Foofie has exhibited, for many years, disdain for learning about other places than where he or she lives. Curiousity-less, and fast to slam places of which he or she is relatively ignorant. I bet aspects of his or her own place.
saab

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 11:22 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Then Foofie should not be so arrogant regarding royals, as they surely have to learn about other places, people of all kinds of walks in life, about politics, art - the list is long.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 May, 2017 11:51 pm
@saab,
He's always been like that, and won't change which is why I don't bother with him. Some people like to wallow in their ignorance.