The origin of life on planet Earth

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 10:36 am
A "cloud" falls from infinite space. Then, in the crust of the planet, as in the depths of the primitive oceans, could be observed the existence of a viscous element that covered the whole Earth. With this gelatinous mass, protoplasm was born. This matter, amorphous and viscous, with its condensation gave origin to the birth of the nucleus. The earliest inhabitants of Earth are albuminoid cells, amoebae, and all unicellular organisms that have multiplied in the warm waters of the oceans. These beings only reveal a sense: of touch, which gave rise to all others.

centrox

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 10:48 am
Wow.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 11:08 am
@centaur999,
centaur999 wrote:
A "cloud" falls from infinite space...

Why do you have "cloud" in quotes? Does it not mean, cloud like in the normal sense?
0 Replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 11:21 pm
@centrox,
Everybody knows that God made the earth and everything on it about 6000 years ago...geeze.
roger

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 12:44 am
@tibbleinparadise,
Maybe god just made that gelatinous mass of cloud.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:20 pm
@roger,
Or maybe Ridley Scott's "engineers"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:22 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
Quite glib and as far as fundamentalist nonsense goes, perhaps deserved, but dismissing God as the creator of all things is a leap of faith.
tibbleinparadise

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 07:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It was a joke.

But, since I'm here, I'm one of those religious whack jobs that believes in God AND evolution (dun, dun, dunnnn).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 03:03 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
Me too.

Stick around, you'll see where I'm coming from.
tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 05:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Sarcasm is hard on the internet!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 06:11 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
It needs a special font
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 06:33 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
It's interesting being a conservative in this forum. You won't get any credit for you moderate opinions the second you advance a hard conservative one.

There isn't as much intellectual give and take here as there should be. It's more a battle of two tribes on either side of the river hurling insults, feces and the occasional spear.

This could cause you to leave, or change or try to maintain a "rational middle of the road" position. We've all faced it. It will be interesting to see how you proceed.
tibbleinparadise

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 07:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thus far I've simply "stepped out" of two threads. Once it devolves into a pissing match I try to take the high road. I enjoy the back and forth and the varying opinions on things. I don't mind having my own views challenged, but there is a hard line between challenging with the intention​ of understanding and challenging just to be a douche.

At any rate, A2K seems like a decent enough place, I'll stick around for now!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 08:55 pm
Oh, woe is me, woe is me . . . it's so hared being a noble conservative in this wasteland of librul savages . . . whaaaaa . . . whaaaa . . .

Somebody call the Whaaaaambulance.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 7 May, 2017 09:07 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Oh, woe is me, woe is me . . . it's so hared being a noble conservative in this wasteland of librul savages . . . whaaaaa . . . whaaaa . . .

For someone that's not added anything positive to a conversation in some time, it's good to see that you continue to do so.
Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2017 12:38 am
@McGentrix,
How very nasty of you. In fact, despite Finny's efforts to turn the latest Mars thread into a bitch fight about capitalism, we've been having an interesting conversation over there. Your snotty condescension is noted, though.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 06:44 pm
@Setanta,
Oh, woe is me, woe is me . . . it's so hared being the great Setanta in this wasteland of right-wing savages . . . whaaaaa . . . whaaaa . . .

They always get so nasty and snotty!

tibbleinparadise

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 06:47 pm
Everybody gets so butt hurt around here! It's the internet, don't take it all so personal or serious!
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 9 May, 2017 06:49 pm
@tibbleinparadise,
Ah grasshopper... Smile
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 10 May, 2017 05:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
...but dismissing God as the creator of all things is a leap of faith.

I'm guessing that the "God" you speak of doesn't look like the elderly Leonardo DaVinci? I think that the dismissal of "God the creator" has more to do with the simplistic way the story is told, by people full of conviction using a narrative source which is at least a few millennia old. If someone wants to speculate about the origin of life on earth or the creation of the universe and uses the term "God", well sure — he can fine tune his definition by taking cosmological science into his account and use the g-word to cover both mystery and agency. But all too often we see true believers simply taking the Genesis story (or any other creation myth) literally and employing it as a cudgel against doubt, curiosity, and empirical evidence. I have little interest in discussing the topic with such people.

1. Forums
  2. » The origin of life on planet Earth
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:42:09