Trump victory based on Max Weber

altecz

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 09:37 pm
How can I use Max Weber's theories on class, status, and party to explain Trump's victory and support from working class?

I analyzed his success in that area with Marx, but am struggling with Weber
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,645 • Replies: 2
No top replies

altecz

Reply Sun 30 Apr, 2017 10:58 pm
@altecz,
Currently, I have been working on Weber's point on how technological advances and economic repercussions lead to class situations coming to the foreground. Since class situations are the predominant factor for status groups (as Weber says), I argued that Trump appealed to the working class's HONOR. Not quite sure how to prove that yet, but will keep working.

If anyone has comments on this, I would love to hear it Very Happy
p-dorbeigi

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2017 02:29 am
@altecz,
Considering an extremely low voter turnout because of the fact that the DNC cheated Sanders out and there wasn't much of a difference between Clinton and Trump, and the fact that Clinton won the popular vote, I'd say suggesting that the working class found him an appealing option is a little out there, especially when he was the least favorable candidate in history. I'd say you have a much better shot at it by using the conflict perspective and critical theory, explaining how the establishment prevented the rise of Sanders through employing numerous tactics. But to suggested that Trump has the support of the working class will just make a mockery of your work, because the majority didn't vote for either candidate.
0 Replies