One of New England's oldest residents dies at 111

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:04 am
Link : http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cpress/20041104/ca_pr_on_od/obit_111_year_old&e=3

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - One of New England's oldest residents, who died at 111, will be remembered Saturday with a champagne toast.

"I was digging out a magnum of champagne," said Gordon Muise, 81, of Westborough, Mass. He plans to bring it to a luncheon following a funeral mass for his mother, Virginia Muise. "It isn't often you have a mother who lives to 111."

Virginia Muise died Tuesday at the Grafton County Nursing Home in North Haverhill. A widow, Muise is survived by four children, 18 grandchildren and several great-grandchildren.

Muise was born in Halifax on July 27, 1893. She was 16 when the Titanic sank in 1912, and remembered seeing coffins of the victims stacked on docks there.

"Her father worked on the docks and she actually watched (survivors) disembark," said Eileen Bolander, Muise's nursing home administrator.

In 1917, the family survived an ammunition ship explosion that killed about 2,000 people in Halifax. "The whole city blew out its windows," Muise said.

In 1923, the family moved to Boston - home of the Red Sox who were World Series (news - web sites) champions in 1918 - and Virginia Muise took a shine to baseball. She was a regular visitor to Fenway Park, taking advantage of ticket discounts offered to women.

Nursing home staff said she kept a Red Sox cap in her bed and was delighted when the team won the World Series last month. "She loved the Red Sox. She was passionate about them," Bolander said.

In Boston, she worked as a housekeeper and cook before becoming manager of the cafeteria at the former Boston Lying-In Hospital, where she stayed until retiring at 65.

Her husband, Charles Muise, was a blacksmith. He died in 1977 at 94.

According to a Los Angeles-based group called the Gerontology Research Group, Virginia Muise was the oldest known New Englander and No. 31 of the 59 oldest people in the world. The group keeps track of super centenarians - people over 110. There was no other New Englander listed, unless you count a 113-year-old man who was born in Maine and moved to New York.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,207 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:12 am
Lucky buggers, they can remember when the USA was a democracy.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 02:35 am
Wink Laughing
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:57 am
It's mind boggling to think that this lady has died in the 21st century and was born when Wyatt Earp was in his prime
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 04:59 am
Smile truly Smile
have you been to bed and gotten up again don?
im still awake since you were last here...
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:05 am
who was the oldest ever on record?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:11 am
According to Guinness, the world's oldest person with an authenticated birth record was Frenchwoman Jeanne Calment, who died in 1997 at age 122.
Worlds Oldest People
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:42 am
cool col Very Happy
Have you ever expected to get over it? Smile
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:44 am
yeah im gonna live forever Wink
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:45 am
im also going to go to bed Smile
byeee....
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 05:56 am
Col Man wrote:
Smile truly Smile
have you been to bed and gotten up again don?
im still awake since you were last here...

I'm one of those people Col that only sleep for about 4 hours, I wish I could sleep longer but I just cant.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 08:47 pm
Shocked lucky you i wish i could sleep for less than 10 hours Shocked
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 02:01 am
Quote:
A Japanese woman believed to be the world's oldest person has died aged 116.

Kamato Hongo died in hospital on Friday, one of her grandsons said.

Mrs Hongo was well-known throughout Japan for her habit of sleeping for two days and then staying awake for two days.

Her grandson Tsuyoshi Karauchi, who lived with her, told the BBC last month that sleeping was a favourite pastime for his grandmother.

Work at it Col-Man!! You might make the records books!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 02:03 am
Quote:
A retired Dutch needlework teacher with a passion for soccer and a taste for herring celebrated her 114th birthday yesterday with a place in the record books as the world's oldest person.

Hendrikje van Andel-Schipper was declared the world's oldest woman - and person - by Guinness World Records when the previous 114-year-old title holder Ramona Trinidad Iglesias Jordan of Puerto Rico died last month.

source (30 June 2004)

110 years of herring! Not sure of why death seems to be the lesser alternative :wink:
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 03:03 am
If she could play soccer at 114 Mr. Stiilwater I'm getting on the herring diet today Very Happy
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 04:00 am
Very Happy
0 Replies