What do I do if I've put too much ginger in a soup?

froggy

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:39 pm
Please help me figure out how to save my curried butternut squash soup. I've accidentally put twice as much ginger as the recipe called for...what do I do to counteract that??
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 48,604 • Replies: 19
Topic Closed
No top replies

cavfancier

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:47 pm
Yeesh...if it's really thick, just add more water. If it's thin, you may need both more water and squash puree. If you want to cheat, use some unsweetened pumpkin puree from a can, add it in, water the seasoning down, and re-puree. Freeze the leftovers.
0 Replies

shepaints

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:49 pm
...make another batch of soup (without ginger) and mix them together!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 05:59 pm
kill yourself...this is unforgiveable....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:02 pm
It certainly is.

Oh, and try putting in a extra dollop of MaryAnn to balance things out.
farmerman

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:40 pm
put in 1 cup of sugar and say its dessert. Little wup cream on top nobodyll know, even if there be clams in it.

PS, There be no clams in it?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:32 pm
Yikes!

A bit of coconut milk would have helped, but I'm afraid
it's too late now, right?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:36 pm
add cabbage, sausage, bacon, sugar, tomatoes, and make it a hit of a party. everybody can point their fingers and laugh at the thing!
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:38 pm
and a little Kraft Miracle Whip congealed topping, stuff.
MMMMMM-MM
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 09:41 pm
You're making an a2k pottluck out of this one Mr. Green
0 Replies

littlek

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:38 pm
I was going to suggest cream, but I think cocnut milk is prolly an excellent option.
0 Replies

froggy

Fri 5 Nov, 2004 11:00 pm
Ok, you are all hysterical, but I solved the problem by adding some chicken stock (even though the recommendation was water) and it's very tasty and presentable...Thanks to Cavfancier!!! You're suggestion worked beautifully and saved my soup...Thank you, Thank you!
raychard

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 09:19 am
@froggy,
Chop in an eating apple. And if your mouth is still stinging after the meal eat an apple.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 11:19 am
add a blonde to bland it out a bit
0 Replies

chai2

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 02:32 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

It certainly is.

Oh, and try putting in a extra dollop of MaryAnn to balance things out.

I think this is the best solution, never mind the blonde.

chai2

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 02:33 pm
@chai2,
I hate those slices of pickled ginger they give you when you buy sushi.

Does anyone really eat that?
Ticomaya

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 03:48 pm
@chai2,
Absolutely!
chai2

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 05:15 pm
@Ticomaya,
I guess I'm not a big fan of ginger then.

I'm glad they separate those pickled slices with those litte plastic palm fronds. I try to flip the slices off without touching them. Even the juice on my fingers is yucky to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 16 Aug, 2013 05:52 pm
@chai2,
Me.

On the other hand, I was just talking with Diane today about ginger - we went to a mutual first for either of us, a vietnamese fast food shop. Mediocre would be the best I could grasp at, saying it to be nice. Vietnamese food by a cook we (ex and I) got to know as a friend has never been surpassed anywhere else I've been, but that gave me a standard to go by. (Haven't been to that famous place in San Francisco, Slanted Door. I figure they know what they are doing.) Anyway, Dys and Diane and I went to a few vietnamese restaurants here, and while I generally liked them as places, everything I ever ordered in any of them besides the coffee seemed to not only have ginger in it, but too much ginger. So I can get ginger repulsion. I try not to think about it.

I still put ginger in some of my molasses cookies, but not at all often.
I still like my ex's concoction of lox and basil and ginger and lime (in butter) on farfalle.
0 Replies

crestdst6

Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:48 pm
@froggy,
I did the same to my homemade turkey soup. I first added about 1/8 a cup to a small amount of the soup taken out of the pot and put in a bowl, tasted and OMG it worked. I then just poured about cups in the pot and viola no ginger.
0 Replies