Should benefit receipents have obligations towards society?

Badboy

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 08:52 am
I hate the fact that I am a passive receipent of state benefits(I am severly disabled).

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,548 • Replies: 8
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:28 am
I think that your feelings are understandable but I'm glad that benefits are available to you. I think we all have an obligation towards society, no matter what our abilities. Sometimes just being a decent person is a contribution in and of itself.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:33 am
I think it depends on what benefit you are getting.

If you are retired after 35+ years of work, and are getting monthly Social Security checks, then you are getting back a portion of what you paid into the system.

On the other hand, if you're a student getting financial aid, I'd say you have an obligation to study hard and do well in your classes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:36 am
Well here's another angle. My oldest son is Educably Mentally Hanidcapped. He also is in a narrow group with seizure disorder (epilepsy...a severe kind) that cannot be 100% controlled.

Because of this higher education is out for him.....and his opportunities in the work force are extremely limited.

Because of this he is on S.S.I. and medicaid. The government has decided his life is worth medical benefits and 376.00 a month.

I felt that if I could teach him the value of saving a mere 50.00 a month and investing it, a good habit, form day one at age 19, he would eventually be able to live modestly but independently on his own and not be a "burden" as compassionate conservatives so lovingly refer to him on society but lo and behold I learn that should he ever hold more than 2000 in assets he's off the program. That 2000 would buy his medication for two months.

Should he work part time to get more money so he can enjoy the "luxury" of occasional discretionary spending, it comes off his checks dollar for dollar.

So as you can see, the government has literally set a value of 376.00 a month on his life, and removed all possibilities of him doing any better for himself.

Therefore I say f*#k the government and let him stay home and relax.

All incentives to do better are removed from the system, and my greatest fear is that eventually, under the purposeful efforts of this administration, that my cub will not be able to get his meds and will lie around having 50 grand mal seizures a day.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:41 am
I suggest moving this thread to the Philosophy/Debate forum.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:44 am
Geez, BPB, that sucks and I'm sorry.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:56 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Geez, BPB, that sucks and I'm sorry.

That's our system...in the real world...not a discussion forum or the hallowed halls of congress.....that's how real people are effected.....
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
There's gotta be a way to fix it. I believe in a social safety net, it has to be there in a civilised country. But there's got to be a better way. It shouldn't trap people in a crappy life, it should hold them up until they can get swimming or it should offset the difficulties of disability but it should not be a source of disability itself.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 04:55 am
I live in the UK, my brother thinks I should work.
0 Replies