High pitched frequencies. . in my ear

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:21 pm
From time to time I seem to get this high pitched frequency when some televisions turn on and I don't know why. Nobody else ever hears it. I don't know what it could be. I could be anywhere and a certain television will give me this high pitched sound. I equate it to what a dog whistle sounds like to a dog. Why is this happening to me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,599 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:36 pm
Happens to me sometimes as well. Annoying. I am not sure what it is.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 02:42 pm
C.S., it may be tintinitis, but it would be wise to check it out. It seems to me that Schumann suffered from that problem, but I'm not certain.

Kristie is really ticked off. Smile
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:02 pm
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. it sounds something like that, but in the tone of my mothers singing voice, haha.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:08 pm
Yes, letty, that I am. I am very disappointed that Proposal 2 passed in Michigan. What a crock. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:13 pm
and my county went Republican, Kristie. Sad

Seriously, though, C.S. take a look at this:

http://www.geocities.com/nwbotanicals1/oak/newphysics/schumann.htm

Odd, no?
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:16 pm
Did you read ALL of that? I was in a hurry and also don't have quite the patience, but it is very interesting, thanks for the link.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:19 pm
Letty wrote:
and my county went Republican, Kristie. Sad

Seriously, though, C.S. take a look at this:

http://www.geocities.com/nwbotanicals1/oak/newphysics/schumann.htm

Odd, no?

that's ok. I won't shun you...this time. :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:33 pm
hee hee!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 03:40 pm
I also have the ability to hear very high pitched sounds. Those squawk boxes that are supposed to keep mice away from your house drive me nuts, as does any malfunctioning monitor.

Sometimes though, I hear a low pitched sound in one ear. At first I thought I was hearing neighbors making noise late at night, but finally came to realize it was probably some hearing damage.
0 Replies

neil

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 05:39 pm
The horizontal sweep frequncy of TV sets is a little over 15000 hertz. Infants hearing typically extends to 20,000 hertz, so many young people can hear the mechanical vibration of parts in the TV. Manufactures have made progress in reducing the sound level, so fewer people notice the sound than 50 years ago, when TVs were first coming into many homes.
I think computer monitors typically use a higher frequency and fewer watts of horizontal sweep, but it is reasonable that some people hear their monitor. Neil
0 Replies

Vengoropatubus

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 09:31 pm
I've found that if I flex my jaw muscles in a certain way, I get that exact same noise. I know this only because i can hear it too, except all the f****** time, and with my computer too.
0 Replies

wowcool

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2004 12:33 am
I noticed that the last post was placed in sept. but whatever.

I also have this problem and I have learned that I can get rid of it within one minute easily. All I do is tilt my head entirely to one side for a short period of time, if it doesn't work then tilt your head to the other side and try that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 10:08 pm
I tried that and my toupe fell off.

Regards,

John Ashcroft
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 09:51 pm
In my earlier days I also could hear the high pitched sound while my older parents could not. This would then fade after about 30 seconds or so. 50 years later I still hear a very high pitched sound on my much later model TV but the duration is extremely short (upon start up) compared with my earlier experiences. Perhaps the method used to eliminate this sound takes a small time to "Warm up" or perhaps it is just my neurological system fatiguing or becoming accustomed to the sound and just treating it as "background" noise only to be ignored.

The tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that Letty has suggested is a chronic medical condition that is probably not what we are talking about. My experience with this sound (TV) is somewhat weird. It was almost like I was somehow sensing the sound without hearing it. Maybe it has something to do with both ends of the audible spectrum like those that experience the low rumbles of elephants. The joy of low frequency I experience with fireworks and, earlier, the report of 155 howitzers, is where the sound is no longer heard so much as felt. Indeed the latter experience is so powerful it actually blows the dust off one's uniform! Of course, you might expect tinnitus to shortly follow.

JM
0 Replies

alexanderhunter

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 09:49 am
I experience the high pitched sound since childhood. Testing for hearing problems was done and my hearing was fine.
For me the ringing would initially occur when an old tv was about to put its' light in the center of the screen then grow the picture. Just before the light appeared at center screen the volume would build up in intensity, drop immediately, then fade afterward the picture expanded.
I can induce this sound by squeezing my jaw muscles.
I can also raise the intensity and lower it by focussing on it. Within the sound it feels like there is a vibrance maybe around 10 times a second that is just fast and subtle enough to be unsure it is
there.
When sick or stressed for a while it is strong and at these times my pattern recognition skills go through the roof.
I found this discussion by searching through many Google results pointing to Tinnitus, which I do not have and was tested for. This is the first that I have run across people with the same condition.
I looked a year back from the old tv point of view and looked into Pharnsworth and they had had people that "heard" transmissions, but that was different, they could tell you the content of the transmission, which I definitely cannot do.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:37 am
I was able to hear high-pitched sounds when I was a child. Some florescent lights were particularly annoying. It went away when I got a little older.

I expect that some people are able to hear a higher range of frequencies.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 10:32 pm
people here have the gene from a RAT Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 11:09 pm
tintinitis a 24/7 issue for me
0 Replies