what is homecoming?

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:25 pm
Hi! I'm learning about social events in United States and I want to know what homecoming is. Help please 🙈

View best answer, chosen by mon12345
centrox
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 02:59 pm
Homecoming is the tradition of welcoming back former students and celebrating a school's existence. It is a tradition in many high schools and colleges in the United States, Canada and the Philippines. Homecoming is an annual tradition in the United States. People, towns, high schools, and colleges come together, usually in late September or early October, to welcome back alumni and former residents. It is built around a central event, such as a banquet and, most often, a game of American football, or, on occasion, basketball, ice hockey or soccer. When celebrated by schools, the activities vary widely. However, they usually consist of a football game played on a school's home football field, activities for students and alumni, a parade featuring the school's marching band and sports teams, and the coronation of a Homecoming Queen (and at many schools, a Homecoming King). A dance commonly follows the game or the day following the game. When attached to a football game, Homecoming traditionally occurs on the team's return from the longest road trip of the season. The game itself, whether it be football or another sport, will typically feature the home team playing a considerably weaker opponent. The game is supposed to be an "easy win" and thus weaker schools will sometimes play lower division schools.

mon12345

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 04:54 pm
@centrox,
thanks very much!! ^^
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 04:57 pm
@centrox,
My high school used to pretty consistently lose its Homecoming games. Smile
roger

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2017 06:12 pm
@jespah,
My high school consistently played its homecoming game in the Orange Bowl. Don't know if either is still in existence, but University of Miami (in Coral Gables) kept trying to take away our playdate, but just couldn't draw the crowds.
0 Replies